Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

Old March 25th 15, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 2:30:45 PM UTC-4, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 8:20:50 AM UTC-7, Dan Daly wrote:
On Wednesday, March 25, 2015 at 10:50:30 AM UTC-4, Sarah wrote:
Timely thread, gearing up for northern hemisphere spring.

I've towed with a Honda Accord ( V6 manual ). It's relatively heavy at 3400 lb, plenty of power and tows my old Komet ( around 2000 lb ) stably up to 70 mph. I've only been nervous once - coming down I70 into Denver with a steep downgrade. Slowed way down and it was OK.

The trailer surge brake has been inop for years -Any one have suggestions on where I could take it for overhaul or replacement with electric brakes? Local garage? Or, is even necessary? I really should check for trailer tongue corrosion and double check the hitch mount points.

On Tuesday, March 24, 2015 at 11:04:01 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Hi All,
..
What is the typical range o gross weights of a single seat glider plus trailer?

Recommendations on a good tow vehicles?

Thanks for your help

Bill

Google "Adjusting the wheel brakes of your Cobra trailer" and you get a pdf with lots of pictures on adjustment of the alko running gear:
http://www.cobratrailer.com/Bremsein...englisch_1.pdf

Dan

Link is inop (404 not found)

I found it pretty easily from the website. Look under the "Manuals" tab.
Old March 25th 15, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike I Green

I used a 32.5 foot long Motor Home. AS I grew older, ease and comfort
became more important to me. The driving didn't bother me.

MG

--
Mike I Green
Old March 26th 15, 12:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

Sarah wrote:
[...]

YES you want working surge brakes. I have a good working setup on my tube
trailer for my Libelle. I tow with a Mazda protege5 wagon (4 cylinder
manual), and having the surge brakes makes a real difference. Stability is
good. Had it up to 80 once while not paying attention.

You can tow with a small car just have a good trailer with brakes. The
German tow ratings usually are cut in half for trailers without brakes.

Peter
Old March 26th 15, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

The CVT is an awesome transmission for towing. My Nissan Murano has a CVT, great stability and very short rear axle to hitch distance. The CVT smooths out the power delivery to the wheels. There is no jerking going up hills like when the automatic transmissions downshift. Just a slow and steady increase in RPM. A great towing vehicle.

Unfortunately, for the new 2015 model, Nissan has reduced the rated towing capacity to 1500 lb. I guess I won't be buying another one.

Anyone at Nissan listening? I won't be buying another one unless you fix that!

My wife has a Subaru XV and it is rated for 1500 lb and we found that an ASW-27 in a Cobra trailer was getting to the limit for the XV. Probably fine for short retrieves on back roads at 40-50 mph, but not out on the highway at 60-70.

Old March 26th 15, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi All,

I am new to this group and last fall added a glider rating to my ASEL certificate.

I am planning to replace my car this summer and in anticipation of purchasing a glider someday, I would like to purchase a vehicle that would do a good job towing a glider. I also want it to get the best gas mileage that it can while still being a good tow vehicle. I don't want something that is marginal and will make long distance towing a stressful affair, but also don't want a vehicle that is overkill.

What is the typical range o gross weights of a single seat glider plus trailer?

Recommendations on a good tow vehicles?

Thanks for your help

Bill

My '04 Chevy Blazer tows my Cobra trailer just fine. I have to remind myself that the trailer is back there.
Old March 26th 15, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Thursday, March 26, 2015 at 12:33:12 PM UTC+13, Dave Springford wrote:
My wife has a Subaru XV and it is rated for 1500 lb and we found that an ASW-27 in a Cobra trailer was getting to the limit for the XV. Probably fine for short retrieves on back roads at 40-50 mph, but not out on the highway at 60-70.

According to Subaru Australia, the XV is tow rated for 1400 kg, not lb.

http://www.subaru.com.au/car-advice/...owing-capacity

Old March 26th 15, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

From Canadian Subaru Website:
http://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?We...ModelYear=2015

Measurements: Towing Capacity
Maximum weight (kg) with trailer brakes (Review Owner's Manual for details)680

Very strange how the same car has different ratings on different continents.

Old March 26th 15, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C

I think you'll find the different in ratings is a function of different test requirements in each country. My understanding is that in some countries (can't remember which) it is simply how heavy a trailer you can pull from a stationary start on a specific gradient.

As such it really doesn't tell you much at all about how it tows. Best place for information on this stuff is the caravan sites. It's not like most glider trailers are very heavy.
Old March 26th 15, 09:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Favorite tow car: Saab 900T

Current tow car: Hyundai Tucson - 2010, front wheel drive, 6 speed manual, 1000 lb tow capacity with out trailer brakes, 2000 lb tow capacity with trailer brakes

Great around town car. Would be excellent, if not for rearward visibility issues. 26-27 mpg freeway at normal speeds (around 75 mph). 22-23 mpg towing the trailer.

Adequate tow car. Normally tow Avionic/SZD 55-1 combo with an all up weight of 1700 lbs. (Yes, I did weigh it.) Have also towed Jantar Junior/Gehrline, 2-33/open trailer, 1-26/open trailer and single seat Grob/tube type trailer. Have towed to Montague, Ephrata, AirSailing, Logan, and Nephi. Have towed logging roads and freeway up to (shhhh! don't tell anyone) 90 mph. Front wheel slippage can be a problem towing up steep dirt roads in the rain. Recommend all wheel drive if you land off field a lot.

P9
Old March 28th 15, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

I found the best tow vehicle I ever had was a Sububan. I have had Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F-150 FX4, and Toyota pickup. The jeep, I got into. Swaying episode, recovered fine, but scared the daylights out of me. There are two problems with the Suburban, one is mileage is not good and the other was, I kept forgetting I was towing a glider as it towed it so well!