OLC Scoring for 2011

Old October 14th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default OLC Scoring for 2011

After Tucson Soaring Club's first decent cross-country flights of the
2011 OLC season, we noted a change to the scoring. This introduces
the category "OLC Plus" that combines the OLC Classic with 0.3 of the
FAI triangle score. The intent is to encourage cross-country triangle
flights rather than up-and-down ridge running. OLC now apparently no
longer preserves the Classic and FAI cumulative scores, but they are
displayed on individual flight pages.

This change will be beneficial to us out west, who do mostly thermal
flying, but will discount the score of the eastern ridge runners.

Mike
Old October 15th 10, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Oct 14, 10:45*am, Mike the Strike wrote:
After Tucson Soaring Club's first decent cross-country flights of the
2011 OLC season, we noted a change to the scoring. *This introduces
the category "OLC Plus" that combines the OLC Classic with 0.3 of the
FAI triangle score. *The intent is to encourage cross-country triangle
flights rather than up-and-down ridge running. *OLC now apparently no
longer preserves the Classic and FAI cumulative scores, but they are
displayed on individual flight pages.

This change will be beneficial to us out west, who do mostly thermal
flying, but will discount the score of the eastern ridge runners.

Mike

It is getting worse than that. They also added draconian rules such as
that to get speed point you must release less than 15km from the
airport, thus eliminitating half of the clubs in California who often
need to tow further than 15km to get to the lift.
Also the flight details no longer showing the distance flown, only
points.
Sigh!!

Ramy
Old October 15th 10, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Oct 15, 10:36*am, Ramy wrote:
[...]

They also completely eliminated the FAI-OLC scoring for FAI triangles.
Instead they added a new "BHC Challenge" but this one requires pre
declaring the turnpoints.

Ramy
Old October 15th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

On Oct 15, 12:36*pm, Ramy wrote:
[...]

I just pulled up a flight today and it shows the distance flown for
both the "Classic" scoring and "FAI" scoring.

Personally I think a cool feature that could be added to the OLC would
be to allow member comments on flights. Many times I've wished I
could post an attaboy or ask questions about a particular interesting
flight that I came across.
Old October 15th 10, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Oct 15, 12:39*pm, Tony wrote:
On Oct 15, 12:36*pm, Ramy wrote:

[...]

flight that I came across.- Hide quoted text -

There is no longer a running total for FAI score as it used to be.
However I think there is some sense in combining the scores. And at
least the distance will be optimized correctly without taking into a
account the penalty for the last 2 legs.
Everything is explained he
http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0...ssz1010#101015
It also explains the 15km limit for speed points. Apparently, pure
gliders never take more than 15km tows in Germany, so it made
perfectly sense to them to limit the start to 15km to be more "fair",
yet at the same time completely eliminating scores for many clubs in
Western US. What can I say...
Another good/bad news, depend on your point of view, is replacing the
Tuesday deadline with a sliding 48 hours window.

Ramy

Old October 16th 10, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LOV2AV8

Another good/bad news, depend on your point of view, is replacing the
Tuesday deadline with a sliding 48 hours window.

Ramy- Hide quoted text -

I just found out about the 48 hour rule for posting after landing.
Tried to claim the Wed flight on Friday. I think an appropriate "Rule
have changed this year" notice on the log in page would have been
helpful. I'm not sure if the 48 hour rule is better than the Tuesday
deadline. Will definitely have to find a WiFi when away from the home
field on Soarfari's.

Randy
Old October 16th 10, 03:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

I guess we will have to make a daily drive into Moore, ID when flying out of the King Mountain Glider Park. (http://www.kingmountaingliderpark.com) That should be easier next summer. I have been informed that the new bridge is finished and the road to the glider park will be paved prior to next years "soarfari."

Old October 16th 10, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Oct 16, 6:58*am, LOV2AV8 wrote:
Another good/bad news, depend on your point of view, is replacing the
Tuesday deadline with a sliding 48 hours window.

Ramy- Hide quoted text -

I just found out about the 48 hour rule for posting after landing.
Tried to claim the Wed flight on Friday. *I think an appropriate "Rule
have changed this year" notice on the log in page would have been
helpful. *I'm not sure if the 48 hour rule is better than the Tuesday
deadline. *Will definitely have to find a WiFi when away from the home
field on Soarfari's.

Randy

Those who missed the deadline can email OLC and ask them to accept it.
I am pretty sure they will and after receiving many requests on a
daily basis they may realize that a better notification is due.
Speaking of notification, I would have expected the SSA-OLC committe
to say something.

Ramy

Old October 17th 10, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

when i go to the main OLC page there is an entry titled "OLC 2011:
Foresight into future! " that describes all the rule changes for the
new year.
Old October 17th 10, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy

On Oct 16, 5:26*pm, Tony wrote:
when i go to the main OLC page there is an entry titled "OLC 2011:
Foresight into future! " that describes all the rule changes for the
new year.

And obviously it is not sufficient. And those who bookmark the US page
instead of the main OLC page to save 2 or 3 mouse clicks never see
this.

Regarding the other issue with the minimum tow release distance
requires for speed point, there is a simple solution. Just use the
previous version of SeeYou and you will always get scored from
takeoff. Apparently OLC still accepts arronous submissions!
They add draconian rules yet not bother fixing other issues.

Ramy

2011 USA competition schedule ? Dave Nadler Soaring 22 October 19th 10 08:07 PM
2011 US Sports Nationals Tim[_2_] Soaring 4 September 15th 10 08:13 PM
2011 15M Nationals Andy[_10_] Soaring 10 August 19th 10 05:23 PM
2011 USA 18M Nationals 5 ugly Soaring 3 August 18th 10 04:52 AM