Good lubricant for assembly

Old May 30th 18, 07:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

Default Good lubricant for assembly

On Wednesday, 30 May 2018 00:39:59 UTC+3, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 1:03:41 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Agreed.
Vaseline is better than dry or old lube.
Cheap and easy to get.
Easy to use.

If assembling for a season, maybe something better.
Keep in mind, very limited movement so lube quality is less of an issue..
Yes, some may say the "wings will fall off" if you use the wrong lube. In this case, not likely.

I can't agree with the "anything" specification. The main pins do not move, but the lift and drag pins clearly do work in flight, with considerable pressure on them. Any glider a few years old will show signs of wear, galling, or Brinelling on those pins. From this is seems to me that something with some extreme pressure ingredients is desirable.

I bet the wear is mostly due 1) sand and dust getting into lubricant, 2) rigging with force instead of correct technique. Light-coloured lubricant is better in this respect, it turns into black when dirty, telling you that interval between lubrication is too long.
Old May 30th 18, 08:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Senna Van den Bosch

Op woensdag 30 mei 2018 01:56:52 UTC+2 schreef Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot):
Oh, I don't disagree, trust me with my mechanical background.
Dry is among the worst case, crappy lube is better than nothing.

While we strive to be in the "perfect world", Vaseline is way better than nothing.

Not everyone wants to spend "x" dollars on lube, just like some peeps try to do a season with one set of wing tapes to the fuselage.

I am not here to judge, just saying Vaseline is way better than nothing.

I have been chastised when pulling wing tape and balling it up.
I just "wasted" a seasons worth of tape....shame on me......
Thus I use Scotch type 33 white electrical tape. Not a killer on price and easy to get.

I just ordered a small pot of ball bearing grease which Dan Daly suggested to try out, as I used up all my vaseline. I just need them for the main pins to assemble the wings on my DG 101.

I might take a look at Amazon next, when I've tried this one.
Old May 30th 18, 01:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I would like to add that the synthetic lithium products also do not get HARD in cold weather like vasaline.
Old May 30th 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 10:03:52 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Hi Jon, might I ask what you use for pin lube?

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 2:39:59 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 1:03:41 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Agreed.
Vaseline is better than dry or old lube.
Cheap and easy to get.
Easy to use.

If assembling for a season, maybe something better.
Keep in mind, very limited movement so lube quality is less of an issue.
Yes, some may say the "wings will fall off" if you use the wrong lube.. In this case, not likely.

I can't agree with the "anything" specification. The main pins do not move, but the lift and drag pins clearly do work in flight, with considerable pressure on them. Any glider a few years old will show signs of wear, galling, or Brinelling on those pins. From this is seems to me that something with some extreme pressure ingredients is desirable.

I use Lubriplate "Special Marine Grease":

https://www.lubriplate.com/Online-St...-14oz-Can.html

https://www.lubriplate.com/PDFs/PDS/...to-Marine.aspx

It is lithium based EP grease that does not contain MolyD, which Schleicher specifically recommends against. (That is probably due to a fear of MolyD and brass corrosion, which is theoretically possible but grease vendors will tell you is not a problem with a properly formulated grease.) It it near white colored and comes in a small 16 oz tub.

Something with MolyD would be ideal, in that it has very good EP anti wear and galling properties, but in this case I stuck with the Schleicher recommendation. I'm not claiming this grease is better than some other choices. But it is temperature stable, light colored, has EP additives, and will not wash off.
Old May 30th 18, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 11:58:04 PM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
[...]

My glider pins are cleaned with degreaser and relubed with fresh grease on EVERY assembly, and it is never left assembled for more than a few days. When I rig it, the procedure I follow aligns everything such that little or no force is used to install wings or pins. I NEVER use the "force it together" rigging aids that seem popular, if it does not easily slide together I correct the misalignment before proceeding. The grease I use is near white in color, but is never used for a second assembly - it is cleaned off and replaced with fresh. Nevertheless, there is wear (that looks like galling) on the lift and drag pins.

I have yet to see a glider with more that 500 hours or so that does not exhibit some wear on these pins.

That may suggest that it doesn't matter what you do to them, but I do try anyway.
Old May 30th 18, 06:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Hey Craig,

For what it's worth... Superlube with PTFE (the one in the tube many of us use) is NLGI rated GC-LB. Per the NLGI folks: "Grease packaging may display the code GC-LB, meaning that it meets the most demanding test standards for both chassis and wheel bearings. Grease products displaying this highest rating meet OEM requirements." Among other comments, it says "Wide temperature grease for use in components such as bearings, chassis and universal joints in passenger cars, trucks, and other vehicles under mild and severe duty.This includes vehicles operated under frequent stop-and-go service (buses, taxis, urban police cars, etc.), or under severe braking service (trailer towing, heavy loading, mountain driving, etc.) (see ASTM D4950)."

Just curious what the specs of the other grease you are using meets. Not doubting you, just looking for data.

P3
Old May 30th 18, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

When I sold my LAK-17a, the buyer, an inspection authorized A&P
mechanic, noted that there was no 1,000 hour inspection noted in the
logbook.Â* So we got out my digital caliper and I measured each component
and read the results to him.Â* He recorded the numbers and compared them
to the Maintenance Manual.Â* Everything was within new factory
specifications.

I believe I had used lithium grease the whole time I owned the ship.

--
Dan, 5J
Old May 30th 18, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 11:50:40 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

Micrometer measurement on pins that have galled may actually show growth as the metal is upset. Visual inspection will still show wear/galling/Brinelling. It would take an extreme case of this to cause a structural issue, so perhaps it is something that can be routinely ignored. Still, it's one of those things that doesn't look or feel good.

I notice in looking up the specs that Superlube has a "High Temperature Extreme Pressure" version with significantly better wear index figures. That might be the one to buy if you like Superlube.
Old May 30th 18, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 10:32:54 AM UTC-7, Papa3 wrote:
[...]

HI Eric,

I just switched to Lucas "Red 'n' Tacky". It has the same NLGI GC-LB rating.. I hadn't seen anything in the Superlube literature that talked about extreme pressure suitability. It's entirely possible I missed that.

https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/red-n-tacky-grease

Craig
7Q
Old May 30th 18, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Funston[_3_]

On Wednesday, May 30, 2018 at 3:04:53 PM UTC-7, Craig Funston wrote:
[...]

Eric,

30 seconds of googling produced a spec sheet for an extreme pressure version of Superlube. http://www.super-lube.com/tech-data-...re-ezp-92.html

Craig