sailplane, cheap and easy

Old October 28th 07, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sleepy

Default sailplane, cheap and easy

What would be the need for a medium performance sailplane that can be built
for under $1500 and in less than 200 hours? No carbon fiber, no fiberglass.
Not a hang glider nor foot launched. Please don't laugh. This is entirely
practical in my shop. What I'm asking is, is there a need and a market for
this. I do not plan to manufacture this plane but I would sell plans.
Thanks

Old October 28th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike[_8_]

Medium performance these days is a sailplane with 35-1 L/D at 50
knots.

For $1500.00 and 200 hours of build time?

I would buy one - if there was a safe and thoroughly tested proof of
concept - BUT it will never happen.

Mike

Old October 28th 07, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Sleepy" u38628@uwe wrote in message news:7a592e3ce1702@uwe...
What would be the need for a medium performance sailplane that can be
built
for under $1500 and in less than 200 hours? No carbon fiber, no
fiberglass.
Not a hang glider nor foot launched. Please don't laugh. This is
entirely
practical in my shop. What I'm asking is, is there a need and a market
for
this. I do not plan to manufacture this plane but I would sell plans.
Thanks

What do you consider "medium performance?" 30 to 1 at 50 mph? What
materials are you going to use in the sailplane's construction? I have a
lot more question. I would have emailed you directly if you had provided an
email address. Do you have a name?

You must be trawling.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

Old October 28th 07, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sleepy via AviationKB.com

Hi Wayne, Yes 28 -30 at 45 -50. My email is: sleepy AT ovaltrackdigest dot
com (disguised as the forum recommends). Presently I live in Florida but I
will be going to Texas as soon as my house/shop sells. Maybe a month or two.
I'll be more than happy to email or tel with you. There is a lot to explain
about the Firebelle. It is unconventional in some ways. That is what makes
it practical for the price and time to build. I would like to hear from you.
Oh, my anytime tel is 863-899-0656. Thanks Sleepy

Wayne Paul wrote:
What would be the need for a medium performance sailplane that can be
built

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

Old October 29th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 27, 10:11 pm, "Sleepy" u38628@uwe wrote:
What would be the need for a medium performance sailplane that can be built
for under $1500 and in less than 200 hours? No carbon fiber, no fiberglass.
Not a hang glider nor foot launched. Please don't laugh. This is entirely
practical in my shop. What I'm asking is, is there a need and a market for
this. I do not plan to manufacture this plane but I would sell plans.
Thanks

You have my attention. I think the market is limited. But, you make
it a 2 seater and you really have something very badly needed by US
soaring clubs.

Have you seen
http://www.hartaero.com/turkeybuzzard.html

Not "really" available yet and not really the performance needed but
it is affordable.

Anything that is going to appeal to glider drivers is going to have to
have proven design, engineering, stress analysis, and flight testing
behind it. Difficult to do it all and still be affordable.

Someone will eventually do it why not you?

Lets hear more.

Matt Michael

Old October 29th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Oct 28, 12:11 am, "Sleepy" u38628@uwe wrote:
What would be the need for a medium performance sailplane that can be built
for under $1500 and in less than 200 hours? No carbon fiber, no fiberglass.
Not a hang glider nor foot launched. Please don't laugh. This is entirely
practical in my shop. What I'm asking is, is there a need and a market for
this. I do not plan to manufacture this plane but I would sell plans.
Thanks

Stan Hall did this 40 years ago. It's called the Cherokee 2. You would
be hard pressed to better
with less. Simple wood structure with no fancy materials(douglas fir
instead of sitka spruce) ,no
welding, etc. Designed for a high school kid with more time than
money- paraphasing his words.
Satn also commented that you can make it quick, or cheap- but not
both.
In any case, a study of what Stan did is a textbook example of how to
go
about making a cheap, simple glider.
Tony C.- want to ring in on this?
UH

Old October 29th 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sleepy via AviationKB.com

Hi Tony, Yes about Stan Hall. I've studied his writings. The Cherokee is
great for its purpose. The purpose of my Firebelle is much the same, getting
people flying. The difference is in the cost (Stan's cost numbers are 40
years old) and the time to build. Complexity of structure is what I am
eliminating. I never mean for this plane to be the best sailplane for
everyone. With the younger among us having many constraints on their time,
simple to build has to be important. What I want is a feel for the need for
the plane I have briefly described. I'll be glad to offer plans once the
structure has been completely load tested and the plane flown by an
experienced pilot. I haver no intention of selling kits or complete planes.
Refer to Wayne's post for email and tel. Thanks for the input, SLEEPY

Old October 30th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

How much would you have to increase complexity, cost, build time, to
make a Firebelle 2 seater? Please consider it.

MM

Old October 30th 07, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sleepy via AviationKB.com

It would be another project. The wings and tail feathers would be the same
but there would be quite a bit to re working the fuselage. Practical, yes.
Time to do....... SLEEPY

Easy Eagle Fonz Home Built 0 January 24th 07 03:05 AM
Easy Way nick Piloting 12 May 25th 06 05:02 PM
LS-4? What about 1-26 or making a cheap sailplane? Jim Culp Soaring 7 November 15th 04 09:07 AM
easy jet franck jeamourra Owning 1 March 1st 04 05:07 PM
Is there an easy way to buy an aircraft? Jim Owning 18 January 7th 04 05:05 PM