Heat treating wing ribs

Old February 1st 04, 08:02 PM
Holger Stephan

Default Heat treating wing ribs

Here is a question I am asking for a friend. He bought these 2024-T0 wing
ribs and wants to have them heat treated. He is in near L.A., CA and
couldn't find a shop that would do anything thinner than .04".

Does any of you know how to heat treat formed ribs and possibly know a shop
in the L.A. area? My friend is especially concerned about getting them
straight again after they came out of the oven.

Thanks a bunch!

Holger
Old February 1st 04, 09:25 PM
Bela P. Havasreti

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 12:02:02 -0800, Holger Stephan
wrote:

Can't help you on heat treat shops in LA, but the one I go to
here (in the Seattle area) has no problem doing material down
to .025.

Also, for no additional charge, they'll pack my parts in a box
of dry ice to keep them in W condition (I think that's what it's
called) so they won't harden up right away. That way you
can bring them home and you get about 96 hours to straighten
them before they fully harden up.

Good luck in finding a heat treat shop down there that will work
(there has to be scads of them in the LA area I would think.....).

Bela P. Havasreti

Old February 1st 04, 09:52 PM
Holger Stephan

Bela P. Havasreti wrote:
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 12:02:02 -0800, Holger Stephan
Can't help you on heat treat shops in LA, but the one I go to
here (in the Seattle area) has no problem doing material down
to .025.
Bela P. Havasreti

Thanks, Bela (are you Hungarian?)! That's pretty good information. Seattle
may work too. I am in Portland and if he can't find anything down there he
could send them to me. What is the name of that shop?

- Holger
Old February 2nd 04, 03:11 AM
Franklin Newton

"Holger Stephan" wrote in message
Here is a question I am asking for a friend. He bought these 2024-T0 wing
ribs and wants to have them heat treated. He is in near L.A., CA and
couldn't find a shop that would do anything thinner than .04".

Does any of you know how to heat treat formed ribs and possibly know a

shop
in the L.A. area? My friend is especially concerned about getting them
straight again after they came out of the oven.

Thanks a bunch!

Holger

There are several vendors located in the LA area that are Boeing qualified
for aluminum heat treating, Astro, Alumax, Newton being some I recall and
yes, you would want them shipped back in coindition "W"( in dry ice) so you
can restrike them to straighten, then allow them to go to room temp and T4
condition. Note: you have to restrike them almost immediatly after removal
from the 0 degrees temp.

Old February 2nd 04, 03:57 AM
Bela P. Havasreti

On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:52:00 -0800, Holger Stephan
wrote:

Bela P. Havasreti wrote:
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 12:02:02 -0800, Holger Stephan
Can't help you on heat treat shops in LA, but the one I go to
here (in the Seattle area) has no problem doing material down
to .025.
Bela P. Havasreti

Thanks, Bela (are you Hungarian?)! That's pretty good information. Seattle
may work too. I am in Portland and if he can't find anything down there he
could send them to me. What is the name of that shop?

- Holger

Yes. Both Mom 'n Pop are '56-ers.

The Seattle area heat treat place I go to is called AlMet. They
are in Kent, and they are also a MilSpec qualified heat treat
facility (the local Boeing plants offload many parts to Almet).
All I have is a phone number for them:

253-852-1690.

Bela P. Havasreti

Old February 2nd 04, 05:15 AM
Holger Stephan

Bela P. Havasreti wrote:
On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 13:52:00 -0800, Holger Stephan
Yes. Both Mom 'n Pop are '56-ers.

The Seattle area heat treat place I go to is called AlMet. They
are in Kent, and they are also a MilSpec qualified heat treat
facility (the local Boeing plants offload many parts to Almet).
All I have is a phone number for them:

253-852-1690.

Bela P. Havasreti

Thanks to Bela and Franklin! Nice how RAH works.

Beautiful country your parents come from, Bela. My father was born and
partly grew up in Pecs. There are still some churches with frescos by my
grandfather; I hope to see them one day.

- Holger

Old February 2nd 04, 07:38 AM
guynoir

Stack Metallurgical Services, located on Swan Island.

--
John Kimmel

I think it will be quiet around here now. So long.

Old February 2nd 04, 11:18 PM
All Thumbs

I'm Holgers'friend with the ribs. I actually live south of L.A. in
Orange County,CA. The company I called, Bodycote, says they can
straighten the ribs after treating if I can provide a form. I would
really prefer to have it done by them. Is that advisable? I can't
picture myself working under the gun to straighten 24 ribs when I've
never done it before, and there's a limited time before the ribs
harden.

Craig
Old February 3rd 04, 01:19 AM
Richard Lamb

All Thumbs wrote:

I'm Holgers'friend with the ribs. I actually live south of L.A. in
Orange County,CA. The company I called, Bodycote, says they can
straighten the ribs after treating if I can provide a form. I would
really prefer to have it done by them. Is that advisable? I can't
picture myself working under the gun to straighten 24 ribs when I've
never done it before, and there's a limited time before the ribs
harden.

Craig

I must have missed the memo...

What airplane are you building that calls for heat treated ribs????

Richard
Old February 3rd 04, 02:52 PM
All Thumbs

Richard Lamb wrote in message I must have missed the memo...

What airplane are you building that calls for heat treated ribs????

Richard

I am re-building a BD-4 with metal wings. I purchased the ribs from
a vendor. They are .032 2024 T0 aluminum. The vendor told me up
front that his attempts to heat treat these ribs had resulted in
cracking, although we did not discuss what method he used. Since then
I've been told that aside from being structurally unsound, "0"
condition aluminum will be difficult to rivet due to it's softness.
I'm hoping that some heat treater in So Cal will have the experience
to treat these without destroying them.

Craig

Drywall Gussets Veeduber Home Built 5 October 27th 03 09:03 PM
Wide Body Folding Wing T-18 Parts for Sale Don B Home Built 0 October 6th 03 07:21 AM
Props and Wing Warping... was soaring vs. flaping Wright1902Glider Home Built 0 September 29th 03 03:40 PM
Can someone explain wing loading? Frederick Wilson Home Built 4 September 10th 03 02:33 AM
Wing Extensions Jay Home Built 22 July 27th 03 12:23 PM