Glider Collections

Old February 21st 14, 10:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Glider Collections

On Friday, February 21, 2014 2:31:09 PM UTC-5, Steve Leonard wrote:
Back to the original question. Kevin played 4 card draw. Tony played 5 cards. Go Soaring played 5 cards. Burt Compton played his 6, but two were quite new. So, maybe he played 4? OK, I will play what I think are my top 5. All fit the original '65 to '75 manufacture time. Prototype HP-14. Last homebuilt sailplane to win the US Nationals (1966, Reno). AS-W12, serial 15. Last one built. BS1, serial 12. Nothing special in its history, but Big and Bad. Kestrel 401 serial 32. Started off 17 meters, was cut down to 15, then later returned to 17 meters. Glasflugel 604, serial 8. Winner 1978 US Nationals, flown by AJ Smith. I could do an all wood hand, too. Have Old Dog Walters old Ka-8. I know. He who dies with the most toys still dies. :-) Steve

4 hand
Baby Albatross, 1-26 #002, Std Libelle, ASW-19.
Backed by ASK-21, ASW-24E, ASW-27, ASW-28
Too much new stuff- I feel unbalanced.
UH
Old February 22nd 14, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 4:43:24 PM UTC-6, Kevin Christner wrote:
What do you own?

2C

An airworthy 1958 Ka-6BR (#461) originally owned by Fritz Sebek in Miami, an airworthy 1967 Ka-6E (#4135?) that lived in the Tulsa area from near new, and an airworthy (after major repair and restoration) 1958 Ka-2b built from a kit by a club in Balingen Germany. I've repaired/restored all or part so these.

As restoration projects another Ka-6BR (1957 #337) originally owned by the Akaflieg at Braunschweig and then near Seattle for decades (under restoration), a 1954 Ka-2 (#38) stripped to bare wood and in the shop, but awaiting its time, a 1959 Lo-150a imported by Sven Jensen & Art Johnson in 1962 to Illinois (under restoration), another Lo-150 originally flown by A.J. Smith in need of major repair (fuselage in two main pieces, but with an imported set of wings to replace a badly broken one - awaiting restoration), and a Ka-6Cr that unfortunately was damaged at the 2012 IVSM at Harris Hill and has a fuselage broken behind the wing, but wings and horizontal surfaces intact (awaiting its time in the shop).

Then there is the ASK-14 (#14004) that I own with two partners. It is in quite reasonable condition, but needs a total restoration. I am working on the fuselage now and my partners will do the flying surfaces.

And yes, I live in Wichita near Steve. I have no intention of catching up to his number of gliders, and I have a wife to help me avoid it as well.

To get info on the old gliders, you might look for a copy of a recent book commissioned by the Vintage Glider Club, "The Vintage Glider Club - a celebration of 40 years preserving and flying historic gliders 1973 - 2013." Cumulus Soaring carries it in the US. It has details on many of the vintage and classic gliders around the globe.

Good Luck,

...... Neal

Old March 28th 15, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 3:43:24 PM UTC-7, Kevin Christner wrote:
I'm interested in finding out what some of the largest private collections of "classic" (roughly 1965-1975) are (Steve I already know you have about a gazillion...).

I currently have an Elfe S-3, Libelle 301, Diamant 17.2 and ASW-12. What do you own?

2C

AS-W12 SN 002
Rick Paquette
Old March 29th 15, 12:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff[_12_]

Low hours ASW-14 VG condition. Anyone want to add it to their collection?
Old March 29th 15, 03:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 2:43:24 PM UTC-8, Kevin Christner wrote:
I'm interested in finding out what some of the largest private collections of "classic" (roughly 1965-1975) are (Steve I already know you have about a gazillion...).

I currently have an Elfe S-3, Libelle 301, Diamant 17.2 and ASW-12. What do you own?

2C

I know where there's a good Edelweiss that wood round out our collection...
Old March 30th 15, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Tim O"Donnell used to fly a Susu 1A out of Warner Springs. Had not been there since 2003, but the glider was still there and being flown in 2003.
Old March 30th 15, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 7:04:08 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Tim O"Donnell used to fly a Susu 1A out of Warner Springs. Had not been there since 2003, but the glider was still there and being flown in 2003.

Tim is still flying his Sisu and logging flights to OLC, flying mainly from Ken Jernstedt airport in Oregon. Good on you, Tim!

Steve Leonard
Old March 30th 15, 04:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On 29/03/2015 22:40, Jeff wrote:
Low hours ASW-14 VG condition. Anyone want to add it to their collection?

Assuming it's actually an ASK-14 - then Yes if it has the electric starter.

GC
Old March 30th 15, 08:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, February 18, 2014 at 4:43:24 PM UTC-6, Kevin Christner wrote:
I'm interested in finding out what some of the largest private collections of "classic" (roughly 1965-1975) are (Steve I already know you have about a gazillion...).

I currently have an Elfe S-3, Libelle 301, Diamant 17.2 and ASW-12. What do you own?

2C

Only one new to me sailplane in my collection, 1973 ASW 17 s/n 17024, first flown by Rudy Mozer in 1974 Open Nationals placed 8th over all, first place went to Ben Greene. Flew more hours last year than the preceding 15, a flying restoration.
Old March 31st 15, 12:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeff[_12_]

It is a real ASK-14, and yes it has electric start. In Virginia.