Scott 3200 tailwheel

Old August 23rd 05, 11:46 AM
IAN DONALDSON

Default Scott 3200 tailwheel

G'day from Australia

Ok! Who has got a Scott 3200 in their workshop that they don't want?
Any clues on one would be appreciated.

Regards

Ian Donaldson

Old August 23rd 05, 02:39 PM
Stealth Pilot

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:46:23 GMT, "IAN DONALDSON"
wrote:

G'day from Australia

Ok! Who has got a Scott 3200 in their workshop that they don't want?
Any clues on one would be appreciated.

Regards

Ian Donaldson

there is not a scott tailwheel in the world that isnt wanted by its
owner.
Old August 23rd 05, 07:04 PM

If it's for a homebuilt you might do better building your own. I
recently had to replace the 3200 on one of our Citabrias, and I got a
"deal" at $1100 (Canadian). It was new, but old stock; the dealer
quoted a current price of about $1500 for a new one.
It wasn't too many years ago that they were around $700. Did Scott
lose a big lawsuit or something?
Somewhere a few years ago I ran across an article that had plans
for a homebuilt tailwheel. I didn't keep it, and don't remember who
published it. Maybe someone here does...
Dan

Old August 23rd 05, 08:47 PM
jls

wrote in message
ups.com...
If it's for a homebuilt you might do better building your own. I
recently had to replace the 3200 on one of our Citabrias, and I got a
"deal" at $1100 (Canadian). It was new, but old stock; the dealer
quoted a current price of about $1500 for a new one.
It wasn't too many years ago that they were around $700. Did Scott
lose a big lawsuit or something?
Somewhere a few years ago I ran across an article that had plans
for a homebuilt tailwheel. I didn't keep it, and don't remember who
published it. Maybe someone here does...
Dan

Heck, you can buy a Maule pneumatic which works as well as or better than a
Scott. Much cheaper too, at less than $500, and what can a Scott 3200 do
that the Maule can't do?

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...e_sfsp8atw.php

(Jim Irwin, you owe me one.)

Old August 24th 05, 01:20 PM
IAN DONALDSON

G'day Dan

I have a Murphy Rebel with the standard factory tailwheel, but it has worn
badly in just a short time.

What I might do is make some major alterations to it to make it more
durable. But having seen just
how robust the Scott 3200 is I would really like to replace it with one of
those.

Regards

Ian Donaldson

wrote in message
ups.com...
If it's for a homebuilt you might do better building your own. I

Old August 24th 05, 01:24 PM
IAN DONALDSON

G'day

Well I have never seen a Maule wheel before. That is something to consider.

How do you consider that the Maule would be better than the Scott, apart
from the cost?

Regards

Ian

Old August 24th 05, 01:44 PM
Scott

I think it's the other way around...what can a Maule do that a Scott
3200 can't do? SHIMMEY! Years ago we put a Maule pneumatic on our
Cessna 140 to replace the hard rubber tire Scott 2000. Never could get
the Maule to work well, so we went back to the Scott. The other thing
that is nice on the 3200 is dual forks. That just HAS to be better than
a single fork in rough field operations...

Scott

jls wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...

and what can a Scott 3200 do
that the Maule can't do?

Old August 24th 05, 01:49 PM
jls

"IAN DONALDSON" wrote in message
G'day

Well I have never seen a Maule wheel before. That is something to

consider.

How do you consider that the Maule would be better than the Scott, apart
from the cost?

Regards

Ian

I should have kept the Maule a secret because now everybody will want one
and Maule will go up on them like they have on the Scott. Anyway, I have a
Maule pneumatic swiveller on a Super Cub and it is very robust and easy to
repair and to grease. Plus parts for it are cheap and readily available.
I put a new non-pneumatic swivelling Maule tailwheel on my Taylorcraft ten
years ago, and hung up the old Maule non-swiveller, and it has performed
flawlessly. People who have trouble with Maules,other than from just
ordinary wear and tear, usually let them go without grease. And then the
tire will wear unevenly and not caster correctly if your tail-springs aren't
shimmed for book geometry. You can see the exploded view of parts of this
tailwheel at the ACS link attached to my earlier reply. It is very easy to
maintain and repair, tapered roller bearings and all.

OTOH, I do like a Scott and see its many virtues, but for the money I'll go
Maule any old day. $1500 for a new 3200 is for suckers.

Last night I talked to a friend who paid $75 for a used Scott 3200 a decade
or so ago and (being adept with the lathe and milling machine) rebuilt it
for use on a Marquart Charger. I told him he stole it. He said that
although it had been a good tailwheel it didn't impress him all that much.
I'll have to see what tailwheel he's using on his latest taildragger
homebuilt. I'll bet you a dollar it ain't a Scott.

Old August 24th 05, 02:00 PM
jls

"Scott" wrote in message
I think it's the other way around...what can a Maule do that a Scott
3200 can't do? SHIMMEY! Years ago we put a Maule pneumatic on our
Cessna 140 to replace the hard rubber tire Scott 2000. Never could get
the Maule to work well, so we went back to the Scott. The other thing
that is nice on the 3200 is dual forks. That just HAS to be better than
a single fork in rough field operations...

Scott

Scott, I have seen those Scott forks bend, warp, crack, break and be
re-welded. Knock on wood, but I have never seen that big brawny fork on a
Maule crack or break. I have never had a Maule shimmy on my aircraft, but
have fixed a Cub's Maule that shimmied because the tailsprings had been
improperly installed and the wheel was mis-rigged.

Let's hear it from the bushplane boys in Alaska. That's where a tailwheel
does the ultimate duty.

BTW, a friend just got back from ferrying a VG'd two-ten to Wasilla, AK.
He said on the destination airport was an old Taylorcraft with a two-hundred
horsepower Lycoming on the nose.

jls wrote:

wrote in message
ups.com...