iPhone 6 Plus and iGlide

Old April 1st 15, 08:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

Default iPhone 6 Plus and iGlide

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 12:30:46 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 11:14:44 AM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 10:43:24 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
You don't "dis" it yet you mention every penny you paid...

Dan

I like the method you described for adding a turn point but think
that doing that in turbulence might add a bit of a challenge...

On 3/31/2015 3:39 PM, jfitch wrote:

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015 at 9:05:35 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

I find it hard to believe that you can add a turn point between two
existing turn points with one click using iGlide.* Please describe
the process.

With XCSoar on an Android I have to touch the point of interest,
which pops up info on the point, press the right arrow, and then
press "Insert into task".* That's 3 clicks.

I admit you have the advantage being able to upload your flight via
the cell phone.* With my CNv I have to download the flight to the
USB stick, remove the stick, walk to the hangar, and use the
computer to upload the flight.* Or I can simply take my Streak close
enough to the hangar to pickup the wifi signal and upload from
there.* These tasks are easily done while sipping a cold beer!* ;-D

On 3/30/2015 5:47 PM, jfitch wrote:

On Monday, March 30, 2015 at 4:32:16 PM UTC-7, wrote:

You guys who prefer iglide to Oudie, can you explain what you prefer about it? I suspect that what works best for each of us is the system with which we are most familiar. Personally, I much prefer the (highly customisable) displays on my Oudie IGC to the screen shot linked above, all data is very quick to find and to enter, and files are easy to maintain. I agree the touchscreen is not up to modern mobile phone standards but it is perfectly easy to use.

Hard to know even where to start. iGlide is like a modern iOS or Android app. Oudie (SYM really) is kind of like a Windows 98 app.

The iGlide display is highly configurable and also very non-modal. I can think of very few things that I would like to configure that I can't. File maintenance? You download maps, turnpoints, Flarm, airspace filed directly off the cell (or WiFi) network right into the application. You can upload your flight files same way.

A pet peeve of mine might serve as an example of the interface: From your flight screen on the Oudie, let's say you want to add a turnpoint between this one and that one. How many clicks, searches, typing etc do you have to do? In iGlide, one click, done.

The screen shot that Sean posted is not a great example, zoomed way out and not showing many features. What would you like to configure? What data would you like to see?

--

Dan Marotta

On iGlide, touch and hold for a second on the turnpoint or leg between points you want to modify, then drag to new location, it rubber bands the route and your done. If dragged near a turnpoint or airport, it will snap there.

I'm pretty familiar with XCSoar, used it for a couple of years. I'm not going to dis it - it was worth every penny I paid. However editing tasks on iGlide is far easier, no matter how you do it.

--

Dan Marotta

Anyone that doesn't absolutely hate their touch screen display in flight... isn't flying in turbulence very darned much.

-Evan (rough air aficionado)

You say that almost like someone who sells a system that lacks a touchscreen .

If you are fan of the old fashioned way, you can edit a task in iGlide by touching the turnpoint which automatically brings up a contextual menu, then touch Insert Turnpoint or Append Turnpoint, so 2 clicks.

99% of my flying time is in the high western desert. 8 knot thermals are normal, 15 knot thermals not infrequent. I am familiar with turbulence. There are sometimes when a touchscreen can be difficult to deal with, for those times you can always use the alternative key-centric methods. Many of the objections to a touchscreen stem from the poor quality of touchscreens on PDA devices, such as the Avier/Oudie. Modern cell phone touchscreens work far better. They are also (at least in the iPhone) an in-screen technology, it's part of the LCD glass. There is no overlay interfering with screen quality or readability.

The reason a stick mounted button set works well in turbulence is your hand is located to the frame of reference of the button set by your grip. If you haven't tried this with a touchscreen, give it a try: grip the sides of the device with your thumb and fingers 2-3, touch with your index. You get the same effect, your hand and touchscreen are now located by your grip and turbulence has less effect.

I am waiting for the apple watch,review with Iglide PRO. The Gold vs Platinum model.

Old April 1st 15, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Why not voice commands? I know Android has it and I've no doubt the
i-devices do, too. Too much background noise while flying so fast? I
know that speech to text messages can sometimes have hilarious results.

Old April 2nd 15, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 1:24:42 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

"Siri, how much climb to I need to clear that ridge?"

"There are three places to dine near that bridge"

"Siri, what is the headwind?"

"There are no Beduins. Would you like me to Google that for you?"

"Siri, can you call for a tow plane?"

"There is a tarpaulin store near you. Do you want me to call?"

Etc.

Old April 2nd 15, 01:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 3:30:46 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
[...]

I don't sell 'em, but I do support 'em.

