Prop Strike Query

Old November 12th 04, 07:31 PM
Dick

Default Prop Strike Query

Nosegear failed during taxi and had a wooden prop strike on pavement. prop
is toast but wondering about the old C-85. consensus is leaning towards
everything okay if no vibration and tracks true upon startup of new,
balanced prop.

comments appreciated, Dick

Old November 12th 04, 07:46 PM
Ron Natalie

Dick wrote:
Nosegear failed during taxi and had a wooden prop strike on pavement. prop
is toast but wondering about the old C-85. consensus is leaning towards
everything okay if no vibration and tracks true upon startup of new,
balanced prop.

Continental will tell you that any prop strike requires an engine
tear-down. (Lycoming will give the same story). My insurance
company didn't even bat an eye when I submitted the bill for my
(wasn't even an engine stoppage, the tips just scuffed a tiny bit
as the airplane slid off the runway after the tire blew).

On a sudden stoppage, I would certainly heed this advice. I don't
know anybody fool enough to believe that there might not be internal
damage.
Old November 12th 04, 07:49 PM
Matt Whiting

Dick wrote:
Nosegear failed during taxi and had a wooden prop strike on pavement. prop
is toast but wondering about the old C-85. consensus is leaning towards
everything okay if no vibration and tracks true upon startup of new,
balanced prop.

comments appreciated, Dick

What does your A&P say? I think you are also likely OK with the wooden
prop making the strike as it is unlikely that you had the sudden
deceleration that a metal prop strike can cause. However, I'm not an
A&P so what I think doesn't mean diddly to the FAA. :-)

Matt

Old November 13th 04, 03:27 AM
Roger

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:31:04 GMT, "Dick" wrote:

Nosegear failed during taxi and had a wooden prop strike on pavement. prop
is toast but wondering about the old C-85. consensus is leaning towards
everything okay if no vibration and tracks true upon startup of new,
balanced prop.

Continental now says tear down on anthing more than something that
requires dressing the prop. I believe Lycombing is the same.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

comments appreciated, Dick

Old November 13th 04, 03:21 PM
Charlie England

Roger wrote:
On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:31:04 GMT, "Dick" wrote:

Nosegear failed during taxi and had a wooden prop strike on pavement. prop
is toast but wondering about the old C-85. consensus is leaning towards
everything okay if no vibration and tracks true upon startup of new,
balanced prop.

Continental now says tear down on anthing more than something that
requires dressing the prop. I believe Lycombing is the same.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

And there is a new AD on Lycs that says to remove the accsy case to
inspect a gear if the prop even hits *grass*.

Let your intellect and your trusted A&P be your guide when you decide
what's safety related, what's futile attempts at lawsuit avoidance and
what's revenue generation.

Charlie
Old November 13th 04, 03:25 PM
Nathan Young

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:31:04 GMT, "Dick" wrote:

Nosegear failed during taxi and had a wooden prop strike on pavement. prop
is toast but wondering about the old C-85. consensus is leaning towards
everything okay if no vibration and tracks true upon startup of new,
balanced prop.

Wood prop or not, teardown. Yes, the wood absorbed a lot of the
energy of the strike, but a good amount of energy was absorbed by the
internals of the engine. No way I would fly behind a prop strike
without a teardown, especially one severe enough to shatter the prop.

As a few others posted - if you have insurance, now would be a good
time to exercise it. Most insurance companies would rather pay for an
engine teardown & new prop now vs. a total + medical + liability in an
accident later on...

-Nathan

Old November 13th 04, 04:02 PM
Bill Daniels

"Dick" wrote in message
om...
Nosegear failed during taxi and had a wooden prop strike on pavement.

prop
is toast but wondering about the old C-85. consensus is leaning towards
everything okay if no vibration and tracks true upon startup of new,
balanced prop.

comments appreciated, Dick

I'll strongly support the consensus views here.

I had a prop strike on an Archer (Ex-wife screwed up a landing) The engine
didn't stop but about two inches of each prop tip were bent.

I hassled the insurance company into paying for a teardown in which I
participated. The mechanicals were OK but the shock had dislodged tiny bits
of sandcast flash that were in the oil galleys. It took a month of careful
cleaning to remove this stuff.

I was less than happy that Lycoming hadn't cleaned up the case casting but
thankful that the teardown found the problem.

Bill Daniels

Old November 14th 04, 01:56 AM
John_F

I believe that there is a new AD that any sudden engine stoppage
requires a engine tear down and inspection.

Old November 14th 04, 07:54 AM
D. Reid

Well..lets review the facts.
Prop strike during taxi. My bet is engine was throttled back to idle.

Wooden prop involved. Yes...wood absorbs a tremendous amount of stress. A
high rpm out of balance condition was most unlikely and sudden stoppage was
most unlikely as well. My guess is...the engine just "spooled down" under
resistance of the prop being "ground away" (sorry...but no pun intended).

So..Being as we are discussing this subject in "rec.aviation.homebuilt" I'm
going on the surmise that the subject A/C is a non-certified engine.

What would I do? I would NOT tear the engine down. For starters. Lyc and
Cont WANT you to do this...not merely for safety sake...BUT because they
want to sell you rebuild parts and componets. Think about. Here you have a
totally dissasembled engine laying on your shop bench and in ALL probablity
checks out just fine. ADMIT it...are you going to put the engine back
together with the same parts that came out of it? Not likely. (what is the
worse that can happen in THIS instance???...a bent prop flange!!!...and
thats about ALL !!! So...if its bent it could be cracked...ok, I'll buy
that. Only thing left to do...CHECK IT OUT !!!...but you dont have to tear
the engine down to do it !!!

Think you broke a crank???...not likely...bent a rod?...probably not.

Here's what you do.
Do a runout measurement of the crank/prop flange (on a C-85 I think .006 is
the max runout). If it's less than that...do a dye penetrant check on the
accessable areas around the flange...if it checks good...install a fresh
prop and go FLY !!!...I WOULD! If the dye check, shows a crack...well your
screwed.

A decent, honest shop should charge about 3 bills max to do this! Of course
YOU have to supply the prop. :-)

Dont assume the worse...but DO take steps to rule it out.

Hope this helps.

om...

Old November 14th 04, 04:13 PM
Ron Natalie

D. Reid wrote:
For starters. Lyc and
Cont WANT you to do this...not merely for safety sake...BUT because they
want to sell you rebuild parts and componets.

I doubt it...the amount of parts you gotta put into an engine (uneless
you're going after the cylinders or something) is TINY. I suspect the
major reason is they care concerned about liability. Most of the cost
in the tear down is LABOR.

Right prop, wrong prop? Wood prop, metal prop? Gus Rasch Aerobatics 1 February 14th 08 10:18 PM
Ivo Prop on O-320 Dave S Home Built 14 October 15th 04 03:04 AM
Prop Pitch Question Eugene Wendland Home Built 2 April 25th 04 03:22 AM
IVO props... comments.. Dave S Home Built 16 December 6th 03 11:43 PM
Metal Prop vs. Wood Prop Larry Smith Home Built 21 September 26th 03 07:45 PM