Small Altimeter Options for Gliders

Old November 12th 09, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers

Default Small Altimeter Options for Gliders

I am going to build a new panel for my glider this winter and would
like to go with all small instruments.

The Altimeter is the only one that I am having trouble deciding on, I
thought I was going to need a "certified" altimeter but recently spoke
to a very reputable source and found out that a "certified" altimeter
is not required for VFR flying, so this opens my options.

I have it narrowed down to four choices listed below.

1) New Winter altimeter $900 ( A lot more than I would like to spend)

2) Used Aerosonic for $500 to $700 ( looks like a very nice
instrument, a bit heavier than the Winter)

3) UMA single pointer 20k $300 (These look very difficult to read
accuratly as the 20k is one full rotation)

4) Microtim digital altimeter from ( http://www.microtim.com/index.htm
) (This option looks very good to me, it takes up very little panel
space, easy to read, self contained long lasting battery, easy on the
wallet compared to other options)

I found a post by Mike Borgelt where he stated he was using a Microtim
altimeter and he reccomended it.

Does anyone know of any good reason not to install a Microtim?

Thanks for any advice,
Joe Simmers
Old November 12th 09, 01:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Joe,

I imagine that this will sound like I'm just trying to sell you an expensive
(but very nice) Winter altimeter, but... You may want to consider how the
altimeter will affect the re-sale value of the glider. As a buyer I would
shy away from gliders with non-standard altimeters and would be included to
buy a glider with a Winter altimeter - because I know it is legal and
reliable.

The low cost options do look very interesting. I'm very curious to hear how
many pilots use non-certified altimeters - and whether they are legal in
Experimental and type-certificated gliders in the USA.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old November 12th 09, 01:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

joesimmers wrote:

thought I was going to need a "certified" altimeter but recently spoke
to a very reputable source and found out that a "certified" altimeter
is not required for VFR flying,

This depends on where you're flying. In EASA country, a certified
altimeter is part of the required minimum equipment.
Old November 12th 09, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 12, 7:55*am, joesimmers wrote:
[...]

This comment will repeat a phrase which is more and more common. Look
into information in your Flt and Maint. manuals related to
instrumentation.
If your glider is licensed in the standard catagory, the FAA's
position is that the glider must conform to "approved data", ie the
manufacturer's documents.
Ah! But my glider is Experimental. Now go look at your operating
limitations which, unless they are non standard or old, will also
indicated that the glider is to be maintained in accordance with
manufacturer's information(approved data).
In reality, it probably makes no difference unless you have a problem,
but you should read your documents before making your decision.
Functionally, a small digital altimiter seems like a nice improvement-
unless of course, the power supply pukes.
Confusing answer huh!
UH
Old November 12th 09, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers

This depends on where you're flying. In EASA country, a certified
altimeter is part of the required minimum equipment.

This is for flying in the USA, sorry forgot to include that.

Joe
Old November 12th 09, 01:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

Speaking only to readability, I recommend the digital option. The 57
mm Winter altimeter is horrible, because Winter decided to use a 10
foot interval and thus overcrowded the dial. If they had simply used a
20 foot interval, like the 80 mm United altimeter, it would have been
1000% better.

Having said that, I recommend that you go with whatever your Flight
Manual calls out.

-John
Old November 12th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
joesimmers

Hello Uncle Hank, I have went through the manuals and the only thing
I can find for a requirement simply states "ALTIMETER" and nothing
else.

Glider is an asw27 licensed in the Standard category.

Thanks, Joe
Old November 12th 09, 02:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

joesimmers wrote:
I have went through the manuals and the only thing I can find
for a requirement simply states "ALTIMETER" and nothing else.

When it is on the required minimum equipment list, then it must be
certified. At least that's how I understand it.
Old November 12th 09, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
luv2glide

[...]

I re-did my panel and put in a small altimeter. Would not do that
again. They are not user friendly for reading.
Old November 12th 09, 03:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Nov 12, 4:55*am, joesimmers wrote:
[...]

I used a Winter 57mm for a summer. I found it extremely hard to read
and prone to misreading. What I reverted to is the altimeter
display on the CAI 302. The panel this year has a United 80mm that is
usable.

Please see panel pictures the top two pictures show the two different
altitmeters,

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate.htm

If you need any tips on panel construction give me a call.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

WTB: used 57mm Altimeter OR swap for 80mm Altimeter joesimmers Soaring 0 November 3rd 09 11:59 AM
LED options Ken Gage Home Built 2 November 8th 07 12:01 AM
Options [email protected] Soaring 32 March 14th 05 05:33 PM
Lycoming O-290-D options Gene Z. Ragan Home Built 6 March 11th 04 10:17 AM
Small Blue Planet Toys goes Postal !! Economy Shipping Options now availalble Small Blue Planet Toys Aviation Marketplace 0 July 11th 03 04:00 PM