Garmin 596 Ideas

Old August 4th 06, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

Default Garmin 596 Ideas

I can't believe no one has mentioned airways -- or did I just miss it.

And I can't believe Jay hasn't complained about the lack of airways on his
496.

Old August 4th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Burns[_1_]

The last time I used an airway was when there was a radar outage... guess
where? Just north east of Jay's!
Jim

Old August 4th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Jon Woellhaf" wrote:

I can't believe no one has mentioned airways -- or did I just miss it.
And I can't believe Jay hasn't complained about the lack of airways on his
496.

Jay doesn't fly instruments, so he has no use for airways.
Old August 4th 06, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al[_1_]

"john smith" wrote in message
In article ,
"Jim Burns" wrote:

It means that with GPS input, the little airplane flys over the approach
plate that is displayed on the unit and it's actually in the correct
location. My FlightPrep/ChartCase program will do it on a
notebook/laptop,
but it's windoze/hard drive based instead of solid state. Pretty cool
and
dead on accurate when it works.

Now I understand. I have flown approaches with an MX-20, but having the
approach plate overlayed would be a definite advantage.

It would be nice to have the vertical portion as well. Step down
altitudes and vertical Nav. Not available in the panel mount Garmins.

Al G

Old August 4th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al[_1_]

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
oups.com...
Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, john smith said:
Here are a few suggestions for the future Garmin GPS-596...
- flat panel package, one-inch thick (max, including battery)
- replaceable Li-ion battery pack; optional AA battery pack
- a five-inch diagonal screen (as on the 530)
- landscape or portrait viewing select
- XM weather and radio
- higher resolution
- faster processor
- ability to download text (NOTAM's, weather)

- geo-referenced approach plates

--

The Garmin 430/530 already displays your position with respect to the
approach course, so I am not sure if georeferencing an actual approach

This had something to do with lack of WAAS approval.

Al G

Old August 4th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maule Driver

The car is one thing - very nice. But this Mauledriver definitely
appreciates that small screen and overall footprint in the aircraft. I
really struggled to find a place to mount it where it didn't block
anything and yet fell in my natural scan (and didn't require a major
refocus of these aging eyeballs when going from panel mount to
portable). A tall order in the Maule. I finally used a RAM mount on
the LH horizontal ledge and it works great.

How do you guys use or envision using a larger footprint device? I just
don't get it.

PS - I really love this thing!

Jay Honeck wrote:

I now know why they use the dinky little screen on the 496 -- anything
bigger won't fit on the dashboard of most cars. Garmin is trying to
make the unit do double (or, with marine, triple) duty, to the
detriment of the aviation mode.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 5th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Check out the Garmin Streetpilot 7500.
7-inch diagonal display already in their product line with XM capability.
Old August 5th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

How do you guys use or envision using a larger footprint device? I just
don't get it.

RAM mount off to the side of the windscreen, hung from the top of the
windscreen, over the yolk, strapped to my knee...
There are many different ways and places to attach the device.
Old August 5th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon Woellhaf

"john smith" wrote in message
Jay doesn't fly instruments, so he has no use for airways.

Ah, yes. That explains it.

Old August 5th 06, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jonathan Goodish

In article
,
john smith wrote:

Check out the Garmin Streetpilot 7500.
7-inch diagonal display already in their product line with XM capability.

Which happens to have pretty lousy resolution, and is likely (yuck) a
touch screen.

JKG