VHF Aviation FBO Antenna

Old January 23rd 12, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Phil

Default VHF Aviation FBO Antenna

Hello , am looking for advise on a VHF Omni directional antenna for a small
fixed base operation , looked at a commercial ant. and the price is a little
high for a 1/4 wave vertical , am sure the quality is there but am wondering
if I could modify a Ringo or something else to work just as good , would
have it resonate on 123.000 as this is our Unicom freq., a little gain would
be OK .
Thanks
Phil L.
W8KLK

Old January 23rd 12, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 23:43:13 -0500, "Phil" wrote:

Hello , am looking for advise on a VHF Omni directional antenna for a small
fixed base operation , looked at a commercial ant. and the price is a little
high for a 1/4 wave vertical , am sure the quality is there but am wondering
if I could modify a Ringo or something else to work just as good , would
have it resonate on 123.000 as this is our Unicom freq., a little gain would
be OK .
Thanks
Phil L.
W8KLK

Have you looked at RST?

Regards,
Bob KA7HLB
Old January 23rd 12, 07:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

"Phil" wrote in message ...
Hello , am looking for advise on a VHF Omni directional antenna for a
small fixed base operation , looked at a commercial ant. and the price is
a little high for a 1/4 wave vertical , am sure the quality is there but
am wondering if I could modify a Ringo or something else to work just as
good , would have it resonate on 123.000 as this is our Unicom freq., a
little gain would be OK .
Thanks
Phil L.
W8KLK

Phil,

Why don't you build a J-Bar?
http://www.soaridaho.com/Antenna/J-Bar_Antenna.htm

Or even simpler, sting the following antenna in side a vertical piece of PVC
pipe.
http://www.soaridaho.com/Antenna/

Wayne
W7ADK

Old January 23rd 12, 12:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Scott[_7_]

On 1-23-2012 04:43, Phil wrote:
Hello , am looking for advise on a VHF Omni directional antenna for a small
fixed base operation , looked at a commercial ant. and the price is a little
high for a 1/4 wave vertical , am sure the quality is there but am wondering
if I could modify a Ringo or something else to work just as good , would
have it resonate on 123.000 as this is our Unicom freq., a little gain would
be OK .
Thanks
Phil L.
W8KLK

Of course, there is always the standard 1/4 wave antenna made with an
SO-239 chassis mount antenna connector. 1/16" brass rod from
Menards/Home Depot, etc. works great for the elements.

At 123 MHz, the vertical element for the center pin should be just shy
of 23" total from tip to bottom of the solder cup on the connector
(22.83" to be exact, but not extremely critical) and the radial elements
should be about 24" and bent so they droop at a 45 degree angle.

A standard PL259 connector fits nicely inside a piece of 3/4" copper
water pipe. You can cut some slots about 3/4" long in the end of the
pipe with a hacksaw , slide the PL259 in until the SO239 bottoms out
against the pipe and secure with a hose clamp. I would use a short
piece of copper pipe as a long 10' piece might be apt to bend over in
high winds.

http://www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html

Old January 25th 12, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering[_2_]

I just designed and made one for the son of one of my students. It
cost us about $5 in bits and pieces. I've posted it to my public
folder on Dropbox ) It will appear in Kitplanes
this May if you want to wait that long.

Use it with my compliments.

Jim

Com Antenna Tony Condon[_2_] Soaring 2 May 5th 09 03:11 AM
antenna et Home Built 7 June 29th 08 04:00 PM
GPS Antenna 150flivver Owning 14 December 11th 05 06:38 AM
Using Wideband Aviation Antenna for TV Reception? CHANGE USERNAME TO westes General Aviation 1 July 7th 04 12:32 AM
where's the THRILL is flying, rec.aviation.balloon,   rec.aviation.hang-gliding, rec.aviation.powerchutes, rec.aviation.soaring BW Rotorcraft 0 October 15th 03 11:42 AM