XCSoar Question

Old June 14th 16, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default XCSoar Question

I've noticed with the latest versions of XCSoar that, while circling, a
blue line sometimes appears across my track as though providing some
kind of guidance or information. I've gone through the latest manual
and can't find anything about it. Do any other XCSoar users have an
idea of what it's for?

--
Dan, 5J
Old June 14th 16, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is the line curved into the turn?
Old June 14th 16, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 8:54:16 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've noticed with the latest versions of XCSoar that, while circling, a
blue line sometimes appears across my track as though providing some
kind of guidance or information. I've gone through the latest manual
and can't find anything about it. Do any other XCSoar users have an
idea of what it's for?

--
Dan, 5J

One of the most useful features of XCSoar, the curvature of the blue line indicates the forward path of the glider and it varies based on the bank angle - in real time.

You can use it to adjust your bank angle in order to accurately intercept the location of best lift you had gone through before as you circle.

David
Old June 15th 16, 12:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

To reply to both questions, I'm familiar with the projected flight
vector and how to use it to intercept the best lift. The line I'm
talking about seems to appear when I make a large change in direction
and the line is straight, looks like a chord of the circle, and one end
initially points towards the nose of the glider from across the circle.

I tried to get a screen shot but, using the simulate mode on my laptop,
I can't make it happen.

Old June 15th 16, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

No, that doesn't look anything like it other than the blue line.

Picture your green circle while thermalling and a straight blue line
suddenly appears as a chord of the circle, pointing at the nose of the
aircraft symbol, and perpendicular to the instantaneous flight path.
Make another correction and you might have a second blue line at a
different angle displayed across the circle.

Still, I'll check my config settings and disable the wave assistant.
I've found a simple way to do that using the flight path vector
displayed when the drift angle exceeds a certain angle.

Thanks, anyway...

Old June 15th 16, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman

Hi Dan,

Have you posted your question to the XCSoar forum? I have found it useful to look there for tips when the manual doesn't help. I would be interested to hear the resolution of your query.

Regards Ben
Old June 16th 16, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That seems like the next step. But first, I'm configuring a Streak with
XCSoar for a friend.

Old June 16th 16, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alex[_6_]

It's the wave assistant. Turn it off when not flying wave, since it starts drawing useless and sometime annoying blue lines through your thermal. When flying wave it acts as a marker, mapping the lateral extent of the best climb rate - which should in theory be the wave bar perpendicular to the wind..
Old June 16th 16, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Sounds like the right answer. I'll check my configuration when I get
out to the airport. I'll turn it back on come wave season.

On 6/16/2016 12:47 AM, Alex wrote:
It's the wave assistant. Turn it off when not flying wave, since it starts drawing useless and sometime annoying blue lines through your thermal. When flying wave it acts as a marker, mapping the lateral extent of the best climb rate - which should in theory be the wave bar perpendicular to the wind.

--
Dan, 5J

XCSoar and V7 [email protected] Soaring 8 January 17th 14 10:19 PM
CAI-302 and XCSoar Dan Marotta Soaring 7 March 29th 12 09:55 PM
XCsoar 6.2.6 Question Karl Kunz Soaring 8 March 16th 12 05:12 PM
xcsoar [email protected] Soaring 40 August 13th 09 09:01 PM
XCSoar Robert Danewid Soaring 2 February 7th 04 02:30 PM