How is IFF working?

Old November 21st 03, 12:25 PM
Tobias Endrullis

Default How is IFF working?

Hi,
can anyone tell (explain) me how IFF mode 4 is working? Or does anyone know a page in the web where I can find information about
that?

Tobias

Old November 21st 03, 03:52 PM
GLOSM

Americans need not answer
Old November 21st 03, 10:34 PM
Tobias Endrullis

"GLOSM" schrieb im Newsbeitrag ...
Americans need not answer

yep, but I would like to know!!!!
Old November 22nd 03, 01:41 AM
Brian

"Tobias Endrullis" wrote in message

"GLOSM" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Americans need not answer

yep, but I would like to know!!!!

It uses a ROT-13 encoded flux capacitor to generate very high powered
microwave pulses that can only be decoded with another matched flux
capacitor. Use the wrong flux capacitor and you get nothing.

Old November 22nd 03, 02:06 AM
Gene Storey

There really isn't much data published on the IFF algorithm,
because it is mostly confidential, and not released to the public.

Basically the system is a challenge/response system. You challenge
the target with an encrypted word. This word is decoded if you have
the right code of the day. The word is changed every challenge, so
in effect, you may get a stream of 100 words, and you have to
decode about 95% of them in your 100 replies, or you will not be
upgraded to friend.

The word tells you to do something with the reply pulses.

Since IFF is in the L-Band, it is pretty much line-of-sight, and most
operators will select a single target on their scope, and the IFF will
operate over just that azimuth.

German IFF (NATO) is the same as all other IFF systems in the west.
The newer Soviet IFF system operates pretty much the same as NATO
and is also L-Band.

"Tobias Endrullis" wrote

Old November 22nd 03, 02:27 AM
Larry

Ah yes Comradski. You vont to know this Information Friend or Foe, more
commonly known as IFF, yes?

Dis system relies on a "daily key" or "Code of the day" and if I told you
more, I'd have to . .

Larry
AECS (AW/SW/MTS)
Disabled Combat Veteran