Condor 2 v 2.0.5 with VR Support

Old January 20th 19, 08:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

Default Condor 2 v 2.0.5 with VR Support

On Sunday, January 20, 2019 at 3:24:50 AM UTC, Hal Woodruff wrote:
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger on the Oculus Rift but it occurred to me that my vision might be a problem. I need glasses to read/work with a computer but am OK with my contacts for distance vision. Is this going to be a problem?

Its possible to get corrective lenses designed to fit into the Rift.

https://vr-lens-lab.com/product/ocul...-lens-inserts/

https://vroptician.com/prescription-...s/oculus-rift/

https://widmovr.com/product/oculus-r...enses-adapter/

Old January 20th 19, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Many Best Buys stores have Oculus Rift and Go demo areas so maybe you can find a store near you and try it out before buying. I had the exact same concern as you, went to the store yesterday to try it out and found no issues whatsoever. I was so impressed with the Rift demo that I bought one on the spot.

I have extremely poor vision and require progressive focus lenses. I'm considered near sighted and can't focus on anything beyond about 4" from my eyes. I also have dual astigmatism. Even with all of that stacked against me, my glasses fit comfortably inside the Rift goggles and my ability to focus was not compromised. According to Oculus documentation, the designed focus distance of the Rift screens is about 5 ft. I did not experience any need to try to shift the view location on my progressive lenses to get into focus like is often required with bi-focals or progressives since the entire field of the goggle's view is tuned to 5 ft.

As others have already posted, there are several sources selling corrective lenses for the rift and worst case scenario is that you'll need to spend a little more and get one of those solutions.

Robert

Old January 20th 19, 11:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hal Woodruff

Thanks for the help my eyesight and being able to focus with or without glasses. I did take Robert's advice and went to Best Buy to demo the Oculus. Without glasses the imagery was in focus and did not present any problems. It turns out that the online help files describe the focus is similar to viewing an item at about a 5 foot range in spite of the fact that the Oculus Rift lenses are about 1 cm away from your eyeballs.

The demo was impressive enough that I, too, bought the Oculus Rift on the spot.

Now onto to Condor - but first I need to wait for the computer upgrades to be able to operate VR equipment.
Old June 14th 19, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

Is this good enough to run Condor?

Intel Core i5-8400 - 8GB Memory - NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB - 1TB Hard
Oculus - Rift S PC-Powered VR
Old June 14th 19, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

https://www.oculus.com/rift-s/ - there are min specs there, and a tool you can download to check if your system is good to go or not.
Old June 14th 19, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew

I believe he was asking if Condor would run on his system.

From the Condor Support page:

PC
To install and run Condor you will need

Windows 7, 8 or 10
Intel i3, i5, i7 CPU or equivalent.
5.5 GB of free space on hard drive or SSD
A dedicated graphics card with 1 GB memory. The graphics card should have benchmark (www.videocardbenchmark.net) result of 1000 minimum, 4000 is very good and 8000 perfect.
(Integrated graphics cards and cards with benchmark result below 1000 are usable, but with severely reduced graphics settings)
Internet connection required for activation
Virtual Reality
Condor 2 supports the Oculus Rift VR headset, and using Revive also the HTC Vive headset. Both of these have their own requirements, which can be checked for your system using tools on the Oculus and Vive websites.

Oculus: https://www.oculus.com/

Paul A.
Old June 15th 19, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

Thanks for the information.
Im buying a PC just to run Condor 2
I understand that my Mac won’t work even with boot camp if using a VR headset.
Old June 16th 19, 09:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Wedgwood[_2_]

On Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 2:47:34 PM UTC+1, ripacheco1967 wrote:
Thanks for the information.
Im buying a PC just to run Condor 2
I understand that my Mac won’t work even with boot camp if using a VR headset.

MAC should work -- if the GPU is powerful enough.

The PC spec you posted above should be fine, but I would recommend SSD instead of hard drive.
Old June 20th 19, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ripacheco1967

Well... bunch of boxes arrived today... lets find out if this Condor 2 VR helps this pilot of planes with a fan on the nose become a glider pilot.
Old June 23rd 19, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Piet Barber

On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 6:25:55 PM UTC-4, ripacheco1967 wrote:
Well... bunch of boxes arrived today... lets find out if this Condor 2 VR helps this pilot of planes with a fan on the nose become a glider pilot.

come join us for Condor 2 flights with teamxc.us . We fly twice a week and chat the whole time on Discord. Great fun, and has kept my skills sharp over the long winter break.