Tow Immunity Syndrome

Old December 31st 18, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Default Tow Immunity Syndrome

Our tow pilot seems to be suffering from a new disease that we have diagnosed as TOW IMMUNITY SYNDROME. I guess this happens when you get a bit older and don't see things as you once did.
Let me describe the symptoms and please let me know of a remedy. First, he has lost a bit of spunk, shows up and sits in his truck and watches Three Stooges cartoons until everything is out of the hangar. Secondly he waits for someone to wash the windshield of the Pawnee. The next thing you know he is singing some crazy song that he wrote called, "SEABREEZE BABY". He will not get out of the towplane, stays in there for hours on end looking at his phone, guess he must be looking at more Stooges clips on YOUTUBE.
He doesn't like my grilled hot dogs for lunch, the dogs are pretty good, even come with potato chips. His request for lunch is my cigar ash chili, and it is pretty good. He did recently take one of the powdered sugar donuts from Dunkin, but he ate it in the Pawnee, now we fly with sugar dust coming from the tow plane.
We recently took on a new member who is a clinical psychologist, she is working on a treatment plan, I asked her if she thought he was crazy, she replied that we all are a bit crazy. One word of advice came from an old friend, "Don't **** Off The Tow Pilot". Thanks to all the tow pilots.
Old December 31st 18, 02:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 11:24:34 PM UTC+11, Bob Youngblood wrote:
[...]

Bloody glider pilots, what a pain they are. Never ready on time, always farting about adjusting something. They can't stay straight on tow, especially when I'm thermalling in sink. Then they have the nerve to complain about how I dropped them in the wrong place. One guy even got on the radio to complain that I was turning the wrong way in a thermal - you know who you are Don!!!! Hey guys, I'm a tow pilot YOU are the glider pilots - you find the bloody lift. You think you are so special - bunch of princesses. My Pawnee only has a poxy up and down meter - you have those crazy expensive variometers - so USE THEM!

Happy New Year (just kidding - partly)
Old December 31st 18, 03:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

Yes, I agree, I fly both ends of the rope. My complaint is that most glider gods are not ready to launch when the tow plane gets ready for the hookup. Some as you say are busy fiddling around with their fancy computers and other gadgets. My favorite tow pilot was a guy named Bill Harris from Miami. If you weren't ready he would find time to go grab a lunch and take his time about getting you in the air. After the glider gods caught on to his disdain it wasn't long before the Glider Gods were ready for takeoff when the towplane arrived.
Old December 31st 18, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Nope, not a towpilot.
Yes, been around for about 4 decades, in a club as well at contests.

I can understand the TP issues.

I will give up a tow spot if I'm not ready. My job is to be ready, no need to hurt the next in line or make the TP wait.

Good ground crew will give about 1 minute heads up to next tow. Pilot not ready, yank you back a slot or so.
You (glider pilot) need to be ready.
Operations need to shovel others up in the air.

If I am not ready in my mind, I have no issues getting bumped a slot or two.

Yes, during my deadtime on the ground, I have no issues running liquids or snacks to the TP.
Yes, I have a family member that tows, so I have some more reason.
Old January 1st 19, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 5:24:34 AM UTC-7, Bob Youngblood wrote:
[...]

Generally I respect tow pilots, though there are some exceptions. I don't fly power as I'm colorblind, so night flying was never an option. Now, most organizations have a chief tow pilot who provides guidance on the policies and procedures of a particular site. I've also watched tows in 50kt headwinds where both the tow pilot and glider pilot were willing and experienced (although the glider pilot's wife refused to retrieve him if he landed out). It was interesting to see the pair rise mostly vertical during the launch. FWIW, the tow pilot is one of the most safety conscious tow pilots and CFI-G's I know.

Frank Whiteley
Old January 24th 19, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 7:24:34 AM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:

I fly "both ends of the rope" routinely too ... and I am not sure what this is all about other than a whining session.

