Thanks, America!

Old July 4th 05, 06:43 PM

Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the
Declaration of Independence?

You really should check snopes.com before you post. This is only
partially true. Many errors in it.

I was up this morning for 2 hours over Manhattan . . . a spectacular
crystal clear day and a glorious flight. Hard NOT to be grateful for
the freedom of flight . . . Happy 4th to the NG readership!

Old July 4th 05, 07:33 PM
Jay Honeck

Hard work, stubborn faith, *and* a large yearly government handout to prop
up the airport that feeds your business snip

Ah, Gary, I can always count on you to pee on a parade... You couldn't be
more wrong.

At best, fly-in pilots represent 5% of our sales. The best thing that could
POSSIBLY happen to my business would be for the airport to be bulldozed, and
that land developed into homes and businesses. I would probably see an
immediate 300% to 400% increase in business, and the value of the hotel
would absolutely skyrocket.

And we would get out of the business as fast as possible, since the *only*
reason we do this is to hang out with the likes of you all day long!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 4th 05, 07:39 PM
Jay Honeck

Have a happy fourth Mr. Honeck, I am confused as to why, after railing
against pilots who have become lost and inadvertantly stumbled into the
ADIZ, even declaring them "my enemy" you would choose to portray Mr.
Noonan
and Mrs. Earhart, obvious victims of navigational error.

Hey -- that *is* pretty funny, now that you mention it!

But, of course, the real reason is that Amelia Earhart is still the single
most recognizable woman pilot, and in a Fourth of July parade we need a
symbol that people will understand and associate with our aviation themed
hotel.

And I, as the mere driver of the convertible (Mary gets the place of honor,
seated on the retracted top, waving to the crowd and whacking me on the head
when I accelerate too fast!), had to dress up like SOMEONE. Since I sure
don't look like Charles Lindbergh -- even after losing 25 pounds -- Fred
Noonan was the only logical choice...

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 4th 05, 07:43 PM
Jay Honeck

One advantage of the 130s is that you have more time to admire them! Happy
4th!

Yeah, crap, we didn't get any planes at all this year. We had heavy storms
roll through right before the parade started, and a steady rain with low
scud throughout...

:-(

But, the temps were warm, and kids (and parents) showed up by the thousands,
so the show went on! We gave away thousands of pieces of candy and $75,000
in discount coupons -- and we got thoroughly soaked!

:-)

It's gonna take a week for the Mustang's interior to dry out...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old July 4th 05, 07:48 PM
Matt Barrow

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
And W.

While W has issues, Teddy is on a different planet in another dimension.

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
The reason God gave politicians two more brain cells than a horse is so

that
they wouldn't poop on the streets in a parade. I hope you don't have

any
horses or retarded politicians in front of you either.

{;-)

Well that finally explains Teddy Kennedy!!

Old July 4th 05, 07:59 PM
Matt Barrow

wrote in message
oups.com...
Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the
Declaration of Independence?

You really should check snopes.com before you post.

WOW!! How profound!

This is only
partially true.

Not THAT much different, but you're right...sorta.

Many errors in it.

And such points as "Vandalizing and sacking are common during warfare"
really doesn't make a contradictory point, does it? Pointing out spelling
errors makes them seem lame.

Snopes makes it "living" on contradicting points. An example was the 19th
century 8th grade test in Kansas they said was bogus. When the original was
found, they refused to recant. OTOH, it was figured to be a test for the
TEACHERS, but why would a teacher need such knowledge unless to pass it to
their students. Still, though, they maintain it was FALSE.

Old July 4th 05, 08:18 PM
Gary Drescher

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
At best, fly-in pilots represent 5% of our sales. The best thing that
could POSSIBLY happen to my business would be for the airport to be
bulldozed, and that land developed into homes and businesses. I would
probably see an immediate 300% to 400% increase in business, and the value
of the hotel would absolutely skyrocket.

Interesting. I was relying largely on your statement, back when you first
contemplated buying the hotel, that "Surprisingly, not very many visitors
are pilots, according to my friend. I chalk this up to a simple lack of
advertising/marketing to the pilot crowd--which Mary and I would rectify
quickly". But if your expectations didn't pan out, then I stand corrected.

One thing still puzzles me, though. An argument you've made in favor of the
airport's government subsidy is that the airport is good for local business.
But if even an *aviation-themed hotel* has its business *diminished by a
factor of three or four* by having the airport next door, then I have
trouble understanding how the airport's net economic effect could actually
be positive. (I'm not saying it couldn't be so--just that it's hard to
understand offhand.)

--Gary

Old July 4th 05, 08:52 PM
RST Engineering

In the same vein, a story about the Revolutionary war ...

General Washington took a squad of 24 soldiers and went out hunting the
British. After a week in the field, Corporal Peters was picked off by a
redcoat sharpshooter. The squad went on for another week and ran out of
food, water, and were thoroughly exhausted when they came upon this lovely
mansion along the side of the road with a red light out in front.

General Washington knocked on the door and explained to the madam that they
were American soldiers that were hungry, thirsty, tired, and in need of
comfort. The madam smiled and asked General Washington how many soldiers
there were. He said, "Madam, there are 23 soldiers with me without Peters".

The madam said, "You've got to be $#!tt!ng me!!!!!"

{;-)

Jim

Old July 4th 05, 10:00 PM

You really should check snopes.com before you post.

WOW!! How profound!

*******************************
Sophomoric response.

Nothing "profound" in what I wrote, and not intended to be. Just
trying to point out that the stuff you get by chain emails isn't always
to be swallowed as factual and then passed along as if it is.

Old July 4th 05, 10:17 PM
Matt Barrow

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
In the same vein, a story about the Revolutionary war ...

General Washington took a squad of 24 soldiers and went out hunting the
British. After a week in the field, Corporal Peters was picked off by a
redcoat sharpshooter. The squad went on for another week and ran out of
food, water, and were thoroughly exhausted when they came upon this lovely
mansion along the side of the road with a red light out in front.

General Washington knocked on the door and explained to the madam that

they
were American soldiers that were hungry, thirsty, tired, and in need of
comfort. The madam smiled and asked General Washington how many soldiers
there were. He said, "Madam, there are 23 soldiers with me without

Peters".

The madam said, "You've got to be $#!tt!ng me!!!!!"

I hope you didn't stay up too late working up that one. :~