First-hand video of a BRS deployment.

Old February 9th 07, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default First-hand video of a BRS deployment.

I got the following link to this video via the Matronics Zenith e-mail
list. What's interesting and fascinating about it is that it contains video
from a cockpit camera that shows the impending mid-air collision and the
cockpit view when the aircraft hits the ground under the chute:

http://www.turbopilot.com/copa/image3/brs.wmv

I guess cockpit cameras are becoming common enough that this sort of video
would be inevitable.

(Not sure why the pilot didn't see the towing aircraft - unless it was
because the other plane was coming up from below to his right.)

Old February 10th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jim Logajan

Jim Logajan wrote:
wrote:
Amazing video...

I just noticed that the pilot appears to have been following another
aircraft (white winged). At least that is the way it looks because the
white area moves relative to the ground at times.

Further followup with a bite more info:

Here's what appears to be the full cockpit video from collision to
touchdown:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_JAg1ZedGo

According to the comments, he was flying a Rans S6. Also, the CNN video was
also posted to YouTube, and based on the dates of those postings this
appears to have been reported back in December (around Christmas) of last
year.
Old February 10th 07, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bart D. Hull

Why pull the parachute?

It appears the prop cleared the tow rope and he didn't lose any control
surfaces, in fact it looked like he was gliding in control for awhile
before he pulled the 'chute. He even sounded like he shut down the
engine, that the engine didn't quit and it didn't sound too rough like
it was misbalanced.

I always wondered if the availability of such a device made for more
accidents or less. It sure sounded like a rather solid landing!

He did walk away though.

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Old February 10th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
Amazing video...

I just noticed that the pilot appears to have been following another
aircraft (white winged). At least that is the way it looks because the
white area moves relative to the ground at times.

Yes, he was attempting to film a buddy.

From rec.aviation.soaring:

Newsgroups: rec.aviation.soaring
Subject: Video of midair with tow rope
Date: 2 Jan 2007 10:57:13 -0800

Following is a translation of the French text posted regarding this
incident:

"The team (tow plane & glider) had just taken off and was in its
initial climb at speed between 110 & 130 kmh (68 - 81 mph), a normal
climb speed with a Duo-discuss on tow. A witness on the ground
confirmed that the ultralight and the towplane flew pretty much at the
same speed with converging tracks. The towplane did come from the
right but did not cross his path. As can be seen on the film, the
pilot of the ultralight, busy with filming the other
ultralightabsolutely did not react to avoid the accident. No avoidance
maneuver is seen on the film. This was confirmed to me by the witness
on the ground. The ultralight did not move to avoid the tow plane.
The tow plane, a DR400, turned knife-edge to the right (one sees the
belly of the plane on the film) in order not to take the full brunt of
the ultralight. I am a tow pilot and can assure you that one very
seldom banks over 30 degrees with a glider on tow. Furthermore the tow
pilot released the rope even before he felt the contact with the
ultralight. The accident would have been much worse if he had not done
so. The glider pilot also maneuvered to avoid the out-of-control
ultralight. His altitude allowed him to return to his field with part
of the cable below his port wing and trailing behind the glider.

Luckily the use of the ballistic parachute on the ultralight proved its
undeniable advantage as can be seen on the other video of the spin
tests of the MCR 01.

Other comments:

I confirm that the two ultralight pilots are Germans. The pilot was
not on the correct frequency, he merely followed his pal and filmed
him. When one knows the volume of traffic at Tallard (between 80,000
and 90,000 flights per year), that's frightening. Either that guy had
not studied navigation or his neurons were not all connected."

Cheers, Charles

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old February 10th 07, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Jim Logajan" wrote in message
.. .
I got the following link to this video via the Matronics Zenith e-mail
list. What's interesting and fascinating about it is that it contains
video
from a cockpit camera that shows the impending mid-air collision and the
cockpit view when the aircraft hits the ground under the chute:

http://www.turbopilot.com/copa/image3/brs.wmv

I guess cockpit cameras are becoming common enough that this sort of video
would be inevitable.

(Not sure why the pilot didn't see the towing aircraft - unless it was
because the other plane was coming up from below to his right.)

Looks like the glider might have been released as there is "something" in
the lower left of the windscreen, still pretty incredible video.

------------------------------------
DW

Old February 10th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Jim Logajan writes:

I got the following link to this video via the Matronics Zenith e-mail
list. What's interesting and fascinating about it is that it contains video
from a cockpit camera that shows the impending mid-air collision and the
cockpit view when the aircraft hits the ground under the chute:

http://www.turbopilot.com/copa/image3/brs.wmv

I guess cockpit cameras are becoming common enough that this sort of video
would be inevitable.

I'm surprised that the pilot believes he is alive today because of the
parachute. The aircraft doesn't look severely damaged; the control surfaces
are in place. What would have prevented him from gliding to a landing?

While I have no problem with pilots saving themselves with a parachute if they
wish to do so, it seems like this one at least gave up pretty quickly. And
how did he manage not to see the other aicraft? The weather certainly looked
clear.

Old February 10th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Casey Wilson

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

..

I'm surprised that the pilot believes he is alive today because of the
parachute. The aircraft doesn't look severely damaged; the control
surfaces
are in place. What would have prevented him from gliding to a landing?

While I have no problem with pilots saving themselves with a parachute if
they
wish to do so, it seems like this one at least gave up pretty quickly.
And
how did he manage not to see the other aicraft? The weather certainly
looked
clear.

NOTICE!!!!
Mxsmanic is NOT a pilot, has NEVER flown an aircraft and is NOT qualified to
issue competent information regarding any aspect of the operation of any
aircraft.

Old February 10th 07, 08:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
chris[_1_]

On Feb 10, 2:29 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
Jim Logajan writes:
[...]

Aircraft can be incredibly hard to see, believe it or not.....