F-14 vs. F-15 accel.

Old December 24th 04, 12:40 AM
Dave Kearton

lots of snippage

--

I was going to suggest Air Force against Navy, but that's been done.

What ever happened to the Navy crew that shot down the USAF Phantom by
mistake ? Would have been 15-20 years ago, in the Med as I recall.

Not intended as a jab at either side, just curious.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old December 24th 04, 12:53 AM
Allen Epps

In article , Dave Kearton
wrote:

I was going to suggest Air Force against Navy, but that's been done.

What ever happened to the Navy crew that shot down the USAF Phantom by
mistake ? Would have been 15-20 years ago, in the Med as I recall.

Not intended as a jab at either side, just curious.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

The one I recall was an F-4 (RF-4?) crew shot down by an F-14. circa 87
IIRC But I'm sure someone here remembers the details better than I.
Pugs
Old December 24th 04, 04:10 AM
Elmshoot

I was going to suggest Air Force against Navy, but that's been done.

What ever happened to the Navy crew that shot down the USAF Phantom by
mistake ? Would have been 15-20 years ago, in the Med as I recall.

Not intended as a jab at either side, just curious.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Dave,
We had one of the guys on the news group who worked on this guys FENAB while at
Airpac I think.... if I think real hard while the rum is working I think it was
Wil DroskL of the steel JAws fame.
He can fill in the blanks
Merry christmas
Sparky
Pugs,
You gona make it back west for xmas? Up to our A## in snow.

Old December 24th 04, 01:19 PM
John Carrier

Fleet use of flaps for low speed maneuvering was universal. About a
4-potato count to get 1/2 flaps. Trim was also used extensively. You'd run
in trim for a turn and use back stick to fine tune it ... just a wee bit
more efficient using the whole slab vice just the elevator. Slats were
problematic. They weren't designed for maneuvering and (particularly in
older, misaligned aircraft) reluctant to deploy symmetrically above 300.
Most guys would plan their turns so that slats were either going to stay up,
or they'd be below 300 before they came out. Once the slats out turn was
done, a little bunt was sometimes required to get 'em up for optimized
acceleration.

One of the Advanced RI simulator hops involved high density altitude T/O and
approach. So I'd give the stud a full bag TA-4, Cannon AFB (highest field
in the database with approach templates), and 100 degrees RW temp (highest
the sim would go). Takeoff run was leisurely, once airborne he could climb
(barely) or accelerate to flap speed (barely), but not simultaneously. A
nice aero lesson to prepare him for the real world.

R / John

"Elmshoot" wrote in message
Hoops Stewart, my main IUT instructor,
in
a TA-4(P-6 engine), with Tumor(our RIO) in the trunk.

I know the Traning command put some more restrictions on us like no Flaps
during the fight, so it was far game to throw them out in the fleet?
Also I remember that NATOPS prohibited aero braking after landing but when
got to VC-12 OMARS it was considered normal to Aero Brake after touchdown
I was
shocked the first time it happened. It was my first experience flying a
MAX
weight A-4 as well. Two full drops and an RMK-31 tow reel pod on the
centerline. The brief was if anything happened to the engine below 1000'
automatic eject. Up to 5K you get one attempt to figure out and do
something
then step out. What a PIG!!!
Sparky

Old December 24th 04, 04:54 PM
Pechs1

Doug- Donk Ryan? BRBR

Donk Szoka-
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 24th 04, 04:57 PM
Pechs1

Doug- Wigs was my CAG in CVW-15 circa 91-92. A LEGENDARY aviator and all
around
great guy. The whole air wing idolized him. Flew the Hornet, the Tomcat
(day/night), and got qualled in the SH-60 (even as a HAC IIRC). BRBR

A SHAME what the USN 'leadership' did to him. Took a promising, Flag bound
Naval Officer and Aviator and crushed the life out of him.

Tailhook '91 hurt a lot of fine people so that turds like Kelly and others
could get their next star.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old December 24th 04, 05:05 PM
Allen Epps

In article , Elmshoot
wrote:

Merry christmas
Sparky
Pugs,
You gona make it back west for xmas? Up to our A## in snow.

Nope, two deer in the freezer and we're in Maryland for the holidays.
Enjoy that white midwest Christmas Sparky! Called my parents in FL
where thye are snowbirding and Dad was out flying in the balmy wx.

Pugs
Old December 24th 04, 05:26 PM
Frijoles

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Frijoles- My first 1v1 dissimilar sortie
was against USAF AT-38, second against Canadian F-5A, third against VF-126
A-4F (circa 1984, P-8 BRBR

Your third ever 1v1 against a VF-126 A-4E/F...and you won? Must have been
such
that the A-4 was 'hands tied' somehow via the brief.

If it's a visual setup, like a mile abeam, 350 kts, tough to beat the
'Dog'...or maybe it was Donk flyin??
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye
Phlyer

Read it again -- third dissimilar, and yes --won. I also had lotsa similar
stuff prior. IIRC the pilot had just come from the fleet F-4 world.

Old December 24th 04, 07:54 PM
John Carrier

Wigs was the real thing. The kind of guy everyone wants working for them.
The kind of guy everyone wants to work for. Knew him when he was off his
first tour as a TG instructor and again in Va Beach when I was his son's
Webelos scout leader. The Ultimate Class act!

Only the Navy would take such great pleasure in devouring its most promising
young.

R / John