Flarm suppression of ADS-B out on Tow Planes

Old March 23rd 19, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default Flarm suppression of ADS-B out on Tow Planes

On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 3:07:18 PM UTC-5, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Friday, March 22, 2019 at 11:04:34 AM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
On 3/22/19 1:44 AM, Ramy wrote:
This sounds like an interesting possibility as the powerflarm core has a USB port. I’ll let Darryl analyze it...

Ramy

The PingUSB just uses USB for power, data goes out over Wi-Fi, typically
to a tablet.

Right. And a third party MUX box that can receive that WiFi could merge it with FLARM serial data. But ah if the data is lower-resolution ADS-R or TIS-B targets does that MUX take it upon itself to generate FLARM $PFLAU target messages? Can it even tell what the source of the data is? Does it assign higher $PFLAU priority that FLARM targets? Does it rewrite existing FLARM generated $PFLAU messages? How does the behavior of those algorithms compare to FLARM's proprietary implementation? Does it only generate $PFLAA messages for this other traffic? That may be OK but what happens when a target gets close and the user does not get the high-priority FLARM warning they might otherwise expect? How will different FLARM displays handle any strangeness here?

Again it depends on what you are trying to achieve. The GDL-90 protocol serial data provided by most of these ADS-B out devices does not contain all the information you would want to build the most comprehensive integrated FLARM and ADS-B In system. You can provide coarse traffic information akin to what ADS-B In systems do today, and that may be fine but there are critters hiding below the surface of the swamp even there. It's possible to provide better integration if working on the "other side" of the interface, e.g. before the information is tuned into GDL-90 serial data, and that's a benefit of say the approach taken with the FLARM provided FLARM chipset and 1090ES receiver chip. That unfortunately does not get you UAT-direct. I just can't imagine there is a way for FLARM to invest time in UAT hardware for the small USA glider community.

I am glad some progress is being made but just want to caution not all this stuff is a simple as it might seem (Hi Andy :-)) . If it was we'd likely have stuff doing this today.

I was going to chime in since we built some Statux boxes (with a Ping USB receiver in my case which communicates with Stratux through the RPi USB port). All the problems Darryl describes are true. There is no way to de-duplicate and, depending on your setup and the traffic around you, a single UAT target may show up as 1090ES via ADS-R, TIS-B or UAT direct - all within a few seconds. Similar story for 1909ES targets. Other traffic with the other ADS-B Out physical layer can light up duplicate target for you. In addition, you have to roll your own alarms, which will be different from Flarm, because ADS-B delivers different data than Flarm so you may be stuck with simple proximity alarms (good luck writing your own mux software to de-duplicate Flarm native versus Flarm ADS-B versus Stratux/Ping ADS-R via UAT versus Stratux/Ping TIS-B 1090ES for the same aircraft (I demoed this mess for myself more than once) and God help you if that aircraft is your towplane. Also TIS-B resolution is only a mile or so depending on speed and distance from an SSR ground station plus network lag so you need a way to display it that shows you this imprecision.

At the time I spoke the Flarm guys about plugging PingUSB into the Flarm USB port since that's how it transmits data and would give you at least a fighting chance at integrating all the traffic types. It seemed like there were a lot of obstacles and I expect not the least of it is that the US only represents a few thousand units and it's a lot of custom code and may overwhelm the Flarm processor. I'm thankful they rolled a new OEM chipset that has the potential to support ADS-R and TIS-B. As long as you have ADS-B 1090ES Out that solves 99.9% of the scenarios anyone could care about. I wouldn't hold my breath for anything more. There's just no reason for them to accommodate UAT die-hards if ADS-R and TIS-B are more practical routes to getting the same job done.

Andy Blackburn
9B
Old January 20th 20, 05:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think it would be great to see ADS-R and maybe TIS-B support in FLARM devices.

I had the same idea and made myself a hat with a ADS-B receiver for Raspberry Pi. The Pi is interconnected between the FLARM and the Butterfly display and the ADS-B information is added to the FLARM information.

My plan is to make it open source and open hardware, and provide PCB´s for those who are interested.
Old February 19th 20, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Bringing back this old thread.
So last year it seem that the ADS-B alarm suppression during tow was working well as I received only occasional short alarms.
However with most recent firmware and a new tow plane ADS-B installation I and others receiving constant alarm during the tow. Very distracting.
I don’t know if this is a regression in latest firmware or something wrong with the tow plane ADS-B.
I would like to know if others still experiencing ADS-B collision alarm during tow when towing behind ADS-B equipped tow plane.

Ramy

Old February 19th 20, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

The PowerFLARM and ADS-B in the towplane have to have the same ICAO IDs (likely already done).

Without a PowerFLARM in the towplane, the glider PowerFLARM will see it as an ordinary power plane and can get worried.

Perhaps enrolling the towplane ICAO ID in FlarmNet will help the display logic. Won't hurt to try.
Old February 24th 20, 09:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Urban

Hi Ramy

We're not aware of any regression. What firmware version are you using?

Sounds like the tow plane configuration is not consistent, either for the FLARM or the ADS-B transmitter. But that's me speculating.

Can you please send (IGC) log files to ?

Thanks
- Urban
Old February 24th 20, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

Hi Urban,

I am using latest firmware 6.82.
Our tow plane has only ADS-B out, not flarm.
What configuration error in the tow plane could cause such issue?
I also exchanged emails with Daniel and will provide IGC file as soon as I get to my glider most likely next weekend.
Meanwhile I was hoping to hear from others if they still noticing false alarms during tow now that more and more tow planes in the US are equipped with ADS-B out.
I assume from the lack of response that folks no longer experiencing issues, or the season didn’t start yet for them to tell. Maybe the folks at Seminole can tell as their tow plane should be equipped with ADS-B out giving that they are in the Mode C veil.

Ramy
Old February 24th 20, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
George Haeh

I am wondering if it would help to enroll the towplane ICAO ID in FlarmNet.

Of course the FlarmNet database is carried in the various traffic displays and flight computers, NOT in the Core.

Old February 25th 20, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ramy[_2_]

In fact this is exactly what we did. I added the tow plane to flarmnet so we can easily recognize it. It works. I first suspected that maybe this caused the false alarm but then recalled that the powerflarm don’t know anything about the flarmnet database as the flarmnet is only used by the display, and as such could not impact the alarm suppression.

Ramy
Old February 25th 20, 08:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Urban

Hi Ramy

Can't think of anything that's wrong here, 6.82 should suppress all ADS-B targets in the "right" relative position indicating a tow train. We'll have a look at the logs to figure it out.

As you mentioned correctly, FLARMNet does not influence alarming.

- Urban