Why did Britain win the BoB? How could have the Allies have done even better? Homework help!

Old October 8th 03, 05:15 AM
John Freck

Keith Willshaw wrote:

Snip

No that would have been a bloody miracle since there never was such
a thing as a Hurricane Super Marine Fighter

But 'Hurrican or Super Marine Spitfire', and it is considered
exteremly poor manners to point out less that proof solid writting
error on the usenet which is a chat environment. Look, I'm not your
pupil, buddy.

I find it important to
note: 'tactical' and 'strategic' are not opposite. The sentence
'There are tactical variations of strategic bombing that include type
of aircraft used, altitude and speed at moment of bomb release,
maginitude, and target.' makes sense, and the inverse is true. There
are strategeis behind tactical choises. In any case, the RAF can from
July 1st, 1940 favor fighters even more than they did, and use fighter
bombers more over bombers and use bombing better.

They DID favor fighters, there was no such thing as the fighter bomber
at the time and the bomber force was being used in the tactical
role to attack the invasion barges. The strategic attack on German industry
didnt begin in earnest until 1942.

You are losing all context. I mearly encouraged and elaborated upon a
posters suggestion. The whole idea of killing off 4-engined bombers
is an extention of the chat Herbert Pocket posted. As I have already
told you, I admit the bomber issue as I cast has more and more
relevance further down time. Your point on Britain have a complete
lack of fighter bombers is of course true, and from July 1st, 1940 it
would be smart for them to get cracking.

Snip

Furthermore,
you indicate strategic bombing must be "heavy" bombing as opposed

"light" bombing. I think you use you vocabulary differently than

me,

Thats for sure, I also know what missions RAF bomber command
flew in 1940 do you ?

I have the "The Times Atlas of the Second World War, edited by John
Keegan" open now.

I think you need to read up a little on the subject , here's a free clue.

Is everyone rude, where you come from? Do you have that Scottish
anger of something?

Of the 13,000 tons of bombs the RAF dropped in 1940 only
137 tons fell on Industrial towns, the majority were on airfields,
naval targets and troop concentrations.

You really need to re-read the thread carefully. Especially, look
where I am responding to herbert Pockets responce to me. It is nice
that the entire "conversation" is preserved.

These usually count as tactical missions.

In fact raids on tactical targets exceeded those on strategic ones
until 1942.

Of the 13,000 bombs dropped in 1940 5,000 were delivered by
Wellingtons (twin engined) , 3000 by Whitleys (twin engined),
2700 by Hampdens (twin engined), 2000 by Blenheims (twin engined)
and the remainder by the single engined Fairey battle.

The RAF also procured 3,500 bombers in 1940 and 4,500 bombers in 1941
and 6,000 bombers in 1942 and 8,000 bombers in 1943.

John Freck

Keith

Old October 8th 03, 07:32 AM
Keith Willshaw

"John Freck" wrote in message
m...
Keith Willshaw wrote:

Snip

No that would have been a bloody miracle since there never was such
a thing as a Hurricane Super Marine Fighter

But 'Hurrican or Super Marine Spitfire', and it is considered
exteremly poor manners to point out less that proof solid writting
error on the usenet which is a chat environment. Look, I'm not your
pupil, buddy.

It is however just fine to point out egregious errors, no Spitfire
or Hurricane had the range or equipment to drop bombs
on Arnhem in 1940

I find it important to
note: 'tactical' and 'strategic' are not opposite. The sentence
'There are tactical variations of strategic bombing that include type
of aircraft used, altitude and speed at moment of bomb release,
maginitude, and target.' makes sense, and the inverse is true. There
are strategeis behind tactical choises. In any case, the RAF can from
July 1st, 1940 favor fighters even more than they did, and use fighter
bombers more over bombers and use bombing better.

They DID favor fighters, there was no such thing as the fighter bomber
at the time and the bomber force was being used in the tactical
role to attack the invasion barges. The strategic attack on German

industry
didnt begin in earnest until 1942.

You are losing all context. I mearly encouraged and elaborated upon a
posters suggestion.

YOU were the original poster

Its YOUR Post I am responding too

The whole idea of killing off 4-engined bombers
is an extention of the chat Herbert Pocket posted.

Indeed and its that I am responding to.

As I have already
told you, I admit the bomber issue as I cast has more and more
relevance further down time. Your point on Britain have a complete
lack of fighter bombers is of course true, and from July 1st, 1940 it
would be smart for them to get cracking.

They did as soon as aircraft became available. From 1940
onwards the Hurricane transitioned into the ground attack
role as did the P-40's acquired from the USA

Snip

Furthermore,
you indicate strategic bombing must be "heavy" bombing as opposed

"light" bombing. I think you use you vocabulary differently than

me,

Thats for sure, I also know what missions RAF bomber command
flew in 1940 do you ?

I have the "The Times Atlas of the Second World War, edited by John
Keegan" open now.

I think you need to read up a little on the subject , here's a free

clue.

Is everyone rude, where you come from? Do you have that Scottish
anger of something?

