Birth Certificate/ Passport

Old August 15th 06, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Slick

Default Birth Certificate/ Passport

I've tried my best to find out if this is a club policy or a FAR thing. Is
it a reg that an instructor must see the student pilot's birth certificate
or passport in order to give instruction? If someone comes here from
overseas, am I allowed to instruct them?

Old August 15th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

It is neither FAR or Club thing.. it is the TSA.

It is a requirement for powered flight. THE TSA REQUIRES CFIs to VERIFY
NATIONALITY.

It is NOT REQUIRED for GLIDER TRAINING. The exemption letter is posted on
the SSA Web page.

BT

"Slick" wrote in message
I've tried my best to find out if this is a club policy or a FAR thing. Is
it a reg that an instructor must see the student pilot's birth certificate
or passport in order to give instruction? If someone comes here from
overseas, am I allowed to instruct them?

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old August 15th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

BTIZ wrote:
It is neither FAR or Club thing.. it is the TSA.

It is a requirement for powered flight. THE TSA REQUIRES CFIs to VERIFY
NATIONALITY.

It is NOT REQUIRED for GLIDER TRAINING. The exemption letter is posted on
the SSA Web page.

Correct - see http://www.ssa.org/test/docs/gliderexemption.pdf

For "alien" airplane and helicopter students, the TSA must first
"determine that the alien does not pose a threat to aviation or national
security" - in other words, a background check.

But, I'm slightly puzzled. All instructors that I know received a letter
from the FAA/TSA about a month ago explaining these requirements. If
Slick is a US flight instructor, why didn't he get that letter?

Tony V CFIG
Old August 15th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

But, I'm slightly puzzled. All instructors that I know received a letter
from the FAA/TSA about a month ago explaining these requirements. If Slick
is a US flight instructor, why didn't he get that letter?

Tony V CFIG

Maybe he did? but IIRC the letter did not specify the exemption for Glider
students..
so he took the training and is trying to follow the rules?
I do not believe the training specifies the exemption.

BT CFIG

Old August 15th 06, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

BTIZ wrote:

But, I'm slightly puzzled. All instructors that I know received a letter
from the FAA/TSA about a month ago explaining these requirements. If Slick
is a US flight instructor, why didn't he get that letter?

Tony V CFIG

Maybe he did? but IIRC the letter did not specify the exemption for Glider
students..
so he took the training and is trying to follow the rules?
I do not believe the training specifies the exemption.

BT CFIG

I received nothing from the Feds on the subject.

Chip F.

Old August 15th 06, 06:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

feeling left out?

I got the letter about 1 month ago.. reminder from TSA about required
security training for CFIs..
I may have trashed it because I knew it did not apply to GLIDER ONLY CFIs..
But it may be hiding on my desk..

There has been some discussion about "that letter" in various aviation
newsgroups.

BT

"chipsoars" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 15th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Slick

BTW, slick is on the verge of being a U.S. flight instructor, I'm not done
yet. Just need to take the check ride.
"Tony Verhulst" wrote in message
. ..

Old August 16th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTIZ

Good Deal Slick... we soon will be welcoming you into the fold.. as it were.
Where do you fly?

It would be good to have a copy of the TSA exemption letter with your
"Library", and at least an understanding of TSA CFI training requirements.
http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/recurr...ool_module.pdf

The Glider exemption letter is at
http://www.ssa.org/download/gliderexemption.pdf

BT

Old August 16th 06, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony Verhulst

Slick wrote:
BTW, slick is on the verge of being a U.S. flight instructor, I'm not done
yet. Just need to take the check ride.

Mystery solved :-). Good luck on the check ride.

Tony