Carrying glasses?

Old September 7th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Default Carrying glasses?

Emily wrote:
Margy Natalie wrote:

Emily wrote:

BTIZ wrote:

You best put your glasses on and go do some night landing practice
with them.

Don't know anyone around here to sit in the other seat in case I
can't land again.

Hire an instructor. I used to have really bad vision (Lasik, ALL the
complications you read about, would do it again) and if I didn't have
some kind of correction I wouldn't have made the field. My AME, after
my exam, asked if I carried an extra pair of glasses (YES) suggested I
might want to carry 2 pairs. I think the idea of me in the air
without correction scared the willies out of him.

Margy

So you had complications and would still do it again? I only know one
person who had problems, and he can't even drive at night now. That
scared me of ever wanting it done.

My current vision is 20/20 (although I think the right eye might be
slipping to 20/25). With glasses I was always corrected to 20/15 so the
20/20 looked a bit blurry at first. I didn't get this result in the
right eye until after the second surgery. During the first surgery my
corneas doubled in size after they lifted the flap. My surgeon was
training another surgeon who got a bit upset when they were left with
way to much cornea to stuff back on the eye. They had to trim off the
excess and stuff it in as best they could. Then while healing it
flipped under (not real comfortable) so I had to go in and have them pry
that part up again and stick it down in a more appropriate fashion. I
have a bit of area outside the correction with astigmatism, but it's not
really too much of a bother. What I did notice is now I have to wait
for my night vision to kick in which I never did before. I really had
no idea why people worried about adapting to the dark etc. as I adapted
within 2 or 3 seconds. The surgeon waited a couple of years before the
second surgery as he wanted more research to be done before he opened my
eye up again, so I had 20/20 in one and 20/70 in the other for a while
(wearing glasses again), but I would have even been happy with that as I
no longer worried about breaking glasses, losing glasses, etc. as I
could find my way around. Before surgery if the cats knocked my glasses
off the night table I couldn't see to find them and had to crawl around
feeling for them.

Margy
Old September 7th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Emily wrote:
Margy Natalie wrote:

Emily wrote:

Jose wrote:

I learned that it's even harder for me to land while wearing glasses.

I land with glasses all the time. I'd find it hard to land without
them. It's probably worth practicing.

Jose

How strong are yours? Mine are strong enough that my vision is very
distorted with large lenses, so I have them cut pretty
small...problem then is that my peripheral vision is non-existent.
We're talking about -7.5 in both eyes....I even have trouble driving
in them.

My vision was bad (20/400) but my lenses were ground very flat and
that seemed to help with the distorsion problem. It made it awful
when the tried to grind lenses in the standard way.

How do they grind them flat? I've found the distortion is slightly
better with the featherweight type lenses, but still not good enough
that I'd be willing to drive in them.

God bless toric contact lenses.

It's how they set the curve on the front of the lens or something. I
know ONCE they cut them in the "normal" way and I couldn't see for
beans! I went back in with my old ones and they copied the style and
grumbled about opticians who get people hooked on the flat ones (must be
more work to cut). I always found the featherweights to have chromatic
distortion that drove me crazy. I'm a bit on the picky side :-).

Margy
Old September 7th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Arnold Sten

Emily wrote:
Grumman-581 wrote:
"Private" wrote in message
Style aside, I am a little surprised at your preference for small cut
glasses. IIRC you are an AME and I would have thought you would prefer
large glasses due to their increased coverage and greater
effectiveness as
safety glasses to protect your eyes from small flying objects in the
workshop.

The larger lenses also block more air when you're riding a
motorcycle... I
learned that after I got my new glasses recently and had to switch
back to
the old ones while riding my bike due to the wind drying my eyes out so
quickly that I'm having to keep them just barely cracked at any speed
over
35 mph...

Wouldn't it be easier to just wear a helmet?

Why do that? That helmet might just save your life! Wouldn't want that
to happen, now would we?
Old September 7th 06, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Emily[_1_]

Margy Natalie wrote:
Emily wrote:
Margy Natalie wrote:

Emily wrote:

Jose wrote:

[...]

That's why I don't wear glasses. It drives me insane to have any kind
of smear on them, so at night, I spend all my time cleaning them off. I
couldn't imagine doing that all day.
Old September 7th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Wouldn't it be easier to just wear a helmet?

Why do that? That helmet might just save your life! Wouldn't want that
to happen, now would we?

You know, there are helmets that do not cover the face with a shield, also.

I know that you come out better with a full face shield in a crash, but I
think I will take the increase in safety by wearing any kind of a helmet,
and leave it at that.

I feel like I might as well be riding a car, as riding a bike with my face
totally covered up.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 7th 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
unnecessary if you have a full face shield.

Agreed and *usually* I have a full coverage helmet... Sometimes if I'm just
taking a quick trip through the local neighborhood streets, I won't wear a
helmet though... Of course, it has a greater risk in the event of an
accident, but it's nice to at least have the choice of whether or not to
wear a helmet... If I'm on the highway, I nearly always wear a full coverage
helmet -- there's probably only been a couple of times when I didn't...

Old September 8th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

I feel like I might as well be riding a car, as riding a bike with my face
totally covered up.

I don't know about you, but riding my motorcycle with either my full-face
helmet or my 3/4 helmet with full-face shied definitely does NOT feel like
riding in my car.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the

Old September 8th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Grumman-581[_3_]

"Morgans" wrote in message
I feel like I might as well be riding a car, as riding a bike with my face
totally covered up.

Depends upon how much you like the taste of the bugs that fly around near
dusk...

Old September 13th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Alan Gerber

Cubdriver usenet AT danford.net wrote:
If you'd have trouble landing the plane without corrective lenses,
then a backup is surely in order.

No way *I'm* landing a plane without corrective lenses.

I wear contact lenses, and, until recently, didn't carry my glasses.
Then, a few weeks ago at the beach, I got something in my eyes (sand?
sweaty sunscreen?) that stung so badly I took out my lenses and let my
wife drive home. That's never happened to me, in many years of wearing
contacts, but one time was enough.

I always carry glasses in my flight bag now.

.... Alan

--
Alan Gerber
gerber AT panix DOT com