Run up for plug clearing

Old October 10th 04, 01:34 AM
Peter Duniho

"Thomas Borchert" wrote in message
I'm known as much non-anti-Microsoft as they come, but with regard to
Outlook Express as a newsreader, Larry's right on. It just plain s*cks.

No. Your opinion is that it sucks. But thankfully, your opinion is not the
written Gospel. It takes a real idiot to think that they are the absolute
truth in what does or does not suck.

I've used a half-dozen different newsreaders over the years. If OE really
did suck, I guarantee you that I wouldn't be using it right now.

You, and everyone else that dislikes OE, are free to their opinion. But
don't expect to say something stupid like stating your opinion as an
absolute truth without the idiocy of doing so being pointed out to you.

Frankly, what I really don't understand is why someone that doesn't like OE
would keep using it. At least you and Larry find alternatives that suit you
better.

Pete

Old October 10th 04, 02:20 AM
Daniel L. Lieberman

Dudley,
You have made my point. There is a POH for every plane. A pilot should read
it when he has a question. He is supposed to always be learning. If he has
found an answer then he should verify what he has found with a CFI if he
feels it necessary.

The question did NOT contain the necessary information to find a specific
answer. What I quoted was quoted as an example of what can be found by
reading the POH.

The instructor obviously, if he is competent, which we must assume until
proven otherwise could answer the question - what does that teach the pilot?

The pilot has the ultimate responsibility for what he does. At some time he
must cut the apron strings and act like a PIC. That obviously requires
asking a more knowledgeable person if he cannot answer a question himself
with a little work.

Daniel

P.S. I believe that almost all CFIs are competent. The ultimate goal is to
generate a safe pilot who can fly himself.

Old October 10th 04, 04:21 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Daniel L. Lieberman" wrote in message
Dudley,
You have made my point. There is a POH for every plane. A pilot should
read it when he has a question.

Of course.

He is supposed to always be learning.

Basic flying 101.

If he has
found an answer then he should verify what he has found with a CFI if
he feels it necessary.

One way to handle it that's for sure. He could also check any and all
available sources of information as he should be doing; and this would
include any good CFI; the result should be a path leading directly to
the manufacturer's POH.
My point was simply that your statement as worded assumed that the
"average flight instructor" might not know enough to point the
questioner in the direction of the POH; an assumption I totally disagree
with.
I have no problem at all with your basic premise that checks the POH. In
fact that would be MY answer as well. Since I'm a flight instructor, and
would have done that, your added "assumption" to your comment about
CFI's not necessarily knowing enough to point a pilot to the POH I
thought might need a bit of "adjustment" so to speak. :-)

The question did NOT contain the necessary information to find a
specific answer.

Correct.

What I quoted was quoted as an example of what can be found by
reading the POH.

Also correct. Just don't assume that the "average flight instructor"
wouldn't know enough to point someone in the right direction.

The instructor obviously, if he is competent, which we must assume
until proven otherwise could answer the question - what does that
teach the pilot?

Don't assume anything in flying. It will kill you in short order! As for
"teaching the pilot". It isn't a CFI "game". If a pilot has a question,
you give him what you have and point him in the right direction to the
answer. In this case it's the POH. Any informative source can do that.
It's up to the pilot to make maximum use of all available sources and
sort out the good from the bad.
Again, my comment on your remark is directed only to your instructor
reference being not as reliable as the manufacturer's POH. BOTH should
be equally reliable in the context of this question; the POH for
supplying the needed data and the instructor for supplying the path to
the POH for obtaining that data.
It's no big deal, but I like to keep the air nice and clean when it
comes to statements about instructors.
Your basic point about the POH was correct. In my opinion, your added
reference about the "average instructor" I thought needed some
additional clarification which we have done I believe.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Flight Instructor/Aerobatics/Retired

Old October 10th 04, 11:21 AM
Cub Driver

There is a POH for every plane.

If only this were true! I would love to have a POH for the 1946 J-3
Cub that I fly.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! www.vivabush.org

Old October 10th 04, 02:05 PM
Larry Dighera

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 06:21:11 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote in
::

There is a POH for every plane.

If only this were true! I would love to have a POH for the 1946 J-3
Cub that I fly.

Owner's Manual for Cub Special J-3C-65……………..………$10.00
http://www.cub-club.com/Printed72303.doc

Here's a CD with 8 different Cub manuals:
http://www.flight-manuals-on-cd.com/Cub.html

There's one he
http://www.aeroplanebooks.com/seriesPilot.htm

Piper Cub J-3 Service Manual
http://www.historicaviation.com/historicaviation/product_info.po;jsessionid=vE63PPu_0M-U90wTx3XdDKst(0CpplRPt)?ID=1544
http://www.xs4all.nl/~aviation/books3.html
http://www.texair.com/rfq/catalog-P.asp

Old October 10th 04, 05:54 PM
Jim Weir

You can't be serious as to not know the difference between a POH and an owners'
manual, can you?

Jim

Larry Dighera

-On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 06:21:11 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote in
::
-
-