Too Old?

Old August 31st 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Gezellig

Default Too Old?

Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?
Old August 31st 08, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting

In rec.aviation.piloting Gezellig wrote:
Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

When you can't pass the medical; that's what it is for.

Everyone's biology is different.

I think just about everyone knows people who are healthy as a horse
and in their late 80's and people who've dropped dead in their 50's.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old August 31st 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gezellig writes:

Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Pilots undergo a physical exam that verifies that they are in robust health.
As long as they can pass the exam, age is irrelevant.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

Most people will place the cutoff at their own age plus twenty years or so.

But there is no justification for a cutoff.
Old August 31st 08, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ramsey

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Gezellig writes:

Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Pilots undergo a physical exam that verifies that they are in robust
health.
As long as they can pass the exam, age is irrelevant.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

Most people will place the cutoff at their own age plus twenty years or
so.

But there is no justification for a cutoff.

What a dumb ass.

That's a lame attempt at a troll.

Let's see how many dumb ****s answer you.

Old August 31st 08, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
gorgon

Let's see how many dumb ****s answer you.

Looks like at least one did.
Old August 31st 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Gezellig" wrote in message
Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

Steve Wittman went up and did an airshow for his guests at his 90'th
birthday party.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old August 31st 08, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Ramsey

"gorgon" wrote in message
Let's see how many dumb ****s answer you.

Looks like at least one did.

Don't look now, but I didn't answer him, and neither did you.

Old August 31st 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

On Aug 31, 4:43 pm, "Ramsey" @##@.^net wrote:
"gorgon" wrote in message

Let's see how many dumb ****s answer you.

Looks like at least one did.

Don't look now, but I didn't answer him, and neither did you.

Your still the only one to answer.
Lou
Old August 31st 08, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
a[_3_]

On Aug 31, 5:43*pm, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk @See My
Sig.com wrote:
"Gezellig" wrote in message

Recently a 72 yo went blind in flight (stroke?) and safely landed in the
drink in FL. Several comments were that age should be considered in
keeping your PPL. I can see this makes sense /but/ it would prolly be
illegal.

Too old? If so, at what age do you place the cutoff?

Steve Wittman went up and did an airshow for his guests at his 90'th
birthday party.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Don't overlook the really firm medical cutoff that does exist for non
solo PIC. I think it's 16, but could be wrong.
Old September 1st 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Viperdoc[_3_]

The physical exam does not verify anything, and is largely a screening tool.
Besides, you don't fly anyway, and it doesn't matter to the rest of us who
do.