Unmanned Gliders Seek Lift

Old August 18th 08, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default Unmanned Gliders Seek Lift

better yet.............why doesn't the govt hire us sailplane pilots
to keep our eyes out for the bad guys..................whomever they
may be at the moment.

I've called in fires and other strange things I've seen in the
backwood before..............heck, maybe they'll even pay for my tow!

of course, if the "bad guys" catch on to possibly getting busted by an
orbiting sailplane, I guess we could face getting shot
at....................somthing I've wondered about occasionally when
I've heard gunshots while flying..........must've been to high to hear
the banjos playing tho...................

Brad

On Aug 18, 12:09*pm, Nyal Williams wrote:
Put the whole kit and kaboodle in the glider, send it around the course
while you stay in the club's bar, and then go out and catch the wingtip
when it lands. *Pretend you flew it and turn the flight in to the online
soaring contest -- that is unless an FAA representative is there and
notices the alcohol on your breath, but you can explain the situation to
him and turn the flight in later.

At 18:16 18 August 2008, Eric Greenwell wrote:

bumper wrote:
"kirk.stant" *wrote in message

BTW, I bet if you had a transponder, the UAV would be programmed to
avoid you like the plague!

Oh boy, a whole new game! Hunt down the soaring UAV and "bump" it out

of
the
thermal (g).

Good idea: get a PCAS unit like the Zaon MRX and use it to find UAVs,
grab it's thermal while it leaves to find the next one! In fact, a UAV
could be considered a remote thermal sensing instrument.

How about carrying small one folded up in the glider? When the soaring
gets tough, you launch it to help you find thermals. It could carry a
Spot so you could find it later it was unable to return home on it's
own. The glider could be carried in a tube under the wing or on top of
the fuselage, or inside the fuselage with doors like a motor glider.

Or ... Forget the transponder: just have Spot send text messages to your
cell phone, so you know where the UAV is. FLARM is another way the UAVs
could be avoided, and eventually they will all use ADS-B.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

* Updated! "Transponders in Sailplanes"http://tinyurl.com/y739x4
* ** New Jan '08 - sections on Mode S, TPAS, ADS-B, Flarm, more

* "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" atwww.motorglider.org- Hide quoted text -

Old August 18th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Gardner

On Aug 18, 4:41*pm, sisu1a wrote:
Boy, I don't like the sound of this. Bas enough we have to share open
sky with powered UAV's in ever increasing numbers, now the possibility
of sharing thermals too? Yikes. Mars is sounding better every day!

It would indeed yield the highly coveted 'thermal sniffer' (probably
the very instrument Johnson described in Kemp's video), but to me
would not at all be worth the price... (soaring with UAV's)

Violently Opposed,
-Paul

Once all UK gliders are equipped with Mode-S transponders,
the UAVs will be able to use gliders to act as thermal sniffers,
and will then come and join us in the thermal

Old August 18th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rory Oconor

At 18:44 18 August 2008, Lars Peder Hansen wrote:

Instead, rely on million of years of systems testing, bring an eagle

along

(would look awful when you open the doors to the Raptor Compartment!)

Should be quite simple to swap out a turbo and use the bay as a raptor
compartment. I can see that training a bird to return might require a lot
of work. Those fishing reels might have to be used for bait lines rather
than bug wipers.

Rory