Frequency of convictions for lying on FAA medical form

Old January 22nd 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Default Frequency of convictions for lying on FAA medical form

But if the pilot dies, he won't be prosecuted. That was the
point.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| Just ask the FAA, statistics must be reported.
|
| But like most FAA enforcement, investigations follow
| accidents. They don't have convictions or civil
penalties
| for dead pilots, although there may be torts for
innocent
| losses.
|
| Doesn't need to be a dead pilot, just a fatal accident
(someone

Old January 22nd 07, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Who cares. People break rules and laws if they want. On a
medical application you're required to report your medical
conditions and physician visits and treatment. The rules
further require that pilots self-police themselves when ill,
tired or just feel like crap.

Yet, there have been F14 Naval pilots crashing on landing on
the carrier. The investigation showed proscribe drugs. [OTC
decongestants]

The FAA has some stupid rules, some are medical and some
deal with pilot performed maintenance, among others. But
use common sense, safety is the goal, do what is safe and in
the spirit of the rules and you'll probably be OK with the
law.

"Allen" wrote in message
. net...

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| Consider what you're hiding? A prescription for a
banned
| FAA drug means you're being treated by a doctor and the
| condition requires treatment and the drug may have
| side-effects. You get to fly with the worry that you'll
be
| caught or die from the disease or drug. Maybe it is a
| sedative and your judgment will be effected further and
| you'll fly into freezing rain or a thunderstorm.
|
| Odds are the only people you'll kill will be family and
| friends of yours, so go ahead.
|

| "Sally Grozmano" wrote in message
| . ..
| | Grumman-581
wrote
| in
| |

news | |
| | On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:49:58 +0000, in
| | ,
Sally
| Grozmano wrote:
| | It seems to be "common knowledge" that many pilots
do
| lie, but I never
| | hear of actual convictions.
|
| Y'all see you are talking to someone with a Washington DC
IP address, right?

Old January 22nd 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Sally Grozmano

"Allen" wrote in
. net:

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Consider what you're hiding? A prescription for a banned
FAA drug means you're being treated by a doctor and the
condition requires treatment and the drug may have
side-effects. You get to fly with the worry that you'll be
caught or die from the disease or drug. Maybe it is a
sedative and your judgment will be effected further and
you'll fly into freezing rain or a thunderstorm.

Odds are the only people you'll kill will be family and
friends of yours, so go ahead.

Y'all see you are talking to someone with a Washington DC IP address,
right?

Allen

Implication being that I am some sort of government agent, I take it? I
know the FAA is inefficient, but paying someone to catch a pilot on Usenet
is a stretch even for them.

And to the previous poster, I acknowledge your safety concerns. There have
been enough flame wars regarding the justification of particular banned
prescriptions that I won't rehash them here.
Old January 22nd 07, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Sally Grozmano

"Jim Macklin" wrote in
:

The issue is will the commercial entity [insurance company,
HMO, or other] turn your records over to the FAA.

Yes, that is my main concern. As far as insurance goes, frankly, I hope to
God I never get into an accident, and if I do, I'm more worried about my
health and the health of others than the financial bit. Of course, losing
all I own is a close second.
Old January 22nd 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Since you brought up anti-depressants...

Am I the only one here who finds it ironic that you can't get a medical if
you have your depression treated and control it with medication, but

someone
running around with an untreated problem can?

Ironic is the word.

Actually, a lot of this thread would be funny--but it is too depressing.

Peter

Old January 22nd 07, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Sally Grozmano

Ron Natalie wrote in news:45b5151e$0$28100
:

Jim Macklin wrote:
Just ask the FAA, statistics must be reported.

But like most FAA enforcement, investigations follow
accidents. They don't have convictions or civil penalties
for dead pilots, although there may be torts for innocent
losses.

Doesn't need to be a dead pilot, just a fatal accident (someone
other than the pilot may have died)...

Just to reiterate what I said before, if I am involved in an accident where
someone dies, the last thing on my mind is going to be financial penalties.
That would haunt me for the rest of my life (whether I was at fault or
not). My main concern is getting my ticket, and slapped with a huge fine
from the FAA finding out about my ommisions through other channels
(insurance, DEA, etc).
Old January 22nd 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Allen[_1_]

[...]

What type of plane do you fly?

Allen

p.s. I do see hat same IP address was registered by Road Runner in Texas at
one time.

Old January 22nd 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Ask Rush Limbaugh about medical privacy.

If there is an accident and the FAA begins an investigation
and that investigation raises a medical condition, then the
FAA would probably seek your medical records. Unless you
have signed a release, the private companies should not
divulge your records beyond strict limits. But you may have
signed some release or you may find that your insurance
company will be sharing financial amounts with other
insurance companies, but not "private" medical info. But
what the FAA can determine, combined with a forensic lab
test is just a guess.

"Sally Grozmano" wrote in message
. ..
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in

Old January 22nd 07, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Stewart

Bill Denton wrote:
Since you brought up anti-depressants...

Am I the only one here who finds it ironic that you can't get a medical if
you have your depression treated and control it with medication, but someone
running around with an untreated problem can?

Exactly. I'd prefer to fly with a pilot who
is taking Prozac than one who should be taking
it and isn't.
Old January 22nd 07, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Hello, fire department? Hey, we have a little smoke here.
If you get some time later today, could you, perhaps stop by
and see what is going here?

.. .