Dittel FSG60M radio issue...

Old June 19th 17, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

Default Dittel FSG60M radio issue...

I have an interesting radio problem hopefully one of you have solved... My transmitted audio signal is clipping. It 'breaks up' intermittently during the transmit cycle. After many hours of checking everything, I found an interesting correlation. When the radio squelch circuit is turned off (via front switch), it transmits just fine - perfect clarity. When the squelch circuit is turned on (switch all the way up), it is intermittent. I adjusted the squelch pot several times with no change in the results. I don't understand how the squelch circuit is affecting the transmit side of the radio. Anyone come across this? Have a solution?
Old June 20th 17, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is the power source to test it a regulated power supply or battery? Monitor the voltage at receive, receive with squelch open and during transmit. In our Dittel portable field/mobile unit with a charger and internal nicads, it behaved similarly until both the regulator chip and nicads were replaced. Nothing to do with the squelch setting except that tiny change in milli amps draw. Assume you already looked at the tx signal "clipping" on comm monitor. Good luck. Hope its something simple.
Old June 20th 17, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

I'm using batteries. two 7AH in parallel. There should be no issues w.r.t.. battery. I also turned off all other components and it still behaved the same. I have not tried measuring the current draw. I'll try that to see the difference. but then, what would be the solution assuming the batteries are good?
Old June 20th 17, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 8:36:17 AM UTC-7, ZP wrote:
I'm using batteries. two 7AH in parallel. There should be no issues w.r..t. battery. I also turned off all other components and it still behaved the same. I have not tried measuring the current draw. I'll try that to see the difference. but then, what would be the solution assuming the batteries are good?

ZP, the squelch correlation is as you say interesting.
You could spend time and money on 35-year-old electronics or pick up a replacement FSG60M for 50 Euros plus shipping. Even a newer 25kHz radio like Dittel FSG71M or Becker AR3201 will not be much more than that, but you'd need to build a panel adapter and change the multipin connector.
http://www.segelflug.de/osclass/inde...&sCategory=110
Jim
Old June 22nd 17, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

thanks!
Old June 29th 17, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ZP

http://www.segelflug.de/osclass/inde...&sCategory=110
Jim

Jim, I'd like to buy the FSG-60M, but can't figure out to do that. I live in the US.
Old June 29th 17, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 4:01:43 PM UTC-7, ZP wrote:
http://www.segelflug.de/osclass/inde...&sCategory=110
Jim

Jim, I'd like to buy the FSG-60M, but can't figure out to do that. I live in the US.

PM sent.
Jim