Wm Buckley on John Kerry

Old February 5th 04, 08:51 PM
Big John

Default Wm Buckley on John Kerry

This url from National Review. A must read. Delivered by Wm Buckley
to the graduating class USMA 1971 about Kerry's activities in the
anti-Vietnam movement.

http://www.nationalreview.com/flashb...0402040837.asp

Big John
Old February 5th 04, 09:12 PM
Gary Drescher

Even if Buckley's speech weren't nonsensical, why would it be a "must read"
for an aviation newsgroup?

If you insist on using this group as a presidential campaign platform, don't
expect the other side to refrain from doing the same.

--Gary

Old February 5th 04, 09:19 PM
Peter Duniho

"Big John" wrote in message

This url from National Review. A must read.

It's a "must read" because why? I read it, and found nothing terribly new
or insightful or relevant to now, more than thirty years after Buckley made
the speech. Frankly, Buckley's jingoism seems pretty misguided in hindsight
and irrelevant to pilot discussions in any case.

I'll grant you, it's nice to have a reminder about how Kerry stood up for
what he felt was right, reporting his own personal experiences as a Vietnam
veteran, in a political environment he knew would not have easily accepted
the truth.

But none of that has to do with piloting. I see absolutely no reason this
is in any way on-topic in this newsgroup.

Pete

Old February 5th 04, 11:19 PM
Wdtabor

It's a "must read" because why? I read it, and found nothing terribly new
or insightful or relevant to now, more than thirty years after Buckley made
the speech. Frankly, Buckley's jingoism seems pretty misguided in hindsight
and irrelevant to pilot discussions in any case.

I'll grant you, it's nice to have a reminder about how Kerry stood up for
what he felt was right, reporting his own personal experiences as a Vietnam
veteran, in a political environment he knew would not have easily accepted
the truth.

But none of that has to do with piloting. I see absolutely no reason this
is in any way on-topic in this newsgroup.

I see no reason why, after the thread of a hundred or so posts deifying Kerry,
you find it offensive that one post points to his feet of clay.

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old February 5th 04, 11:48 PM
Gary Drescher

"Wdtabor" wrote in message
"Peter Duniho" wrote in message

But none of that has to do with piloting. I see absolutely no reason

this
is in any way on-topic in this newsgroup.

I see no reason why, after the thread of a hundred or so posts deifying

Kerry,
you find it offensive that one post points to his feet of clay.

Check that thread again, Don. It began with an on-topic post about Kerry as
a pilot, followed by some on-topic speculation (both pro and con) as to what
effect his election would have on GA. It veered into off-topic political
discussion when off-topic anti-Kerry notes were posted and drew rebuttals.

Personally, I don't mind occasional political discussions here when they
arise in the course of on-topic threads (I don't initiate such discussions,
though I sometimes respond to them). But here, we have a thread whose
initial post is simply an undisguised off-topic political statement.

--Gary

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL

Old February 5th 04, 11:53 PM
John Harlow

Watch out BJ, Larry's going to give you such the spanking.

Old February 6th 04, 01:45 AM
Wdtabor

Check that thread again, Don. It began with an on-topic post about Kerry as
a pilot, followed by some on-topic speculation (both pro and con) as to what
effect his election would have on GA. It veered into off-topic political
discussion when off-topic anti-Kerry notes were posted and drew rebuttals.

Personally, I don't mind occasional political discussions here when they
arise in the course of on-topic threads (I don't initiate such discussions,
though I sometimes respond to them). But here, we have a thread whose
initial post is simply an undisguised off-topic political statement.

--Gary

I took it as a followup to the previous thread, rather than a new one,

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old February 6th 04, 02:00 AM
Big John

There's been so much OT on Kerry that has drudged the political
depths, I though that this was 'almost' OT????

Bottom line, if you get a guy like this in the WH do you think he
will support GA?

Big John

Old February 6th 04, 02:28 AM
Jim Fisher

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
I'll grant you, it's nice to have a reminder about how Kerry stood up for

what he felt was right,
But none of that has to do with piloting. I see absolutely no reason this
is in any way on-topic in this newsgroup.

But ya' just had to reply and put your own two cents in, eh?

--
Jim Fisher

Old February 6th 04, 02:42 AM
Peter Duniho

"Wdtabor" wrote in message
I see no reason why, after the thread of a hundred or so posts deifying

Kerry

I don't recall that thread. I must've junked it long before it got to that
point. Whichever thread it was, I doubt it started out as a "let's deify
Kerry" thread.