If you don't have access where ground launch is possible, then soaring only exists because there are towplanes and tow pilots.

there are a LOT of problems with tow-planes and towing at the moment; big cost problems and regulatory difficulties, and the national supply of towplanes is going down, and I am really worried about the longer-term existence of our sport in the USA, due to towplane problems.

Could we perhaps have a discussion about the big issues? My list of these would be:

1. Towplanes are getting bloody expensive: to buy, to maintain, to tow with ... you name it.

2. A lot of the worst sailplane accidents involve towing and the towplane. Last year my club had a kiting-on-take-off episode -- amazingly nobody was hurt, destroyed the towplane, scared the bejezus out of everybody, me included. We survived as a club, but not easy.

3. Most soaring clubs exist to keep a towplane ... see #1. It's getting worse

Old January 24th 19, 07:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ian[_2_]

On 2019/01/24 03:05, wrote:

there are a LOT of problems with tow-planes and towing at the moment;
big cost problems and regulatory difficulties, and the national
supply of towplanes is going down, and I am really worried about the
longer-term existence of our sport in the USA, due to towplane
problems.

Our cub just bought one of these:

http://airplanefactory.co.za/aircraft/sling-2/

We bought a 2nd hand airframe and had it fitted with a brand new Rotax
914 turbo engine and auto variable pitch prop. It is fitted with a Tost
tow rope retract winch.

So far so good. Tow performance matches the 180 HP Super Cub it
replaced. Operating costs are much lower. Lower fuel consumption and
mogas that is cheaper than avgas. The jury is still out on the long term
cost of ownership. We will find out when we have to replace that turbo
motor.

The airframe is aluminium, tricycle u/c lets it taxi and turn around
like a golf cart and it is easier to find qualified tuggies - but they
have to have experience and ratings to handle the turbo VP pitch motor.
It was designed as an LSA trainer so it is light but not too fragile.

It helps that the manufacturer is a local South African company and they
are 150% behind supporting us. We have some very keen members who want
to make it work and some others who extended low interest bridging
finance to the club.

A lot of time was spent with our local regulators to put together a
package that ticked all the boxes. Ours is registered as an aeroplane,
not an LSA. But the new increase weight limit for LSA regulations may
help in some countries.

My only negative comment is it needs some positive flap to keep speed
down to 120km/h while towing, particularly for fabric trainers. But on
the other hand it tows a fully ballasted 21m JS1 in over 35C. Our site
is near sea level but the turbo will help for higher altitude sites.

Lastly it takes a while to warm up the turbo motor and more idle time to
cool down after landing. So it is important not to stop between tows.
The next glider pilot just HAS to be ready when it lands!

Old January 24th 19, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Good questions.

1.Â* There are many planes that are usable as tugs and aren't retired
crop dusters.Â* I know it's not manly to fly with a nose wheel (sarcasm),
but I think a C-182 does a fine job and there's an STC to install a tow
hook.Â* And 182s are relatively cheap and there is a large network of
parts, mechanics, etc. to keep them flying.Â* At my location all three
tugs (all old dusters) are down and the owner is working furiously to
get one or two back to flying status before the soaring season starts
back up.Â* You can also use a Super Cub, Citabria, etc. instead of a
Pawnee.Â* I have towed with an L-19, Maule, Super Cub, Citabria, Pawnee,
Call Air, and Ag Wagon, admittedly all tail draggers, but I've seen
videos of 182s towing at large contests.Â* Take a look.

2.Â* It would be really hard to put a 182 on its nose and, besides, the
accident you described was caused by the glider pilot, not the tug.

3.Â* If your club doesn't own it's own field, find a county airport that
is not heavily used and set up a ground launch operation. Present a plan
if necessary on how you will operate with power traffic, get a winch or
a capable car or truck and begin ground launching.Â* I have flown into
and out of many small airports while on ground launch safaris.Â* It's fun!

Good luck!

--
Dan, 5J

Tow Pilot Deficiency Syndrome sisu1a Soaring 3 February 2nd 09 09:01 AM
FM Immunity Tman[_2_] Piloting 6 December 8th 08 07:25 PM
The Chino Syndrome ? Damian Piloting 2 September 12th 04 11:27 PM