Relieving in flight

Old April 8th 18, 07:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default Relieving in flight

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:56:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Ok guys, this has probably been covered in older posts but what are you all using regarding urinary relief on long flights? Ive used gallon ziplock bags in the past but whats your experience with cathaters. What brand and how are they.

Some of you will have heard of the IgNobel awards, given annually for
improbable or useless results. One year an awards was given for
"Injuries resulting from a zipper entrapped penis".
Maybe someone can contribute a followup paper.

JMF
Old April 8th 18, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:56:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
what are you all using... cathaters. What brand and how are they.

Use these:
https://www.vitalitymedical.com/ment...BoCk6kQAvD_BwE

Old April 8th 18, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

https://goo.gl/images/L9Ag8P

Don't guess on size or you'd better buy a box of rubber bands, too.

Coloplast will send you a sample pack for free, but you'd better print and cut out the sizing guide if you want the right fit.

Make sure your spousal unit is not around as you're preparing to take the measure of your man(hood) and muttering "not 25mm...not 25mm".

PA
Old April 8th 18, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Don't guess on size or you'd better buy a box of rubber bands, too.

You can use a string to check size. However, before strutting around thinking you are "off the scale," remember to divide by pi.

Also, some catheters use a very aggressive adhesive. I tried some silicone catheters from ZEE Medical and I thought I might die while trying to remove it. Lotta tension and grimacing while I tried to gently peel it off. I also thought I would might die of old age before all the glue residue was gone..

Finally, someone pointed out "Detachol'" which is specifically designed for the purpose. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Detachol-Ad...wAAOSwwWJauRvC)

I keep a bottle of it around with some cotton swabs.

The ZEE Medical catheters were discarded and I went back to the Freedeom Cath by Coloplast as described in a previous post.
Old April 9th 18, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

I used the others and now prefer these -

https://www.exmed.net/p-1351-colopla...dard-wear.aspx

Two reasons - 1) If you have a constriction in your system, the "accordion" at the tip gives you some time to figure out the problem before you have a wet mess and 2) They come in a shorterr "mid" length. Yea - laugh all you want but the shorter length has never failed and is much (!!) easier to remove at the end of the day.

Lou

PS - My system drains into a 4 liter collection located bag behind my seat. The collection bag is purchased from the same source and then placed in a open top waterproof bag "just in case". It saves wear and tear on the collection bag itself.
Old April 9th 18, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Reminds me of the time a local pilot loaned me one of his (a new,
unwrapped one) and told me it was too big for him.Â* After the flight, he
asked me how I liked it.Â* I told him it was a bit snug. How could I
resist? :-D

--
Dan, 5J
Old April 10th 18, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, December 20, 2017 at 9:56:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Ok guys, this has probably been covered in older posts but what are you all using regarding urinary relief on long flights? Ive used gallon ziplock bags in the past but whats your experience with cathaters. What brand and how are they.

Look Guys, do not inflate your ego by going a size too big, all it will do is make a big stain on your pants. use the right size, and if you contract to a small weenie then adjust the size not your ego. I use the Anaconda version, no rubber bands needed. Also drain into the gel pack and always make the bombing run over the trailer park. Remember to get the Care Bag, Urinal Masculin, male urinal bags they fall right from the sky. Bob
Old April 10th 18, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WB

On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 7:36:41 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Look Guys, do not inflate your ego by going a size too big, all it will do is make a big stain on your pants. use the right size, and if you contract to a small weenie then adjust the size not your ego. I use the Anaconda version, no rubber bands needed. Also drain into the gel pack and always make the bombing run over the trailer park. Remember to get the Care Bag, Urinal Masculin, male urinal bags they fall right from the sky. Bob

I think it was in Mike Collin's (Apollo 11 Command Module pilot) book "Carry the Fire" where he relates the story of NASA's first experience with condom catheters. They came in boxes marked "small", "medium", and "large". You can guess where that went with a bunch of test pilot astronauts. They solved the problem by relabeling the boxes "large", extra-large", and "humongous".
Old April 10th 18, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I have a new technique for taking care of this problem. 40 years ago I had a 8 hour bladder, but as I hit 65 things changed and now I have a two hour bladder. Don't worry young bucks you will get there someday. I now use these special bags that makes urine turn into gel. I fill them up on must flights and at the end of the day just open the side vent and give it a toss overboard. Well, your probably saying something like, "where does it fall"? Good question, I pick out the last thermal of the day which is usually over some close range trailer park and let it fly. What better place to have a bag of urine drop from the heavens.

Besides just being rude to our fellow man, glider pilots are so few in numbers we just should not be trying to alienate ourselves from the public. A little good will goes a long way.
Old April 10th 18, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

I managed to procure some brass fittings for pee tubes from a friend:
Trombone mouthpieces. Brass (especially trumpet) players usually have a collection of mouthpieces like Imelda Marcos' shoes.
Perhaps tuba mouthpieces might be a better fit, but it's hard to catch a tuba player when he isn't at his day job. "You want fries with that?"
Of course my friend enjoyed the intended use of his old mouthpieces. If you want a laugh, hang around with the horn section.
Jim