Push to Talk Switch

Old December 22nd 04, 08:24 AM
Jackal24

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in news:41C8DBBC.589FFD5
@verizon.net:

11-12100

Thank you very much.

Tyson
Old December 22nd 04, 08:27 AM
Jackal24

"Bill Denton" wrote in
news
But how much is a reliable switch worth when you're truckin' through a
Class B and all hell breaks lose?

First, the plane does have a handheld mic if need be. Second, how much
more reliable do you think a $50 switch is versus a $0.50 one? I doubt
very much at all. In fact, they are probably the same switch.

Now that I found one for $13, I am fine with it. $13 is overpriced too,
but much better than $50.

Tyson
Old December 22nd 04, 12:55 PM
Denny

As a long time user of parts from the Shack, let me comment that their
push button switches are not reliable... Order a name brand product
from DigiKey, or Mouser, or Dan's RF, etc...

Denny

Old December 22nd 04, 01:46 PM
Peter R.

Bill Denton ) wrote:

But how much is a reliable switch worth when you're truckin' through a Class
B and all hell breaks lose?

As a previous owner of a Cessna, I can attest to the fact that the
Cessna PTT switches are *not* that reliable and certainly not worth the
price for the part.

--
Peter

Old December 22nd 04, 03:05 PM

Bill Denton wrote:
But how much is a reliable switch worth when you're truckin' through

a Class
B and all hell breaks lose?

I agree. However, a more expensive switch is not necessary more
reliable than a cheaper one. Last year, we paid something like $10 for
a PTT for the copilot side. It did not work with the intercom. I
learned from the newsgroup that it needed to be rewired. Since we could
not figure out a way to crack the plastic box opened, we took it to our
avionic guy. He convinced us to pay for a $75 PTT switch. Since it was
a newer switch, we put it in the pilot's side. Later on, I decided to
modify the cheap switch myself to keep as a backup. Anyway, few weeks
later, the spanking new switch malfunctioned and created an
embarrassment incidence where the ATC could hear everything which we
said in the cockpit. At least, we were not in a B space. It turned out
to be a bad solder joint of one of the ground wires. We resoldered it
then another solder joint broke (all within a month or two). We could
have returned it, but I decided to resolder all the wiring and added a
strain reliever (which should have been part of the design in the first
place!!). BTW, we has been using the cheap $10 PTT in the pilot's side
for the last 9 months or so and it has been working fine.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:08 PM
Bill Denton

Interesting point...

How old was the Cessna?

While somebody operating out of a cornfield might use the PTT a few times a
year, somebody consistently flying in a Class B might be using it a couple
of times a minute.

The switches do wear out, I wonder if it might be worth replacing it
periodically, based on how frequently it is used?

Old December 22nd 04, 03:20 PM
tscottme

A built-in PTT was one reason I chose my particular headset. It has a PTT
built into one of the earcups. If the aircraft's, or any add-on PTT goes
TU, I can plug my headset into the jacks directly and use my last-ditch PTT.

--

Scott

Old December 22nd 04, 03:49 PM
Peter R.

Bill Denton ) wrote:

How old was the Cessna?

Two years old.

While somebody operating out of a cornfield might use the PTT a few times a
year, somebody consistently flying in a Class B might be using it a couple
of times a minute.

Or class C. The aircraft was based at a class C airport and,
consequently, the switch was used frequently.

The switches do wear out, I wonder if it might be worth replacing it
periodically, based on how frequently it is used?

This is definitely an item that can be replaced after it fails rather
than preemptively, since there are two other switches in the cockpit
(other yoke and mic switch).

--
Peter

Old December 22nd 04, 11:34 PM
john smith

David Clark PTT's are built with two switches in the housing.
I have yet to have one go bad.