Angel Flight

Old January 12th 06, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Angel Flight

I'm a pilot for Angel Flight Central. I believe (when I joined) you needed
200 PIC. No IFR required. I looked at LifeLine pilots, also. I don't think
they required an IFR rating, but they wanted 250 PIC. I was right at the 200
mark, so I joined AFC.

I think it is kinda weird that the different regions have different
requirements.

"Marty Shapiro" wrote in message
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
oups.com:

We do have VFR pilots fly. During the winter we usually try to get IFR
backups. However, I think the minimum hours is 250 to be a Command
PIlot. The rules for us out West may be different though.

Angel Flight West does not require an IFR rating.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)

Old January 13th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message
Peter,
With which two in the Northeast are you a volunteer? I just hit 300 hours
so
I am seriously thinking about volunteering. However, is the 25 hour of
actual (as in not simulated) a real requirement? on the Angel Flight
Northeast website they mention 25 hour in "type" but I see no mention of
IMC
experience.

When I joined AFNE a few years ago, their Pilot Manual did assert a
requirement of 25 hours of IMC. I had nowhere near that, and told them so.
They said the requirement was a typo, and that the real requirement is just
for 25 hours of (any kind of) instrument time. So I've been flying Angel
Flight missions ever since (and I still have only 20 hours of IMC).

--Gary

Old January 13th 06, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
We do have VFR pilots fly. During the winter we usually try to get IFR
backups. However, I think the minimum hours is 250 to be a Command
PIlot. The rules for us out West may be different though.

Do you have to own your own plane for this?
Old January 13th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Gary Drescher wrote:
snip

When I joined AFNE a few years ago, their Pilot Manual did assert a
requirement of 25 hours of IMC. I had nowhere near that, and told them so.
They said the requirement was a typo, and that the real requirement is just
for 25 hours of (any kind of) instrument time. So I've been flying Angel
Flight missions ever since (and I still have only 20 hours of IMC).

--Gary

25 hours seems like it would be hard to get. I have 22, and I was
actively seeking it out. There wasn't much IMC where I lived that
didn't include thunderstorms or ice.

Here, we don't get any kind of IMC, so it looks like I'll be stuck at 22
for a very long time.
Old January 13th 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Steven Barnes" wrote

I think it is kinda weird that the different regions have different
requirements.

Not really, IMHO. Different weather, different terrain.

It is all about acceptable risk, and the ability to complete the mission a
high percentage of the time.

Some places, without IFR, you will be on the ground 3/4th's of the days;
others, you will be in the air 3/4th's of the days (or more) with VFR.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 13th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Marco Leon mmleonyahoo.com wrote:

With which two in the Northeast are you a volunteer? I just hit 300 hours so
I am seriously thinking about volunteering. However, is the 25 hour of
actual (as in not simulated) a real requirement? on the Angel Flight
Northeast website they mention 25 hour in "type" but I see no mention of IMC
experience.

Hey, Marco - Angel Flight Northeast and Angel Flight East, although
admittedly I have been flying only AFNE missions over the last year and a
half due to the convenience of the routes. Angel Flight NE's routes cover
mostly from Pennsylvania northeastward, whereas most of AFE's routes start
at PA and go south from there. Not too convenient for a pilot based in
upstate NY.

Certainly don't go by my word on the requirements, especially since it was
a few years ago when I joined and either my memory of them or some change
since then could account for the difference you noted.

Instead, call them and inquire directly, as you will then get the
requirements from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I do seem to remember
the 25 hours instrument time, though. The next time I talk to them I will
also ask about this.

--
Peter
Old January 13th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Rachel wrote:

25 hours seems like it would be hard to get. I have 22, and I was
actively seeking it out. There wasn't much IMC where I lived that
didn't include thunderstorms or ice.

Here, we don't get any kind of IMC, so it looks like I'll be stuck at 22
for a very long time.

I think this is region dependant. Downwind of the Great Lakes in the US,
fall and spring offer many benign, non-icing IFR days (1,500 ft ceiling
with tops around 5,000 ft, 3 miles visibility), at least in central NY
state.

--
Peter
Old January 13th 06, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Peter,
Thanks for the clarification. I only have about 8 hours actual but over 83
hours simulated--close to 1/3 of my total time. I'll send in my application
to Angel Flight NE because it sounds like the routes would be more
convenient for me being based on Long Island.

What is the mission density? In other words, are there multiple missions
available every week or does one (that fits your profile) pop up every month
or so?

Thanks again,

Marco Leon

http://www.usenet.com
Old January 13th 06, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Marco Leon mmleonyahoo.com wrote:

What is the mission density? In other words, are there multiple missions
available every week or does one (that fits your profile) pop up every month
or so?

AFNE tends to have approximately three to five a day, so there are many
routes from which to choose. If you are based in Long Island you will see
quite a few originating or terminating at WestHampton Beach, as there is a
respected Lyme Disease treatment facility there. Teterboro and Boston, as
well as Martha's Vineyard, are also popular airports.

Report back if you join.

--
Peter
Old January 13th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What is the mission density? In other words, are there multiple missions
available every week or does one (that fits your profile) pop up every
month
or so?

Lots. Every week I get an email with atleast 50 or so missions. But there
are thousands of pilots on the list so most of them get filled.

I wish I could do more, heck I'd retire and do nothing but if I could afford
it. I wish there was an organization that would pay for the fuel of Angel
Flights. I'd probably do one a week if that was the case. Right now I can
only afford to do about one a month.