What a week..

Old February 19th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt.Doug

Default What a week..

Thanks to my employer's competition who was mentioned profusely on CNN
lately, and the winter weather, it has been an interesting week. All 4 days
of my trip were evening trips that turned into night trips. Wednesday night
had me landing at Logan at 2:30 AM. The approach was a roller coaster. ATIS
winds were 320/13G33. The 'G33' part was accurate but I was crabbing 40
degrees to the runway at 200'. The snow was removed from the runway but the
ice patches were still there. The anti-skid cycled so much that it seemed
the brakes weren't working. We hit a dry patch and the brakes tossed me
against my shoulder harness. One naive ignorant deplaning passenger asked a
flight attendent if the pilots were new.

The next night had me landing in San Juan, albeit after my bedtime. I
strolled out on the beach under a slight moonlight with the warm tradewinds
carressing me. I fell asleep on a lounge chair under a palm tree. What a
contrast in weather!

The next day's flying brought me something new for the book I'll write
someday. I got a lizard! At 176.000 lbs and 160 knots, it didn't stand much
of a chance. That iguana was outta here! The tower confirmed the kill.

Then it was off to the usual crap of LaGuardia ground stops, unavailable
gates once we get there, disruptive and drunk passengers, crying babies
puking on the leather seats, and unbearable cold. At least we weren't on
CNN!

D. (better than working for a living!)

Old February 19th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Feb 18, 10:27 pm, "Capt.Doug" wrote:
[...]

What aircraft & airline Doug?

Old February 19th 07, 04:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article ,
"Capt.Doug" wrote:

The next night had me landing in San Juan, albeit after my bedtime. I
strolled out on the beach under a slight moonlight with the warm tradewinds
carressing me. I fell asleep on a lounge chair under a palm tree. What a
contrast in weather!

Which bar do the pilot's from your airline frequent?
When I live in San Juan, the American Eagle pilots would congregate at
Loopy's (sic) next the the El San Juan/ESJ in Isla Verde, just north of
the airport.
Old February 19th 07, 12:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Whiting

Kingfish wrote:
[...]

Sounds like JetBlue from the description! :-)

Matt
Old February 19th 07, 12:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

snip
:
: Then it was off to the usual crap of LaGuardia ground stops, unavailable
: gates once we get there, disruptive and drunk passengers, crying babies
: puking on the leather seats, and unbearable cold. At least we weren't on
: CNN!
:
: D. (better than working for a living!)
:
:

Life's a beach...

:-)

Old February 19th 07, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke

"Capt.Doug" wrote:
I got a lizard! At 176.000 lbs and 160 knots, it didn't stand much
of a chance. That iguana was outta here! The tower confirmed the kill.

Call the caterers...

Then it was off to the usual crap of LaGuardia ground stops, unavailable
gates once we get there, disruptive and drunk passengers, crying babies
puking on the leather seats, and unbearable cold. At least we weren't on
CNN!

Wait 'til PETA finds out about the iguana.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 19th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Feb 19, 8:00 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:

Wait 'til PETA finds out about the iguana.

Pilots Eating Tasty Animals?

Propellers Eviscerating Tailed Animals?

Montblack, feel free to jump in here any time... G

Old February 19th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Newps

Dan Luke wrote:
"Capt.Doug" wrote:

I got a lizard! At 176.000 lbs and 160 knots, it didn't stand much
of a chance. That iguana was outta here! The tower confirmed the kill.

Last year a Horizon Dash 8 hit a porcupine. It was dark and the
nosewheel was right on the centerline. He said..."Tower, we just hit
something, you better send somebody out to see what it was." The
vehicle driver couldn't tell by what was left on the runway what this
particular life form started out as. The Horizon pilot confirmed it
when he said he pulled a bunch of quills out of the nosewheel.
Old February 19th 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("Kingfish" wrote)
Montblack, feel free to jump in here any time... G

That's just what the iguana's buddies said to him when they were out sunning
themselves on the runway.

Montblack

Old February 20th 07, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

On Feb 19, 6:47 pm, "Montblack" Y4_NOT!...
wrote:
("Kingfish" wrote)

Montblack, feel free to jump in here any time... G

That's just what the iguana's buddies said to him when they were out sunning
themselves on the runway.

Montblack

Hmmm. Not your best work, but we'll give you this one G

This week DHeitm8612 General Aviation 0 January 21st 05 01:19 AM
Narromine cup week AU Mal Soaring 0 November 29th 04 11:30 AM
new link of the week brenda Piloting 5 November 13th 04 04:03 AM
Flying B-29 last week Nolaminar Restoration 1 April 19th 04 10:15 PM
new - link of the week old man General Aviation 1 January 30th 04 05:42 PM