No I have that English disdain for those who dont do their homework

Of the 13,000 tons of bombs the RAF dropped in 1940 only
137 tons fell on Industrial towns, the majority were on airfields,
naval targets and troop concentrations.

You really need to re-read the thread carefully. Especially, look
where I am responding to herbert Pockets responce to me. It is nice
that the entire "conversation" is preserved.

I did sir you said.

"Your point A) isn't any scraping the barrel by any means. The Allies
wasted immense resources on bombers and strategic bombing. If
Britain, and the Allies, had cut out four engined bombers in order to
have a large increase in top fighters and a boost to strong, fast,and
long-ranged 2 engined bombers: Then Germany would have had a harder
time much sooner. "

You made an error sir, there were no 4 engined bombers to cut
during the BOB and they were indeed producing strong fast
and long ranged 2 engined bombers.

These usually count as tactical missions.

In fact raids on tactical targets exceeded those on strategic ones
until 1942.

Of the 13,000 bombs dropped in 1940 5,000 were delivered by
Wellingtons (twin engined) , 3000 by Whitleys (twin engined),
2700 by Hampdens (twin engined), 2000 by Blenheims (twin engined)
and the remainder by the single engined Fairey battle.

The RAF also procured 3,500 bombers in 1940 and 4,500 bombers in 1941
and 6,000 bombers in 1942 and 8,000 bombers in 1943.

And until 1942 they were predominantly twin engined types used
for tactical attacks. There is indeed a case to be made that mistakes
were made in the direction of aerial assets in 1942-44 but
this had ZERO effect on the conduct of the BOB which is
after all the subject

Keith

Old October 8th 03, 09:30 PM
WaltBJ

Bah.
The question was - what could have been done better.
Guy, don't tell me selected pilots (Poles; they would have loved the
task) could not have been used to attrit the minimum fuel 109s fleeing
for home, using the one pass haul ass tactic. Once the LW realized
what was going on - and this would happen at squadron level pretty
quick - 109 pilots would have raised the bingo fuel level markedly,
leaving their escorted forces in the lurch.

As for the off-subject topic of using fighter-bombers - lots of luck
with 109s and radar eying them.

The biggest miss of the bombing campaign was ignoring the electrical
grid. Those big transformers in the distribution yards do not grow on
trees and indeed are not heavily stockpiled. Nor are the turbines,
generators, etc - they're built to order, not on spec.
Walt BJ
Old October 9th 03, 01:20 AM
John Freck

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...

"John Freck" wrote in message
m...

Snip

But 'Hurricane or Super Marine Spitfire', and it is considered
extremely poor manners to point out less that proof solid writing
error on the usenet which is a chat environment. Look, I'm not

your
pupil, buddy.

It is however just fine to point out egregious errors, no Spitfire
or Hurricane had the range or equipment to drop bombs
on Arnhem in 1940

Yes, it is true that Britain had no fighter bombers, I guess; but I
did say, frankly, that my commentary becomes more relevant further
down time.

Snip

You are losing all context. I merely encouraged and elaborated

upon a
posters suggestion.

YOU were the original poster
Its YOUR Post I am responding too

In my original post you will find no mention of Allied strategic
bombing.
Reread my response to Herbert Pocket; this is a tangential subject.
The subject line should read: ‘Were heavy bombers the best use of
resources: Was...'.
As far as the BoB goes in a SimWWII war-game? Fighter command can get
cracking on fighter bombers; and get fuel, material, and manpower from
bomber command

The whole idea of killing off 4-engined bombers
is an extension of the chat Herbert Pocket posted.

Indeed and its that I am responding to.

He should speak for himself, but I feel that fighter bombers would
have been better for Britain to have from July 1st, 1940 than any of
the bombers that they had. Of course, to have Britain without any
bombers on July 1st, 1940 would require war-game that allows for a
beginning before July 1st, 1940.

As I have already
told you, I admit the bomber issue as I cast has more and more
relevance further down time. Your point on Britain having a

complete
lack of fighter bombers is of course true, and from July 1st, 1940

it
would be smart for them to get cracking.

They did as soon as aircraft became available. From 1940
onwards the Hurricane transitioned into the ground attack
role as did the P-40's acquired from the USA

Snip

No I have that English disdain for those who dont do their homework

You are just a complete rude jerk.

Snip

"Your point A) isn't any scraping the barrel by any means. The Allies
wasted immense resources on bombers and strategic bombing. If
Britain, and the Allies, had cut out four engined bombers in order to
have a large increase in top fighters and a boost to strong, fast,and
long ranged 2 engined bombers: Then Germany would have had a harder
time much sooner. "

You made an error sir, there were no 4 engined bombers to cut
during the BOB and they were indeed producing strong fast
and long ranged 2 engined bombers.

Good. You are still rude. Bombers were a poor use of limited
resources.

And until 1942 they were predominantly twin engined types used
for tactical attacks. There is indeed a case to be made that mistakes
were made in the direction of aerial assets in 1942-44 but
this had ZERO effect on the conduct of the BOB which is
after all the subject

The subject became the relative value of bombers opposed to fighter
bombers generally in W.W.II. You are acting like a military officer
who tries to dominate as a form of leadership.
I suppose you think there will be a bright future for humanity if
Israel-USA-UK jointly occupy the whole Middle East too, and you don't
car much for those who differ.

