Encrypted Flarmnet files and 3rd party software

Old March 19th 15, 06:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

Default Encrypted Flarmnet files and 3rd party software

I think this merits its own thread. Due to legal concerns, Flarmnet has encrypted their files, and as I understand it most displays including the Butterfly will no longer show pilot or glider information. This is separate from the opt in/out of tracking as I understand it.

I liked the ability to see who was flying the glider I was about to run into, or at least was opposite me in the circle. Also whether they were worth leeching off of. Of course you can still do that, but will need to associate the Flarm ID with the pilot in your head, since that will be all that is displayed.

This seems like a step backwards for those who's paranoia has not gotten the better of them. I'm not sure what he solution is, but at least one near term one would be to encourage everyone to re-register on a 3rd part sight, and recreate the old style Flarmnet database which would continue to be usable in existing PDA and (perhaps) display head firmware. Anyone concerned about being tracked would not need to register.

Does anyone else see this as a step forward? Is my understanding of this incorrect?
Old March 19th 15, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 11:31:25 AM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
I think this merits its own thread. Due to legal concerns, Flarmnet has encrypted their files, and as I understand it most displays including the Butterfly will no longer show pilot or glider information. This is separate from the opt in/out of tracking as I understand it.

I haven't played around much with this stuff, yet, but I assume that since Butterfly runs FlarmNet, their displays will certainly have access to a suitably encrypted database. They may also choose (or not) to pass the encrypted database and keys to LXNAV, LX Avionics, and other manufacturers of hardware devices. Where this is going to be a problem is with software like XCSoar, LK8000, etc., as I don't believe there is any way to distribute an encrypted database for use with open source software, without revealing a decryption key that can be used by the "bad guys" (OGN).

Personally, my preferred way to handle this would be to refuse to register my Flarm device with a private company that does not make their (opt-in only, of course) database openly available, and instead register with a company or organization that promises to make the data open to all. About all that database need contain is a tail number, glider type, and perhaps pilot first name and last initial. I note that one can now register their Flarm device with OGN, but they do not appear to have a link available to download their database. Perhaps they should...

Marc
Old March 19th 15, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 12:31:25 PM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

I am told by Butterfly that even there own display will not display this information, at least at present.

Since the PLAU and PLAA sentences pass the ID through the serial port, what is needed is an independent database located somewhere other than Germany where the legal considerations originate. From it an unencrypted file can be produced that will work with all existing software. It could be populated initially with the last unencrypted file which is de facto public record.
Old March 19th 15, 08:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Newport-Peace[_2_]

=
[...]

It is early days for the OGN file. I guess the first priority is to get OGN
up and running with the Flarm Tracking Server.

Have you subscribed to the Open Glider Network discussion group
(
http://wiki.glidernet.org/contact)? Perhaps you could influence the
design.

Tim.

Old March 19th 15, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

John, my understanding is that Butterfly display need the 3.4 version to support the new encrypted database. Where did you hear that the call sign is no longer supported, even with the new 3.4 firmware? This doesn't make much sense. If call sign is no longer showing I expect this is a temporary bug.

Ramy
Old March 19th 15, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 2:10:20 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
John, my understanding is that Butterfly display need the 3.4 version to support the new encrypted database. Where did you hear that the call sign is no longer supported, even with the new 3.4 firmware? This doesn't make much sense. If call sign is no longer showing I expect this is a temporary bug.

Ramy

This was in response to an enquiry to Air Avionics. It is possible I misinterpreted the answer, and that the Butterfly display would be able to decode the file. But PDA software, including their own iGlide, will not at this time. Maybe the Air people can step in and clarify the answer. I do not have a Butterfly Flarm display in my cockpit, so for me anyway, this means no pilot ID.

Has anyone seen pilot IDs on the new firmware? In the other thread, someone had upgraded everything and said they saw only codes, no pilot info.
Old March 20th 15, 01:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wolf Aviator[_2_]

At 18:31 19 March 2015, jfitch wrote:
[...]

bout being tracked would not need to register.=20

Does anyone else see this as a step forward? Is my understanding of

this
in=
correct?

Open Glider DB:
http://live.glidernet.org/db/

It is up to you, consumers to decide what system wins!

Regards
Wolf
http://youtu.be/aQUB7erVIKw

Old March 20th 15, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, March 19, 2015 at 6:15:06 PM UTC-7, Wolf Aviator wrote:
[...]

So the OGN database is a replacement for the Flarmnet database? I can load it into my SYM or Winpilot and leech freely?

PF Portable and Flarmnet Andy[_1_] Soaring 0 October 5th 12 02:55 PM
FlarmNet Brad[_2_] Soaring 6 August 26th 12 06:35 PM
Last Call -- Pool Party Tomorrow; HOPS party on Wednesday in OSH Jay Honeck[_2_] Owning 4 August 7th 08 09:42 PM
Last Call -- Pool Party Tomorrow; HOPS party on Wednesday in OSH Jay Honeck[_2_] Piloting 3 August 5th 08 01:16 AM
Last Call -- Pool Party Tomorrow; HOPS party on Wednesday in OSH Jay Honeck[_2_] Home Built 3 August 5th 08 01:16 AM