Green Arc Red Zone

Old December 25th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

Default Green Arc Red Zone

Jack Allison's discussion of the Hartzell AD for his Arrow has gotten me
to thinking.
What aircraft do you fly/have you flown/do you have first hand knowledge
of which have a red zone somewhere in the green arc of the tachometer?

For example, I know there are/were certain models of Cessna 210's that
had such markings, but I cannot remember the specific models/engine/prop
combinations.

Old December 25th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

Jack Allison's discussion of the Hartzell AD for his Arrow has gotten me to thinking.
What aircraft do you fly/have you flown/do you have first hand knowledge of which have a red zone somewhere in the green arc of the tachometer?

There was one aircraft I flew (C172? Arrow?) which had a placard to
avoid operations between (I think) 2000 and 2200, or something like
that. It was not marked as a red zone on the tach though.

Jose
--
He who laughs, lasts.
Old December 25th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Roy Smith

john smith wrote:
Jack Allison's discussion of the Hartzell AD for his Arrow has gotten me
to thinking.
What aircraft do you fly/have you flown/do you have first hand knowledge
of which have a red zone somewhere in the green arc of the tachometer?

My club used to have an Arrow-II which had a red arc from (IIRC 2150 - 2300
RPM). Green above and below that. The POH listed only two allowable
cruise RPMs: 2100 or 2400, nothing in between.

I may be off a little on the actual numeric values.
Old December 25th 06, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Several reasons for a restricted RPM, due to harmonic
vibration...some say not to have prolonged operation in
certain RPM ranges, some have a red range in the green arc.
I think Lycomng has a FAQ on their engines.

Old December 25th 06, 07:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

C-177B models also had a red zone range
you could feel the vibration in the floor if you were in the "red zone",
neat trick for instructors..
Instructor to student: "you feel that vibration"
Student: "yes"...
Instructor: "Then do something about it"
Student: "What should I do? I'm not flying to fast.."
Instructor: "You think maybe the engine or prop are trying to tell you
something?"
Student: "Oh yah.. That red arc"

BT

Old December 25th 06, 08:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Jose wrote:
There was one aircraft I flew (C172? Arrow?) which had a placard to
avoid operations between (I think) 2000 and 2200, or something like
that. It was not marked as a red zone on the tach though.

I'll bet it was the Arrow. I recall seeing the same sort of placard but nothing
on the tach, either.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Old December 26th 06, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Several reasons for a restricted RPM, due to harmonic
vibration...some say not to have prolonged operation in
certain RPM ranges, some have a red range in the green arc.
I think Lycomng has a FAQ on their engines.

The Lockheed Electra sure could have used a prop AD for this one!
Dudley Henriques

Old December 26th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_5_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote

The Lockheed Electra sure could have used a prop AD for this one!

So there was a RPM restriction on the Electra?

What do you recall? Didn't a constant speed prop pretty much bypass it?
--
Jim in NC

Old December 26th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Dudley Henriques" wrote

The Lockheed Electra sure could have used a prop AD for this one!

So there was a RPM restriction on the Electra?

What do you recall? Didn't a constant speed prop pretty much bypass it?
--
Jim in NC

I only have a vague recall on this. It came up during a safety meeting at
the Naval Test Pilots School many years ago.
If I remember right, it involved a harmonic mode (whirl I believe) not
transmitting correctly through the outboard engine mounts on the airplane.
They specified certain conditions that caused this to happen but I don't
remember what they were. I seem to recall that after the issue was addressed
by Lockheed and the mounts were redesigned, there was a further wing issue
as well that had to be dealt with.
I think Macklin will probably be the guy who can best deal with exactly what
was going on.
Dudley Henriques

Verdant green... Jay Honeck Piloting 17 July 9th 06 06:58 AM
Military Green Laser Pointer [email protected] Naval Aviation 0 July 5th 05 06:42 PM
Simple Green Pirep JJS Owning 13 May 19th 05 03:35 AM
I am in The Killing Zone Marco Rispoli Piloting 68 June 14th 04 05:16 PM
Garmin gpsmap 76s airspace zone home made maps (follow up) Gilles_Sauvagnat Soaring 0 May 13th 04 08:41 PM