RV4 3pt vs wheel landings

Old July 2nd 15, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default RV4 3pt vs wheel landings

On Saturday, June 8, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Dennis wrote:
Where can I get more informatin about "3 point" vs "wheel"
landings in the Vans RV4 ?
I have read the "Compleat Taildragger" and he says you must do "wheel"
landings for high crosswind, but then many articles in Plane&Pilot
say many taildraggers are fully controlable down to full stall 3 point
landings and wheel landings may never be needed.. my RV4 seems to be one
of those (so far ..) I sure would like more input as I only have about
50 hrs in taildraggers... all RV4 stories and opinions would be welcome.
Thanks.. DA in GA

I just got back from some tail wheel training with the most experienced RV instructor in the world and he is a big promoter of the 3 point landing with tailwheel RVs even in crosswinds
Old July 26th 15, 10:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb[_2_]

On Wed, 1 Jul 2015 18:58:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Saturday, June 8, 1996 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, Dennis wrote:
Where can I get more informatin about "3 point" vs "wheel"
landings in the Vans RV4 ?
I have read the "Compleat Taildragger" and he says you must do "wheel"
landings for high crosswind, but then many articles in Plane&Pilot
say many taildraggers are fully controlable down to full stall 3 point
landings and wheel landings may never be needed.. my RV4 seems to be one
of those (so far ..) I sure would like more input as I only have about
50 hrs in taildraggers... all RV4 stories and opinions would be welcome.
Thanks.. DA in GA

I just got back from some tail wheel training with the most experienced RV instructor in the world and he is a big promoter of the 3 point landing with tailwheel RVs even in crosswinds

Most experienced RV instructor in the world, eh?
Does he have a name?

It's been decades since I was an active flight instructor, but I have
many, many 1000's of hours taiwheel... and over 1000 hours in my RV3.

A lot of local RV pilots do nothing but wheel landings saying their
RV-x is safer to wheel land. THAT IS PURE BULL****.

When I quit flight instructing, the FAA was saying...
the slowest landing speed was the safest landing speed.
That means 3 point and FULL flaps... NORMALLY.
If conditions warrant, less than full flaps may be appropriate.

The ony reason NOT to land 3 point in crosswind is when there is
INSUFFICIENT rudder to do so. That might mean 20 mph direct crosswind
in an RV4. Been a while since I flew RV4's.

Barnyard Bob - 61years of licensed powered flight- less in sailplanes

Three Bad Landings in one day Gig 601XL Builder Piloting 4 September 6th 07 06:32 PM
Bad landings Jay Honeck Piloting 0 April 13th 07 08:26 PM
++NEW++3 DVD SET 'ON LANDINGS' +Much More Pilot Publications Aviation Marketplace 0 June 26th 04 03:42 PM
Night landings vs. day landings Gerald Sylvester Piloting 15 February 12th 04 07:38 AM
Wheel pants for 6.00 x 6 wheel/tire Wallace Berry Home Built 2 January 23rd 04 05:22 AM