Experimentals To Be Banned To Rural Airports?

Old August 29th 08, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

Default Experimentals To Be Banned To Rural Airports?

In article Y4Htk.1161$Ro1.744@trnddc04, "Mike" wrote:

Nobody wants to give up their "right" to
drive with a cell phone, ignore speed limits, run stop lights, etc. even
though such activity puts other people at risk.

"drive with a cell phone" .... ohmygawd. Hey, what about drive with
one of those GPS thingies, or changing CDs or scanning thru XM radio or....?
Maybe we should require a sterile car so that nothing, absolutely nothing
can distract the driver.

(yep - this crusade about talking on a cellphone is a hot button for me).

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old August 29th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
"Steve Foley" wrote:

"T. "Tim" Timothy Haag aka HyoogeUmp56" wrote in
message ...
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1199-full.html#198676

'Clark County Aviation Director Randy Walker said he thinks experimental
airplanes should be restricted to airports that are located in less densely
populated areas. "I think the regulatory process on airport systems need to
be revisited in the coming weeks. I am going to ask to meet with the members
of our congressional delegation to see if something can be done," he said at
a news conference. "I do not believe under our circumstances that
experimental and high-risk aircraft operations, such as training and solo
flights, belong in an urban airport," he said.'

Seems pretty short-sighted for an Aviation Director. I also think it's naive
for him to think that anything will be done "in the coming weeks".

The guy is obviously an ignorant a$$! He seems to have no experience in
REAL GA -- probably an ex-military heavy driver.

Old August 29th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
BobR

On Aug 28, 6:27*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
By definition, experimental aircraft have unknown characteristics. *It makes
sense that you'd want to test them out away from heavily populated areas.
Boeing and other civilian and military manufacturers don't test out their new
designs at LAX.

You are right about the initial tests which is why I will be using an
airport with nice large fields at both ends and no population centers
within a couple of miles. That was a choice that I could make but is
not available to every homebuilder. Most of our airports have been
surrounded by housing developments which greatly restrict operations
including those for non-experimental aircraft.
Old August 29th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Randy Walker is not a friend of General Aviation.. he is not in an elected
position.
He is the Administrator for the Clark County Department of Aviation.
He knows not the common people he serves.. he serves only the airlines and
the Metro Airport that brings tourists into this city.

NTSB statistics prove that of the 37 accidents at this airport since the
county took over in 1982, only 3 were experimental aircraft. If Mr Walker
wants to ban the dangerous aircraft, then he needs to ban the factory built
aircraft that accounted for 34 accidents in 26 years.

The County needs to take part of the responsibility. They have allowed
encroachment on an airport that was built in the country, opening day on Dec
7th 1941. They have just spent millions building up the Henderson airport in
the south valley and are now allowing encroachment on that airport to go
unchecked.

Part of the statements of Mr Walker that are not published in AvWeb, but was
on CNN nation wide, were that he also wants to ban student pilots and
training.

BT

Old August 29th 08, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Hix

In article
,
Orval Fairbairn wrote:

In article ,
"Steve Foley" wrote:

[...]

Equally likely, he's some local small-pond political type who got the
position because nobody else wanted it, but he figured it would look
good on his resumé on his advance to his ultimate goal of becoming
chairman of the local county board of supervisors.

But he's seen pictures of airplanes in a book. Once.
Old August 29th 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Hix

In article , "BT"
wrote:

[...]

He's a lawyer, right?
Old August 29th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dale Scroggins[_2_]

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
"T. "Tim" Timothy Haag aka HyoogeUmp56" wrote in
message ...
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/1199-full.html#198676

'Clark County Aviation Director Randy Walker said he thinks experimental
airplanes should be restricted to airports that are located in less
densely populated areas. "I think the regulatory process on airport
systems need to be revisited in the coming weeks. I am going to ask to
meet with the members of our congressional delegation to see if something
can be done," he said at a news conference. "I do not believe under our
circumstances that experimental and high-risk aircraft operations, such as
training and solo flights, belong in an urban airport," he said.'

Seems pretty short-sighted for an Aviation Director. I also think it's
naive for him to think that anything will be done "in the coming weeks".

Depends upon whether the approaches & departures of that airport meet the
definition of a "densely populated area" noted in 91.319(c). If the
Director gets an interpretation from a local FAA office that it is, then the
homebuilders in the area might want to examine their operation limitations.

Old August 29th 08, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
BT

The report in today's paper.. (taken with 15 pounds of salt), the aircraft
had recently been approved for operations at the north Las Vegas Airport by
the FAA inspectors.

There was discussions at the airport with the local FSDO in 2006 about
restricting Phase 1 flying at the airport.
This aircraft had meet the restrictions imposed for initial flights, and was
approved for continued operations from VGT.

BT

Old August 29th 08, 06:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Sadly another airplane has crashed in the vicinity of the North Las Vegas
airport.
A Piper Navajo departed VGT and shortly after departure he called the tower
that he was returning with a rough running engine. The pilot was solo, no
pax. Witnesses on the ground reported the aircraft was on fire and fire
crews were responding to meet the aircraft at the airport when it crashed
short of the runway in a local neighborhood. There were no fatalities to
people on the ground.

BT

Old August 29th 08, 12:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"BT" wrote in message

Part of the statements of Mr Walker that are not published in AvWeb, but

was
on CNN nation wide, were that he also wants to ban student pilots and
training.

Those statements were included in the AvWeb story: