New vs. Used

Old October 31st 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New vs. Used

I just received an email with the monthly news from DG. The 2
paragraphs that struck me most is the explanation [1] of the cost of a
new glider and [2] cost of replacement parts. The high cost of a new
sailplanes and the delays in production was blamed on the war between
Airbus and Boeing. OK, lets say I'll buy some of that....but at the
same time I started thinking about cost of used gliders. If the analogy
used in the newsletter was applied both ways then the cost of used
sailplanes should go up significantly....or maybe for European market
the best purchases on the used market are here in the U.S.? When you
take the cost and read the explanation about the cost of parts...well,
it seems to me that the used market should be booming now. I don't know
how many of you received the DG newsletter but ....are there any
thoughts? I guess I will sit for a while on one of my gliders and wait
for improvements of prices on used market.

Jacek
Pasco, WA

And by the way Tom.....you can get parts to the PZL Jantar line without
any problems and that is not from one but multiple sources......

Old October 31st 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

From what I read, Airbus is having all kinds of problems, with CEOs
coming and going, delays in production, shareholders trying to dump
their stock, etc... If the A380 is cancelled because of air carriers
bailing out, and there is a glut of raw materials, does it mean that
the price of gliders will drop accordingly ? Here's to hope...

Cheers, Charles

Old November 1st 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GK[_1_]

[1] of the cost of a
new glider and [2] cost of replacement parts. The high cost of a new
sailplanes and the delays in production was blamed on the war between
Airbus and Boeing.

- In one of the previous DG newsletters their explanantion of higher
costs was....inability to produce a quality glider elsewere but
Germany.
They raise prices because they want to make more $$. That's it. After
all, they dont even have a competition outside of Germany.

Old November 1st 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Prices will come down when the chinese start building gliders.

Mike Schumann

oups.com...

Old November 2nd 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GK[_1_]

Mike Schumann wrote:
Prices will come down when the chinese start building gliders.

Mike Schumann

- Or companies like Honda.

Old November 2nd 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

GK wrote:
Mike Schumann wrote:
Prices will come down when the chinese start building gliders.

Mike Schumann

- Or companies like Honda.

Which builds their cars in the USA...

So, maybe we'll see a corporate buyout of Windward Performance, and the
glider renamed the "HondaHawk". I like the sound of that!

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

"Transponders in Sailplanes" on the Soaring Safety Foundation website
www.soaringsafety.org/prevention/articles.html

"A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation" at www.motorglider.org
Old November 2nd 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Not necessarily; we will have to be persuaded to buy
them.

At 22:36 01 November 2006, Mike Schumann wrote:
Prices will come down when the chinese start building
gliders.

Mike Schumann

roups.com...

Old November 2nd 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

If someone came up with a DG-1000 equivalent at 1/2 the cost, people would
line up to buy them.

Mike Schumann

"Nyal Williams" wrote in message
Not necessarily; we will have to be persuaded to buy
them.

At 22:36 01 November 2006, Mike Schumann wrote:
Prices will come down when the chinese start building
gliders.

Mike Schumann

groups.com...

Old November 2nd 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Neal Pfeiffer

What is for sure is that the cost of carbon-fiber cloth has gone up
greatly (well over 100%) over the past two years. Whether that is tied
to Boeing using (or stocking up with) much more of the aircraft-quality,
carbon supply for their 787 is a matter for discussion.

For some new gliders, the increased cost for carbon makes a case for
using carbon only in the highest-stress locations and glass for the
majority of the structure. The end product may be a little heavier, but
should cost much less.