Owner Change/rotate spark plugs?

Old February 11th 05, 08:02 PM
George Patterson

Jon Woellhaf wrote:

At the last annual, my mechanic showed me how to anneal the copper spark
plug gaskets before reusing them.

Is this common practice?

New gaskets cost $.19 each, with a 20% discount on a box of 100. Typical charges
for an A&P's time in this neck of the woods are $50/hr and up. I certainly hope
it's not common practice anymore.

George Patterson
He who would distinguish what is true from what is false must have an
adequate understanding of truth and falsehood.
Old February 11th 05, 08:22 PM
John Kunkel

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
At the last annual, my mechanic showed me how to anneal the copper spark
plug gaskets before reusing them.

Is this common practice?

I don't know how common it is but it's done and it's not that time
consuming.

Mount a steel shaft horizontally in a vise and slide the gaskets to the vise
end. Below the open end of the shaft place a coffee can full of water. Slide
the gaskets out to near the open end of the shaft, heat them red, then slide
them off the end and they fall into the water.

Including setup time you can do 100 gaskets in about 10 minutes.

Old February 11th 05, 10:08 PM
Dave Stadt

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
At the last annual, my mechanic showed me how to anneal the copper spark
plug gaskets before reusing them.

Is this common practice?

I take them home and do it in my spare time. Get them red hot with a
propane torch and drop em in a coffee can of cold water.

Old February 12th 05, 12:56 AM

Jon A. wrote:

And you're posting this during a discussion of the question whether or

not an owner can change their own plugs.

Horse - - - Cart
Cart - - - Horse

So that means that means that wheher the gaskets are annealed or
reused without annealing is irrelevant? That the owner wouldn't benefit
by knowing about using new or annealed gaskets? Come on.

Dan

Old February 12th 05, 01:42 AM
RST Engineering

Oh, please, for the love of God, don't do this. This is how you HARDEN
them, not soften them for the annealing process. Heat them red hot with a
torch and let them cool in ambient air to soften them.

Jim

Old February 12th 05, 01:47 AM
Jürgen Exner

[Top=-posting corrected]
RST Engineering wrote:
the gaskets out to near the open end of the shaft, heat them red,
then slide them off the end and they fall into the water.

Oh, please, for the love of God, don't do this. This is how you
HARDEN them, not soften them for the annealing process. Heat them
red hot with a torch and let them cool in ambient air to soften them.

Well, I guess this depends upon if your gaskets are made of copper or of
iron/steal.
Although, I've never seen gaskets made of iron but of course nothing is
impossible.

jue

Old February 12th 05, 04:45 AM
John Clonts

wrote in message oups.com...
Jon A. wrote:

And you're posting this during a discussion of the question whether or

not an owner can change their own plugs.

Horse - - - Cart
Cart - - - Horse

So that means that means that wheher the gaskets are annealed or
reused without annealing is irrelevant? That the owner wouldn't benefit
by knowing about using new or annealed gaskets? Come on.

Dan

Well, I have learned from elsewhere in this thread that NEW gaskets are DEFINITELY the way to go since there is
debate as to whether the proper treatment of used gaskets is to include cold water quenching or ambient air
cooling...

Cheers!
John Clonts
Temple, Texas
N7NZ

Spark plug question: Massive electrode or fine wire? Peter R. Owning 9 February 4th 05 02:03 AM
Which aircraft certification is required for R&D? Netgeek Home Built 5 November 23rd 04 05:59 AM
Bougies blindées BG à vendre/BG spark plugs for sale stef General Aviation 0 May 14th 04 04:57 PM
Color of spark plugs john smith Owning 5 March 2nd 04 03:08 AM
2nd update on Review of Plasma II Ignition System MikeremlaP Home Built 8 July 22nd 03 01:37 AM