Gloom

Old June 18th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gary[_2_]

Default Gloom

On Jun 18, 2:30 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
On whose dime?

Get a job.

Old June 18th 07, 03:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
El Maximo

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
Jay Honeck writes:

Get out there and FLY, people!

On whose dime?

I don't know any pilots looking for handouts, so the answer would be on my
dime.

In your case, you're 'pretending to fly' on the electric company's dime.

Old June 18th 07, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 18:06:38 -0700, Jay Honeck
wrote in . com:

[Report of low attendance at the Cherokee Pilots Association national
fly-in snipped]

Thanks for the data point.

As I recall, the cost of fuel makes up the major portion of the cost
of aircraft ownership and operation. For those pilots who have
budgeted fixed amounts for aviation, that can only translate into
fewer hours flown. And that's what the airlines and large corporate
airliner manufacturers want.

As long as the government continues to subsidize profiteering oil
companies, and fails to impose a windfall profits tax and/or price
controls as was done in the '70s, the cost of living will increase in
proportion to the obscene oilmens' profits. And don't forget, that
our government is letting our currency, the US dollar, continue its
plunge in value, thus further reducing the purchasing power of US
workers. So while baby Bush and the sheiks hug and kiss, the American
populace loses ground on the financial front, and Halliburton moves to
Dubai to escape taxation on their non-competitive government contract
profits.

Welcome to the land of government of the people, by the corporations,
and for the corporations. And thanks for voting for that sniveling
nepotistic who is squandering our hard earned tax dollars at the rate
of $3 billion a week on a pointless war while irrationally supporting
the right of a zygote to Constitutional protections, irrationally
obstructing embryonic stem cell research, and embarrassing our once
proud nation on the world stage with his ineffectual illiteracy and
shallow comprehension. Maybe the corrupt Congress will right things.
:-)

Old June 18th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I do not get this argument. I would like to understand it. But why is
the little podunk airport important? 3B3 Sterling, Mass, offers very
little to the local economy, if anything. KFIT, my home base, offers
very little to the local economy, a couple of shops, a restaurant, a few
commercial flights (Part 135) per week. Are they that big a deal? KORH
is vastly underutilized, it is 30 minutes away by car. So seriously, I
do not understand the argument about saving every airport.

Just curious: How many long cross-country flights have you made with
your family?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 18th 07, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:49:49 -0700, James Sleeman
wrote in
.com:

10 years from now, I expect that the large majority of recreational
and student pilots will behind the stick of an LSA,

Or a sailplane.
Old June 18th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Kevin Clarke wrote:
AJ wrote:
We must make the general public know that the little airport in town
is necessary to them (not to us -- we know how important it is), and
how becoming a pilot can be within their reach. If we define
ourselves as necessary, and not just an old folks' vanity group, we
will have allies to help fight to lower or eliminate user fees, bring
the overall cost of general aviation down, and swell our ranks with
people who still have their prostate.

I love to fly. I love the fact that I have achieved something that
was a lifelong dream of mine. I started at 40 yrs old. Now I'm 43.
I'm as passionate about this as anybody however...

I do not get this argument. I would like to understand it. But why is
the little podunk airport important? 3B3 Sterling, Mass, offers very
little to the local economy, if anything. KFIT, my home base, offers
very little to the local economy, a couple of shops, a restaurant, a
few commercial flights (Part 135) per week. Are they that big a deal?
KORH is vastly underutilized, it is 30 minutes away by car. So
seriously, I do not understand the argument about saving every
airport.
KC

An airport, even a small one, provides a surprising amount economic impact
to a community. I found this report about a very small airport in Washington
state. They estimate that this airport with only 6 aircraft based there
contributes more than $1mil to the economy.

The report is short and shouldn't take long for you to read.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/NR/rdonlyres...0/OR_Forks.pdf

Old June 18th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

In spite of GARA, liability is still the single biggest threat to the success of GA. The only thing that will save aviation is further, drastic Tort reform. We need to limit lawsuits of ANY kind in aviation to 7 years

How would you protect the innocent against valid claims? Or do you aver
that no claims are valid?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Old June 18th 07, 04:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

I do not get this argument. I would like to understand it. But why is the little podunk airport important? 3B3 Sterling, Mass, offers very little to the local economy, if anything.

3B3 makes all the other airports more valuable, just as they make 3B3
valuable. (imagine how useless 3B3 would be if there were no other
airports)

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

Old June 18th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

How would you protect the innocent against valid claims? Or do you
aver that no claims are valid?

Loser pays.

Attractive on the surface, but that means deeper pockets can take the
risk much more easily than shallow pockets. Then, the mere =threat= of
a lawsuit has a dampening effect proportional to the pockets making the
thread, and inversely proportional to the pockets receiving it.

That's a serious flaw.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.