John Freck

Keith

Old October 9th 03, 07:52 AM
Keith Willshaw

om...

"John Freck" wrote in message
m...

Snip

But 'Hurricane or Super Marine Spitfire', and it is considered
extremely poor manners to point out less that proof solid writing
error on the usenet which is a chat environment. Look, I'm not

your
pupil, buddy.

It is however just fine to point out egregious errors, no Spitfire
or Hurricane had the range or equipment to drop bombs
on Arnhem in 1940

Yes, it is true that Britain had no fighter bombers, I guess; but I
did say, frankly, that my commentary becomes more relevant further
down time.

But its irrelevant to the topic

[...]

In your earlier post you advocated producing twin engined bombers
of the type the RAF actually DID procure, now you want to forgo
all bomber production. Make up your mind sir.

As I have already
told you, I admit the bomber issue as I cast has more and more
relevance further down time. Your point on Britain having a

complete
lack of fighter bombers is of course true, and from July 1st, 1940

it
would be smart for them to get cracking.

They did as soon as aircraft became available. From 1940
onwards the Hurricane transitioned into the ground attack
role as did the P-40's acquired from the USA

Snip

No I have that English disdain for those who dont do their homework

You are just a complete rude jerk.

Ad Hominem noted.

Snip

"Your point A) isn't any scraping the barrel by any means. The Allies
wasted immense resources on bombers and strategic bombing. If
Britain, and the Allies, had cut out four engined bombers in order to
have a large increase in top fighters and a boost to strong, fast,and
long ranged 2 engined bombers: Then Germany would have had a harder
time much sooner. "

You made an error sir, there were no 4 engined bombers to cut
during the BOB and they were indeed producing strong fast
and long ranged 2 engined bombers.

Good. You are still rude.

If pointing out your errors is rude so be it.

Bombers were a poor use of limited
resources.

The US Strategic bombing survey and other indpendent sources
disagree, the real debate is on how those resources are best used.

And until 1942 they were predominantly twin engined types used
for tactical attacks. There is indeed a case to be made that mistakes
were made in the direction of aerial assets in 1942-44 but
this had ZERO effect on the conduct of the BOB which is
after all the subject

The subject became the relative value of bombers opposed to fighter
bombers generally in W.W.II. You are acting like a military officer
who tries to dominate as a form of leadership.

Your inability to answer the point is noted.

I suppose you think there will be a bright future for humanity if
Israel-USA-UK jointly occupy the whole Middle East too, and you don't
car much for those who differ.

Changing the subject doesnt help much either.

Keith

Old October 9th 03, 09:30 AM
Guy Alcala

WaltBJ wrote:

Bah.
The question was - what could have been done better.
Guy, don't tell me selected pilots (Poles; they would have loved the
task) could not have been used to attrit the minimum fuel 109s fleeing
for home, using the one pass haul ass tactic.

There was no shortage of pilots willing to chase. Indeed, that was the
problem -- too many of them wound up getting shot down or otherwise going
down in the North Sea/Channel, which was why Park ordered his controllers
to keep them close to shore.

Once the LW realized
what was going on - and this would happen at squadron level pretty
quick - 109 pilots would have raised the bingo fuel level markedly,
leaving their escorted forces in the lurch.

As for the off-subject topic of using fighter-bombers - lots of luck
with 109s and radar eying them.

The biggest miss of the bombing campaign was ignoring the electrical
grid. Those big transformers in the distribution yards do not grow on
trees and indeed are not heavily stockpiled. Nor are the turbines,
generators, etc - they're built to order, not on spec.

If the Luftwaffe had been intent on a strategic bombing campaign in a war
of attrition, I'd agree, but they weren't. They were hitting what were
essentially tactical targets during the BoB (even the aircraft factories
qualified in this case, given the near immediate effect) so that they
could launch a successful invasion. The Brits could have easily provided
power to essential industries, and it was summer so the weather was good
and the days were long, lessening the effect on the civilian population.
The Luftwaffe didn't hit electricity for the same reason that we (mostly)
didn't in our most recent conflict; why destroy what you're going to need
in a short while, if you don't have to?

Guy

Old October 10th 03, 03:36 AM
WaltBJ

"Keith Willshaw" wrote in message ...
"John Freck" wrote in message
om...
TEN-HUT! Knock off the 'ad hominem' crap; save that for direct

commnication. You're boring me and every one else.

I commend "A Question of Honor", a new book by Olsen and Cloud, ISBN
0-375-41197-6, published ths year by A. Knopf. It covers the Polish
Air Force and their airmen, from the get-go through service in the RAF
up to the triumph of Solidarity. Highly interesting, in that the
highest scoring fighter squadron in the RAF during the BoB was the
Kosciuszko Squadron RAF# 303.) The highest scorer was Joseph
Frantisek, a Czech AF pilot, (17 kills), who was known to sneak out
over the Channel and bounce low-on-fuel 109s heading home. All y'all
interested in fighters should read this book.
Walt BJ