Cessna 150 @ $11,245 per hour

Old February 12th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Cessna 150 @ $11,245 per hour

Well, at least that's my cost basis since I've only put on a little
under 2 hours so far for the demo flight and the short hop home to RDU.
I'm a long-time lurker, first time poster, and first time aircraft
owner. I've learned quite a bit since finalizing the sale just this past
Wednesday, but perhaps the most I've learned is just how little I know!

I have a couple quick questions that I haven't yet found good answers to
elsewhere. I'd appreciate any advice you've got or links to more info.
And if you know someone with a good website on D.I.Y. interior
refurbishment, I'd love to hear about it.

1) Duct Tape residue: Previous owner had duct taped a for sale sign
inside the windshield. It left a couple small lines of residue that
fortunately don't distract from the view forward. But I would like to
clean it off. Any suggestions on what will clean the goo without
destroying the plastic?

2) Control wheel replacement: The control wheels are downright
embarrassing with flaking paint and other surface ugliness. I was
looking at some replacements (ACS Products in the Aircraft Spruce
catalog). Anybody have experience with this? Is this an "owner performed
maintenance" replaceable item? On one hand, it doesn't appear to be a
"complex disassembly", but it *is* a pretty important piece. I'd hate to
render the aircraft unairworthy my first week...

3) Seat belts: The seat belt hardware is attractive and in good shape,
but the fabric is faded and starting to fray in a few places. Does
anyone just sell replacement material for the belts? All I've seen in
the catalogs are whole assemblies including hardware.

4) Glare shield eyebrow pad: The padding that runs the width of the top
of the glare shield is cracked and fading. I've got the parts and
service manuals in the mail to me from Essco, so I'm guessing I could
just look up the replacement part. But it this something that can simply
be re-covered?

TIA for any help. Hopefully I can start to give back as I figure some of
this stuff out.

--Matthew
Old February 12th 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

B A R R Y wrote:

I don't have any answers to your questions. I just wanted to wish you
well and congratulate you on your purchase. G

Well-wishing is also most welcome!
--Matthew
Old February 13th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

TNWings.com makes carpet and seat kits for the Cessna 150. They also
have a leather cover for the eyebrow pad. I've done all three and am
well pleased with Shelby's products and service. Have you considered a
leather cover for the yokes instead of refinishing? Try
www.warrengregoire.com -- Haven't used them but they advertise in
magazines and Trade-A-Plane.

Old February 13th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

150flivver wrote:
TNWings.com makes carpet and seat kits for the Cessna 150. They also
have a leather cover for the eyebrow pad. I've done all three and am
well pleased with Shelby's products and service. Have you considered a
leather cover for the yokes instead of refinishing? Try
www.warrengregoire.com -- Haven't used them but they advertise in
magazines and Trade-A-Plane.

Thanks. That eyebrow refurb is exactly what I was looking for.
--Matthew
Old February 13th 06, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Duct tape residue. Dont use paper towels on the glass. Use only soft
cotton (old t-shirts). Use one of the window cleners made for plexi or
soap and wter. Scrape with your fingernails if you must.

Seat Belts. Strongly consider putting in shoulder harnesses. They have
saved many lives. There is a kit with an STC for this. You will need an
IA signoff on the STC.

Good luck. A Cessna 150 is a great airplane!

Old February 13th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

try alcohol or turpentine for the for the ductape gooze. Shouldn't hurt
the plastic.
Seat Belt material can only be repleced by a certificated shop.
You can usually wash them and help them out.

Remember that if the seat belt is faded, its strength is usually very
compromised.
Best to get them repaired properly.

Old February 13th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

mce wrote:
[...]

Welcome to the money-drain owner's club!

For the windows, try Johnson Pled (furniture cleaner)
first, and Plexiglass polish next, if Pled does not work.

My current plane is a Piper Turbo Arrow IV, OH-PYM.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi
Old February 14th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Comments interspersed below...

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 21:37:02 GMT, mce wrote:

1) Duct Tape residue: Previous owner had duct taped a for sale sign
inside the windshield. It left a couple small lines of residue that
fortunately don't distract from the view forward. But I would like to
clean it off. Any suggestions on what will clean the goo without
destroying the plastic?

Easy.....WD-40... and a soft cloth, or a WET paper towel, (wet with
water first)

2) Control wheel replacement: The control wheels are downright
embarrassing with flaking paint and other surface ugliness. I was
looking at some replacements (ACS Products in the Aircraft Spruce
catalog). Anybody have experience with this? Is this an "owner performed
maintenance" replaceable item? On one hand, it doesn't appear to be a
"complex disassembly", but it *is* a pretty important piece. I'd hate to
render the aircraft unairworthy my first week...

Have your mechanic remove them, or cover the inside of plane, mask ,
sand & paint with good quality enamel. (I know, but it worked great
for us)

3) Seat belts: The seat belt hardware is attractive and in good shape,
but the fabric is faded and starting to fray in a few places. Does
anyone just sell replacement material for the belts? All I've seen in
the catalogs are whole assemblies including hardware.

Several firms reweb belt assemblies....

Dave

Old February 14th 06, 06:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Thanks everyone : was Cessna 150 @ $11,245 per hour

I appreciate all the comments and advice. The duct tape goo came off
with a combination of soaking it with a thick plexiglas cleaner for a
few minutes, then some thumbnail scraping when it softened.

I finally found the rivets in the control wheel. Some jury-rigged
approach plate holder secured with wads of electrical tape were
obscuring the connection area. I think that upgrade is going to wait
until the next annual.

And yes, I subscribe to the print edition of TAP. My wife once wondered
aloud if she would prefer that I receive some other publication wrapped
in plastic...

--Matthew