I had a Streak 5 before, and it remains a thoroughly beautiful device with several significant problems, one of which is the hair trigger touch screen.. But even with some theoretical ideal touch screen, you still need to look very closely to place your finger just so. Precision hand/eye coordination in the cockpit is an enormous distraction and *anyone* flies better without having to do that. The XCS interface (circa 2012 for me, but I don't think it's changed a great deal since) contributed a bit to my frustration here -- it was stupidly easy to mishandle the touchscreen thus creating the need to back and do over (often making yet another error...). iGlide does sound intriguing... but without a really good-for-the-cockpit device to run it on, it's hard to get interested.

best,

Evan (affiliated with CNi but above are my opinions)
Old April 2nd 15, 07:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015 at 5:43:02 PM UTC-7, Tango Eight wrote:
[...]

The design of the XCSoar touch interface is not very good in my opinion either. It is verbose and very modal. But better than SYM, which in addition has tiny little buttons for some things that nearly require the use of a stylus in a quiet room.

No single system will please everyone. It's good to have a choice. My original post was mainly meant for those who were interested in iGlide, but wondering if the larger iPhone would make a substantial difference in usability.. I will say the an iPhone 6 Plus is a much-better-for-the-cockpit device than was the 5s. For normal flight iGlide requires no more hand eye coordination than any of the other cockpit instruments.
Old May 1st 15, 03:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

Has anyone integrated IGlide on Iphone 6+ with PowerFlarm core and V7 vario? Possible? Limitations?

Old May 1st 15, 05:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 7:53:06 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
Has anyone integrated IGlide on Iphone 6+ with PowerFlarm core and V7 vario? Possible? Limitations?

I have it integrated with the Air vario and PowerFlarm core. Since the iPhone has no exposed serial port, to do that with the V7 you would need the Air Connect which creates a WiFi network for the iPhone and accepts the LX serial data stream on a DB9. I assume then it would work the same as the Air vario, since the data stream it produces is the LX spec'd serial stream. If PowerFlarm data comes out that stream (and it must, if it works with an Oudie etc.) then the only thing you would lack is the instantaneous wind that the Air vario provides. That is no small loss, but a vario has to live with its limitations...

I have had the Air vario interfaced to an Avier/Oudie/V2 running Winpilot, XCSoar, and SYM so the contrapositive situation works.

http://www.air-avionics.com/air/inde...erface-systems
Old May 1st 15, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
son_of_flubber

On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 12:16:27 PM UTC-4, jfitch wrote:
[...]

This makes sense. If I got it right, the Powerflarm sends GPS and Flarm warnings to the V7 and the V7 interleaves additional data to the stream and sends it to a PDA via serial connector.

An Air Connect stands in for the PDA and sends the data stream to the IGlide app via wifi. So you only need one Air Connect to get the data from PowerFlarm and V7 to Iglide.

The V7 does actually send 'wind' data to the PDA and I'd guess that would be in a format that IGlide could use. Perhaps the sampling rate/resolution for the wind data by the V7 is not as 'instantaneous' as the Butterfly vario.

Thanks! Maybe it is finally time to trash my flip phone and get a Smart Phone...

Is it arguable that the IGlide graphics design and the Retina resolution combine to make IGlide on IPhone6 = Oudie2? The Nits number for the display is just one parameter of the story.
Old May 1st 15, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Friday, May 1, 2015 at 10:55:05 AM UTC-7, son_of_flubber wrote:
[...]

The Air vario derives wind speed from inertial sensors, it is updated 20 times/sec internally and sent once/sec over the serial link. The V7 would send the wind data it has which would be used by iGlide. The main thing you miss is the iGlide thermal assistant, which is instantaneous wind driven. It has 1 second lift dots like SYM or XCSoar, but in each dot is an instantaneous wind vector which is quite interesting.

I have yet to fly with the iPhone 6+, gliderport is not open yet. Last season I used a combination of an iPhone 5s and Avier/Oudie/V2 using mostly Winpilot or XCSoar. I found the iPhone 5s to be difficult to read in some circumstances, even though the screen resolution is way better than the Avier, it is smaller. It needs to be held close, and you need young eyes to focus on it as close as it needs to be. The iPhone 6+ display has greater resolution yet, and is physically larger than the Avier as well. Held side by side with no sunglasses, the iPhone is apparently as bright and considerably more readable at all angles to the sun. With sunglasses, the iPhone seems slightly dimmer but is still more readable. The two screens are polarized differently which may have an effect. With terrain turned off the Avier seems a little brighter. The terrain is considerably more detailed on iGlide, and the color choices perhaps better for readability.

You will need to add a charging cord for the iPhone, at least the 5s would only last about 3 hours on its own, the 6+ maybe longer but not enough for me.

iGlide Ben S Soaring 31 February 16th 20 05:14 AM
iGlide update for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) and iPhone 6 plus (5.5 inch) Sean Fidler Soaring 29 March 9th 15 04:24 AM
Butterfly iGlide App now available in the US Marc - Butterfly Avionics Soaring 25 June 2nd 14 08:10 AM
iglide [email protected] Soaring 1 June 2nd 13 05:07 PM
Butterfly iGlide Reed von Gal Soaring 4 May 2nd 12 06:00 PM