"Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

Old November 8th 18, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

Default "Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

On Wednesday, November 7, 2018 at 7:48:03 PM UTC-7, Ed A wrote:
On Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 2:35:04 AM UTC-6, Linar Yusupov wrote:
Will this device work with iGlide on IOS?

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is active in the firmware's source code since October 9th.
Known to work good with SkyDemon, Air Nav Pro.
You could let us know if it works with iGlide too.

Hello Linar,

We experimented with our new Prime Mk II device last weekend. It was a non-flying day here in Colorado, so we ground tested it against a PowerFLARM in a parked Ventus. We successfully paired the device (using Wi-Fi) with XCSoar running on a Samsung Tab A tablet. Then, we tested it by walking up and down the taxiway and were pleased to see that our "glider" was clearly displayed on the Ventus FLARM display and the Ventus was displayed on our tablet. Mission accomplished, so far. Next step will be to set up an OGN receiver and do some flight testing.

It's quite amazing that a DIY product that goes together in five minutes and costs about $50 can provide this kind of capability. (One of our members made the enclosure on his 3D printer.) Thank you Linar!

Note: I was hoping to try it with iGlide on the iPhone X, but was not successful. I installed AirConnect on the iPhone but couldn't get them to link.. I've never used AirConnect before and may not be configuring it correctly.. Is there a secret to this? I would appreciate any helpful suggestions from anyone who has had success with iGlide. Mike, Mark ... any suggestions?

Thanks,
Ed A

Ed,

I will send Mark an email asking him to contact you, I do not think he usually monitors this site. I use Android/XCSoar, so can,t help you with IGlide..

Mike

Old November 8th 18, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 9:53:48 AM UTC-6, Linar Yusupov wrote:
When I saw Ed A's post an hour or so ago, I asked Mark who uses the app and he replied exactly as I have indicated.

Ok. Good news! Thank you!

Just contacted Mark and there was a mistaken communication about this. Sorry.

Mike
Old November 8th 18, 09:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Linar Yusupov

Ed, Mike, Mark

you guys should open a new ticket of a "question" type he https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/issues
and file it in accordance with the template provided. (you may use this ticket as an example: https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/issues/35 )
Then I will see if I can do anything for you.

Linar.
Old February 13th 19, 08:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Linar Yusupov

вторник, 30 октября 2018 г., 11:35:04 UTC+3 пользователь Linar Yusupov написал:
Will this device work with iGlide on IOS?

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is active in the firmware's source code since October 9th.
Known to work good with SkyDemon, Air Nav Pro.
You could let us know if it works with iGlide too.

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is a part of most recent firmware update.

Release notes:
https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/releases/tag/1.0-rc6

Old August 26th 19, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:52:12 PM UTC-8, Linar Yusupov wrote:
вторник, 30 октября 2018 г., 11:35:04 UTC+3 пользователь Linar Yusupov написал:
Will this device work with iGlide on IOS?

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is active in the firmware's source code since October 9th.
Known to work good with SkyDemon, Air Nav Pro.
You could let us know if it works with iGlide too.

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is a part of most recent firmware update.

Release notes:
https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/releases/tag/1.0-rc6

I'm on the fence to add Flarm or something like this thread is all about to my glider in the upcoming off season. Any news or comment how this system is working presently would be appreciated.
Old August 26th 19, 04:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

http://www.nadler.com/GliderPilotUSA...timonials.html
Old August 27th 19, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 8:48:03 AM UTC-6, 6PK wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:52:12 PM UTC-8, Linar Yusupov wrote:
вторник, 30 октября 2018 г., 11:35:04 UTC+3 пользователь Linar Yusupov написал:
Will this device work with iGlide on IOS?

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is active in the firmware's source code since October 9th.
Known to work good with SkyDemon, Air Nav Pro.
You could let us know if it works with iGlide too.

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is a part of most recent firmware update.

Release notes:
https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/releases/tag/1.0-rc6

I'm on the fence to add Flarm or something like this thread is all about to my glider in the upcoming off season. Any news or comment how this system is working presently would be appreciated.

If you have $1.5K+ to spend, buy a PowerFlarm.

Although....

Having used the Soft RF Flarm device for a year, I can say that it does work well as a sailplane proximity device. I have as good as or better range than a commercially available Power Flarm. I see them and they see me. Last summer our OGN tracking station could see my LAK over 40 miles away and this summer a pilot told me I was visible to his powerflarm at 18 miles distance. It works.

It only sees Flarm traffic so in that regard it is not as complete as a Power Flarm that also sees transponder traffic. For a very small amount of money it is a very good safety measure. There is now a separate wifi display with voice alerts available for about $35.00 that easily connects to the SoftRF Flarm device. So, if you purchase the boards yourself and have the enclosures 3d printed you can have a Power Flarm compatible device with a daylight readable display for less than $150.00 US.

Mike

Old August 27th 19, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 7:48:03 AM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
On Tuesday, February 12, 2019 at 11:52:12 PM UTC-8, Linar Yusupov wrote:
вторник, 30 октября 2018 г., 11:35:04 UTC+3 пользователь Linar Yusupov написал:
Will this device work with iGlide on IOS?

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is active in the firmware's source code since October 9th.
Known to work good with SkyDemon, Air Nav Pro.
You could let us know if it works with iGlide too.

AirConnect compatible Wi-Fi connection service is a part of most recent firmware update.

Release notes:
https://github.com/lyusupov/SoftRF/releases/tag/1.0-rc6

I'm on the fence to add Flarm or something like this thread is all about to my glider in the upcoming off season. Any news or comment how this system is working presently would be appreciated.

You only need to ask these people ONE question: have you received (or even applied for) FCC approval?

If they can't answer this question affirmatively, don't walk, run from them..

Tom
Old August 27th 19, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan Foster

On Monday, August 26, 2019 at 8:20:55 PM UTC-6, 2G wrote:
[...]

Tom, not trying to start an argument, but I am wondering why you have made this conclusion. I am under the assumption that Flarm uses unlicensed spectrum to transmit.
Old August 27th 19, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

I'm not an expert, but have some experience with various GPS trackers that use unlicensed spectrum. All the commercially available devices (including Flarm and PowerMouse) have had to receive FCC approval.

You can't do whatever you want in unlicensed spectrum. There are rules with regard to power output and how long you can transmit on a channel, which is one reason why many devices above a certain power output use frequency hopping. Without that the spectrum would be gummed upon and useless. I don't know what the rules are for homemade devices, but presumably if you run afoul of the FCC guidelines for frequency use and they can find you there will be a conversation.

Andy Blackburn
9B