I give up, after many, many years!

Old May 11th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Somerset

Default I give up, after many, many years!

I give up -- not flying -- but subscribing to this NG. It is just too
riddled with crap and backbiting, to the point that it carries little
if any useful exchange of interest to active pilots. It isn't worth
the effort any more, even with multiple kill files.

So good riddance to 90+% of the posts, and the few idiots who have
managed to spoil the NG over the past couple of years, and farewell to
those few remaining sensible contributors. I admire your patience and
tolerance. Mine have given out!
--
Jay (remove dashes for legal email address)
Old May 11th 08, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
Jay Somerset wrote:

I give up -- not flying -- but subscribing to this NG. It is just too
riddled with crap and backbiting, to the point that it carries little
if any useful exchange of interest to active pilots. It isn't worth
the effort any more, even with multiple kill files.

So good riddance to 90+% of the posts, and the few idiots who have
managed to spoil the NG over the past couple of years, and farewell to
those few remaining sensible contributors. I admire your patience and
tolerance. Mine have given out!

Sorry to see you go.

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old May 11th 08, 07:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Lou

On May 11, 11:50 am, Bob Noel
wrote:
In article ,
Jay Somerset wrote:

farewell to
those few remaining sensible contributors. I admire your patience and
tolerance. Mine have given out!

Sorry to see you go Jay, It's not our patience that keeps us here,
it's the lack of life and the cost of fuel.
Lou
Old May 11th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Jay Somerset wrote:
I give up -- not flying -- but subscribing to this NG. It is just too
riddled with crap and backbiting, to the point that it carries little
if any useful exchange of interest to active pilots. It isn't worth
the effort any more, even with multiple kill files.

So good riddance to 90+% of the posts, and the few idiots who have
managed to spoil the NG over the past couple of years, and farewell to
those few remaining sensible contributors. I admire your patience and
tolerance. Mine have given out!

I agree with your sentiments. I haven't posted often and am, in the big
picture, a relatively "new" pilot (licensed in 2003). I have been
appreciative over the years -- the group has offered some
thought-provoking topics that resulted in RL discussions, exchange of
opinions/experiences, and ultimately some very useful knowledge.

It had been easy to spot and ignore the "crap and backbiting". On my
newsreader, I see the number of posts first, and I always think,
"great...lots of new, interesting material" ... until the actual *list*
of topics comes up, and of late it's easy to see that 95% are a couple
of people exchanging insults ad nauseam. A few who actually have some
useful info won't quit unless they have the last word, so there are 50
exchanges of one-line name-calling insults. After the first one, what's
the point?

So now the useful stuff to people who are still interested in coming
here to learn something or to share something is BURIED. I agree with
you about feeling that it's not worth the effort sometimes.
Old May 11th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Shirl wrote in news:Xmnushal8y-
:

Jay Somerset wrote:
[...]

It's a zen thing.

Kinda like the story where the master whacks the student's finger off?

I reckon that Maxie banging his head endlessly against the wall will
eventually enlighten him to something, if not the ultimate truth.

And if not, he's just plain funny.

So now the useful stuff to people who are still interested in coming
here to learn something or to share something is BURIED. I agree with
you about feeling that it's not worth the effort sometimes.

Well, i;m not posting much of interest these days anyway, unless you
enjoy Maxie fjukking hissef over as much as I do., so just killfile me
for th etime being and most everything else should fall into place.

I don't think you'd miss too much killfiling Maxie either. Even when
he's on topic he's pretty useless IMO

Bertie

Old May 11th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blakesy

On Sun, 11 May 2008 11:21:57 -0700, Shirl wrote in
:

of late it's easy to see that 95% are a couple
of people exchanging insults ad nauseam.

What makes you think they are not the same person?
Old May 11th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Shirl

Shirl wrote:
of late it's easy to see that 95% are a couple
of people exchanging insults ad nauseam.

Blakesy:
What makes you think they are not the same person?

LOL ... I just can't imagine having the kind of time (or energy!) to be
the insulter AND the insultee in some of these exchanges that go on
*forever* with nothing but one-line insults. But ... you're right, takes
all kinds, and that's a possibility.
;-)
Old May 11th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck[_2_]

I give up -- not flying -- but subscribing to this NG.

Sorry to see you go, Jay. I've enjoyed your posts, and hope you can make it
to OSH this year.

I still find some utility in this group, but no longer recommend it to new
or aspiring pilots. I find myself spending more and more time on moderated
groups that don't tolerate anonymous trolls.

Check back from time to time. This, too, shall pass.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 11th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andrew Sarangan

On May 11, 6:18 pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
I give up -- not flying -- but subscribing to this NG.

Sorry to see you go, Jay. I've enjoyed your posts, and hope you can make it
to OSH this year.

I still find some utility in this group, but no longer recommend it to new
or aspiring pilots. I find myself spending more and more time on moderated
groups that don't tolerate anonymous trolls.

Check back from time to time. This, too, shall pass.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Aviation Destination"

Same here. I don't take seriously any posters who use handles instead
of their real names.

Old May 12th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y[_2_]

On Sun, 11 May 2008 15:53:27 -0700 (PDT), Andrew Sarangan
wrote:

Same here. I don't take seriously any posters who use handles instead
of their real names.

Or a handle that sounds like a real name?

Like "Barry Sarangan" or "Barry Dighera"? ;^)

Maybe with a free, throwaway email address that matches?

Think about it... Anybody can have a "real" name online. Once upon a
time, I used my whole real name.

I still post with my real first name, and there are plenty of folks
here who have met me in person. Some are from my home base, tied down
a few spots away. I'll gladly provide my real name in private
conversation where circumstances warrant, and when meeting other
"real" folks.

However, there are now enough nut jobs out there where it's often not
a good idea to use a real name, tail number, etc... on the open 'net.
I'm in the phone book, etc... as I LIKE being accessible to lost
friends, etc... But it isn't worth dealing with a nut case over a
USENET debate.

I base my treatment of posters on posting history as it lodges in my
memory.

** http://www.bburke.com/woodworking.html **

DC-3 parts to give away Robert Little Restoration 2 November 23rd 06 04:30 AM
Who can give a checkout? Mark S Conway General Aviation 2 May 9th 05 12:15 AM
Winch give-away KP Soaring 6 January 11th 05 09:04 PM
Did you ever give up on an IR? No Such User Piloting 24 November 26th 03 03:45 PM
FS 2004 give away Ozzie M Simulators 0 November 23rd 03 04:50 PM