What kind of pod is it?

Old February 21st 05, 12:28 PM

Default What kind of pod is it?

http://www.fencecheck.com/forums/ind...1009.0;id=9987

A very nice photo, indeed, but could anyone point out what are the pods
attached to the outboard wing stations?

I would guess these are so-called "personal pods" used for ferry
flights, but as far as I remember they should be a bit larger (more
similar in size to an external fuel tank). It may also look like a
7-shot FFAR or 4-shot Zuni launchers, But the caps should be removed
for flight, shouldn't they?

Kind regards,

Jacek Zemlo

Old February 21st 05, 12:33 PM
Ralph Savelsberg

They look very similar to the data link pod associated with the AGM-62
Walleye / AGM-84E SLAM, though I can't think of any reason to carry two
of those pods without any of the weapons. AFAIK the pods used for
luggage are 'fatter'.

Regards,
Ralph

Old February 21st 05, 08:55 PM
Mike Kanze

Jacek,

"personal pods"

Referred to as "blivets" during my day (1969 - 1974). They were not as
frequently used then as in later years, I understand.

The "straight" (non-KA-6D) A-6 had enough space in the Etensible Equipment
Platform (the "birdcage") for the crew's hanging bags of civvies and shaving
kits. The T-2 had enough cube in the nose cone for 3 - 4 cases of Coors
Beer, very popular in the Meridian, MS of the late 1960s when you couldn't
buy it outside of Colorado.

--
Mike Kanze

- Napoleon Bonaparte

oups.com...

Old February 21st 05, 09:11 PM

Yes, but it has just come to my mind the datalink pods were to be
carried on the centerline station (as seen on the bottom of this page:
http://www.voodoo.cz/hornet/arm.html ), or inboard wing stations, but
the outboard stations were usually "reserved" for large weapons like
SLAM or Walleye itself. So, maybe these pods are also a kind of
"luggage" this time?

Marine FAC-configured F/A-18Ds use the outboard stations also for
LAU-10 4-tube Zuni launchers - and hence my suspections. But this is
definitely a Navy aircraft, and the USN has some reasons to NOT love
Zunis.

Regards,

Jacek

Old February 21st 05, 10:50 PM
John Miller

Mike Kanze wrote:
The "straight" (non-KA-6D) A-6 had enough space in the Etensible Equipment
Platform (the "birdcage") for the crew's hanging bags of civvies and shaving
kits. The T-2 had enough cube in the nose cone for 3 - 4 cases of Coors
Beer, very popular in the Meridian, MS of the late 1960s when you couldn't
buy it outside of Colorado.

....and when you bought a case, you'd get change back from a $5.00 bill.
Those *were* the days.
--
John Miller
In Dallas, at the time
Old February 21st 05, 10:55 PM
Tex Houston

"John Miller" wrote in message
Mike Kanze wrote:
The "straight" (non-KA-6D) A-6 had enough space in the Etensible
Equipment Platform (the "birdcage") for the crew's hanging bags of
civvies and shaving kits. The T-2 had enough cube in the nose cone for
3 - 4 cases of Coors Beer, very popular in the Meridian, MS of the late
1960s when you couldn't buy it outside of Colorado.

...and when you bought a case, you'd get change back from a $5.00 bill.
Those *were* the days.
--
John Miller

Even in the early 60s Coors was distributed in sixteen Western States.

Tex

Old February 22nd 05, 01:37 AM
Mike Kanze

Even in the early 60s Coors was distributed in sixteen Western States.

....But not in Mississippi, a place decidedly east of Colorado.

--
Mike Kanze

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old February 22nd 05, 08:16 AM
Joe Delphi

"Tex Houston" wrote in message

Even in the early 60s Coors was distributed in sixteen Western States.

Tex

Not in Nebraska, although Nebraska is thought of more as a Mid-Western
state, than a Western state.

JD

Old February 22nd 05, 08:20 AM
Joe Delphi

"Ralph Savelsberg" wrote in message
They look very similar to the data link pod associated with the AGM-62
Walleye / AGM-84E SLAM, though I can't think of any reason to carry two
of those pods without any of the weapons. AFAIK the pods used for
luggage are 'fatter'.

Regards,
Ralph

I think the nomenclature for that pod is AWW-7 Data Link pod. If it is
possible for this pod to control AGM-62s or AGM-84s that were launched by
other aircraft, then maybe that explains it.

JD

Old February 22nd 05, 09:34 AM

As far as I can remember it from a book about the "Flamboyant Markings
1965-1975" by Rene Francillon, the Coors beer was so popular, that its
trade mark became the official insignia for one of A-4 Skyhawk
squadrons.

Best regards,

Jacek