Icom A24 w/ PTT and headset mic

Old September 2nd 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

Default Icom A24 w/ PTT and headset mic

I use my A24 lots, for listening to ASOS, communicating to aircraft at
fly-ins, ordering fuel, etc... I rarely use it with a headset.

The other night, I had a full-on comm failure and needed to use it
while aloft, with a headset. It took me a few minutes to remember,
but my radio keys only the radio's onboard mic when keyed with the
onboard PTT, not the headset mic. To use it with a headset, I need to
put the radio to my mouth and talk into the radio, the mic in the
headset is not used. My adapter is a genuine Icom product, with
phones, mic, and PTT connections. I'm only connected to the phones and
mic jack.

Can anyone confirm to me that an external PTT will in fact key the
headset mic?

My Googling has come up with lots of yeas and neahs in conflict.

Old September 2nd 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

I have an older ICOM A22, my headset adapter includes both headset jacks and
a smaller 3mm plug for a PTT which I had to order for that size plug. Keying
the 3mm PPT works the headset mic.

I do not know if installing the headset adapter jacks to the A22 disables
the radio's on board mic, I believe that it will because I also have the
"speaker/mic" combination that I use in sail planes, clipping the
speaker/mic to the seat belt and letting the radio sit beside. That
connection disables the "on board" mic and it is the same style plug set for
the headsets adapter.

BT

Old September 2nd 07, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 2 Sep 2007 14:42:06 -0700, "BT" wrote:

I have an older ICOM A22, my headset adapter includes both headset jacks and
a smaller 3mm plug for a PTT which I had to order for that size plug. Keying
the 3mm PPT works the headset mic.

I do not know if installing the headset adapter jacks to the A22 disables
the radio's on board mic, I believe that it will because I also have the
"speaker/mic" combination that I use in sail planes, clipping the
speaker/mic to the seat belt and letting the radio sit beside. That
connection disables the "on board" mic and it is the same style plug set for
the headsets adapter.

Thanks, BT!

The closest place I can get a proper PTT is ~ 30-40 minute one-way
drive, your info makes it sound like it's worth my while.
Old September 2nd 07, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 19:56:50 GMT, B A R R Y
wrote:

I use my A24 lots, for listening to ASOS, communicating to aircraft at
fly-ins, ordering fuel, etc... I rarely use it with a headset.

The other night, I had a full-on comm failure and needed to use it
while aloft, with a headset. It took me a few minutes to remember,
but my radio keys only the radio's onboard mic when keyed with the
onboard PTT, not the headset mic. To use it with a headset, I need to
put the radio to my mouth and talk into the radio, the mic in the
headset is not used. My adapter is a genuine Icom product, with
phones, mic, and PTT connections. I'm only connected to the phones and
mic jack.

Can anyone confirm to me that an external PTT will in fact key the
headset mic?

It does on my ICOM IC-A5, but the A5 connects to the radio with a single plug
instead of the A24's double plug. But it looks like the adaptor for the A24 has
the jack to plug in the PTT switch, same as my adaptor.

One caution: The radio PTT switch will still work, but it will key both mikes.
The adaptor PTT on my A5 only keys the headset mike.

Ron Wanttaja
Old September 2nd 07, 11:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Tom L.

A24,
headset adapter OPC-499
(http://www.spinnerspilotshop.com/cgi...html?E+scstore)
and this PTT: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/3313
work the way you'd want them to.

Old September 3rd 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 22:30:39 GMT, Tom L.
wrote:

A24,
headset adapter OPC-499
(http://www.spinnerspilotshop.com/cgi...html?E+scstore)
and this PTT: http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/3313
work the way you'd want them to.

Thanks, Tom & Ron!

I have that exact headset adaptor. I noticed in the manual that the
PTT simply closes a loop, so the Icom PTT's sold by a local
Fire/PD/EMS/Ham radio shop, with the same connector, should work.

I didn't want to drop the cash for the PTT to find that the radio mic
wasn't cut off.

It turns out my comm failure was related to my Narcos getting loose in
the rack.
Old September 3rd 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Carl Orton

I have the same setup, with the PTT. Works just fine with the headset.

I didn't check the links from some of the other posts, but I got my PTT from
Marv Golden. IIRC, it was $20, or very close.

Carl

Old September 3rd 07, 11:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 20:09:18 -0400, john smith
wrote:

Google the following:

ICOM HS-10SB

THANKS! That looks like it's worth a good look, as it'll let me
match the mic to the HH. I'd never heard of it.
Old September 11th 07, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 20:09:18 -0400, john smith
wrote:

Google the following:

ICOM HS-10SB

NG with the A6/24, headset adaptor, and Bose X headset.

I think I need a simple PTT to plug into the vacant jack on the
connector.