Owning Update

Old November 22nd 04, 02:13 AM
mindenpilot

Default Owning Update

In addition to my owning update, my ISP also changed news servers, and I
took the opportunity to change my handle.
So... this is the poster formerly known as "The Weiss Family".

Well in about six weeks of ownership, I've put about 35 hours on my Beech
Super III (and more money than I care to count).
I am extremely happy with this plane. I think these planes are probably a
bit underestimated. You get a whole lot of plane for the buck.
The injected, 200HP engine really helps in the mountains, and performance
has been great.
With no wind, I usually see about 125 knots ground speed at 8500 ft.
It burns about 10 gph, and not much oil at all.
Not terribly fast, but fast enough for me.
Especially because I can have 60 gallons of fuel, my wife, my three kids,
and a little bit of baggage.
My two older kids love flying: "Dad, do a steep turn!"
My wife really enjoys it as well.
The only one I'm not sure about is the youngest (18 months) because she
always falls asleep!

I've done a bit of mountain flying, cross country, night flying, and just
hopping around the patch.
The plane is great in every aspect.

On the down side, even though the previous owner put about $6K into the
annual, I immediately had to fix some oil leaks as soon as I got it back.
I also got a spin-on oil filter adapter. Last week one of my KX-170Bs
broke. Other than that no major squawks.

I can't seem to say it enough...it is just awesome to pack my entire family
into a plane and go somewhere! With three kids, I really thought I was
going to have to wait until I could afford a Cherokee Six, or C-206. I've
been pleasantly surprised with the great performance (and looks...and price)
of my Super III.

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old November 22nd 04, 05:32 AM
zatatime

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:13:17 -0800, "mindenpilot"
wrote:

The only one I'm not sure about is the youngest (18 months) because she
always falls asleep!

Sounds like she isn't scared, so looks like a good start. On
commercial flights when I'm bored and can't see much, I sleep too.

Glad you like the bird and that its working out to be the right choice
for your needs.

Happy Flying!
Old November 22nd 04, 06:09 AM
tony roberts

Hi Weiss family in your new guise
I'm not into models.
Is a Beech Super lll the Muskateer that was upgraded as a military
trainer (I'm guessing that from the 200hp)?
I flew one this summer and I loved it!

Congratulations on your new baby!

Tony
C-172 C-GICE

Old November 22nd 04, 06:42 AM
mindenpilot

"tony roberts" wrote in message
Hi Weiss family in your new guise
I'm not into models.
Is a Beech Super lll the Muskateer that was upgraded as a military
trainer (I'm guessing that from the 200hp)?
I flew one this summer and I loved it!

Congratulations on your new baby!

Tony
C-172 C-GICE

The Super III is a Musketeer.
It's designator is an A23-24, and is the precurser to the Sierra.
It is basically a Sierra with fixed gear.
The 150HP Musketeer turned into the Sport.
The 180HP Musketeer turned into the Sundowner.
The 200HP Musketeer turned into the Sierra.

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old November 22nd 04, 07:03 AM
tony roberts

The Super III is a Musketeer.
It's designator is an A23-24, and is the precurser to the Sierra.
It is basically a Sierra with fixed gear.
The 150HP Musketeer turned into the Sport.
The 180HP Musketeer turned into the Sundowner.
The 200HP Musketeer turned into the Sierra.

Yup - that's the one.
In Canada it was offered only as a military trainer.
I loved the one that I flew - congratulations!

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old November 22nd 04, 07:06 AM
mindenpilot

Yup - that's the one.
In Canada it was offered only as a military trainer.
I loved the one that I flew - congratulations!

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
VFR OTT
Night
Cessna 172H C-GICE

Thanks a lot, Tony!
I'm glad you enjoyed flying it, too!

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old November 22nd 04, 03:03 PM
Nathan Young

wrote:

On the down side, even though the previous owner put about $6K into the
annual, I immediately had to fix some oil leaks as soon as I got it back.
I also got a spin-on oil filter adapter. Last week one of my KX-170Bs
broke. Other than that no major squawks.

What is wrong with the KX-170B ?

I had an internal gear break on mine. The result - the MHz digit
never lined up correctly with the frequency. Ie, you had to tune
127.50 to listen to 121.50.

The local avionics shop fixed it for $100. He also let me see the
'internals' while he was working on it. That radio is as much a
mechanical engineering project as an electrical one!

-Nathan

Old November 22nd 04, 03:36 PM
mindenpilot

wrote:

On the down side, even though the previous owner put about $6K into the
annual, I immediately had to fix some oil leaks as soon as I got it back.
I also got a spin-on oil filter adapter. Last week one of my KX-170Bs
broke. Other than that no major squawks.

What is wrong with the KX-170B ?

I had an internal gear break on mine. The result - the MHz digit
never lined up correctly with the frequency. Ie, you had to tune
127.50 to listen to 121.50.

The local avionics shop fixed it for $100. He also let me see the
'internals' while he was working on it. That radio is as much a
mechanical engineering project as an electrical one!

-Nathan

I haven't gotten it back yet, but the shop thinks that I have the exact same
problem.
I guess this is a pretty common mode of failure.

I guess I'm not surprised it was a mechanical problem, and not an electrical
one...
Just one electrical engineer's bias ;-)

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old November 22nd 04, 03:45 PM
Dave Butler

mindenpilot wrote:

I guess I'm not surprised it was a mechanical problem, and not an electrical
one...
Just one electrical engineer's bias ;-)

Those KX-170Bs are like the Energizer Bunny if you just keep them mechanically
clean and lubricated.

Old November 23rd 04, 02:13 PM
Jay Honeck

I can't seem to say it enough...it is just awesome to pack my entire
family into a plane and go somewhere!

That says it all, Adam. There is nothing -- NOTHING -- like owning your own
plane.

Knowing that our plane is fueled and ready to go, just 45 seconds away from
the Inn, assures us that life is full of potential. The ability to escape
the hum-drum pace of daily life on a moment's notice, the sheer power of
being able to leap continents and be in Florida in 6.5 hours, makes owning
an airplane worth all the headaches.

I think, psychologically as much as physically, aircraft ownership is the
best thing you can do for yourself and your family.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA