Pazmany PL4

Old February 24th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
(Keith Sowter)

Default Pazmany PL4

Why were there not many Pazmany PL4's built ?

Here's one I saw Fly back in 1982 at Red Deer Alberta

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1019962/

Old February 24th 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 09:17:45 -0800 (PST), "(Keith Sowter)"
wrote:

Why were there not many Pazmany PL4's built ?

Here's one I saw Fly back in 1982 at Red Deer Alberta

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1019962/

IIRC, they were more difficult to build than other homebuilts of that era. In
addition, single-seaters generally are generally not as popular.

Ron Wanttaja
Old February 24th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Big John[_2_]

wrote:

Why were there not many Pazmany PL4's built ?

Here's one I saw Fly back in 1982 at Red Deer Alberta

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1019962/

Keith

errata

A USAF Advisor to the Tiawan Air Force suggested they build a Pazmany
as a primary trainer for the Tiawan Air Force.

They built over 50 of them and assisted the Air Force Advisor in
building one for him on their production line using their tooling
which he shipped back to States.

Big John

Old February 25th 08, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

wrote:

Why were there not many Pazmany PL4's built ?

Here's one I saw Fly back in 1982 at Red Deer Alberta

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1019962/

Keith

errata

A USAF Advisor to the Tiawan Air Force suggested they build a Pazmany
as a primary trainer for the Tiawan Air Force.

They built over 50 of them and assisted the Air Force Advisor in
building one for him on their production line using their tooling
which he shipped back to States.

Big John

Were those PL2s? I have seen one PL2 in operation, and it would have been a
good plane for the job.

IIRC, before VanGrunsven revolutionized amateur metal airplane building, the
popular wisdom was that anyone who built a metal airplane really built 2--1
in wood and then 1 in metal. While not litterally true, the process of
building formers had to be remarkably tedious; so production tooling would
have been a really dramatic improvement and 50 airplanes were probably much
less than 10 times as much work as 1.

Peter

Old February 25th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bob Kuykendall

On Feb 24, 2:47*pm, Big John wrote:
...A USAF Advisor to the Tiawan Air Force suggested they build
a Pazmany as a primary trainer for the Tiawan Air Force.

They built over 50 of them...

Note that those were actually PL1s, not PL4s. Actually, they were a
modification of the PL1, with a widened fuselage. They're generally
referred to as PL1B. A few of them have turned up in private hands.

Thanks, Bob K.
Old February 25th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
William Hung[_2_]

wrote:
Why were there not many Pazmany PL4's built ?

Here's one I saw Fly back in 1982 at Red Deer Alberta

http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1019962/

Keith

errata

A USAF Advisor to the Tiawan Air Force suggested they build a Pazmany
as a primary trainer for the Tiawan Air Force.

They built over 50 of them and assisted the Air Force Advisor in
building one for him on their production line using their tooling
which he shipped back to States.

Big John

Interesting that many countries are choosing to build and use
kitplanes for their primery trainers. I think I read elsewhere that
the Iraqi Air Force is using several different types of kitplanes,
AeroComp, Inc.s Comp Air 7SL being one of them, although not as a
trainer. http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123019902

Wil

Wil
Old February 25th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Big John

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:47:23 -0500, "Peter Dohm"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

**********************************

Peter

Knew the ones they built were two place (had to be as a primary
trainer ) just didn't remember the model number given to them. Think
EAA had an article many years ago in Sport Avn about that bird he
built and brought back to US.

Google shows them as PL-1B's. Data also shows that some of them flew
10,000 hours as trainers so pretty tough birds.

No idea who owns that bird now. Seem to recall that the AF Pilot who
brought back died at a fairly early age (not in an aircraft accident)
as I remember.

Big John
Old February 25th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Big John" wrote in message
On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 18:47:23 -0500, "Peter Dohm"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

John,

Just after I posted, I saw Bob K's post and did a Google search as well--and
of course I found the same thing. I am still not sure what the differences
are between the PL1B and the PL2. I suppose that it is even possible that
the PL1B served as partial motivation for the PL2--especially as there have
been a few other O-320 powered PL1's built.

BTW, to the best of my personal recollection, I was unaware of the PL1 until
this evening.

Peter

Old February 25th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
JohnO

wrote:
[...]

Wil- Hide quoted text -

The Nigerian Airforce has RV6's.
Old February 25th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Rich S.[_1_]

"JohnO" wrote . . .

The Nigerian Airforce has RV6's.

France had some Emeraudes, but they were the certified European production
model.

Does that mean that RV6's, Emeraudes, and any other of the ilk are qualified
to park on the Warbird line? That'd be kinda neat! Those big iron drivers
always seem to get good parking and "crew members" with great looking
tushes. )

Rich S.

Pazmany PL4 (Keith Sowter) Piloting 3 February 25th 08 05:19 AM
FREE - Homebuilt project - Pazmany PL1 Eugene Wendland Home Built 1 June 22nd 07 04:06 PM
Pazmany pL2 plans frank connaly Home Built 10 November 16th 06 12:36 PM
Pazmany PL2 strut leak moni nut Home Built 1 April 27th 04 02:24 AM
Any Pazmany PL-1/PL-2 owners out there... Gene Z. Ragan Home Built 3 March 6th 04 05:39 AM