Sticking Starter

Old August 31st 03, 11:37 PM
Wayne

Default Sticking Starter

The starter on my O-360 is not releasing when I let go of the starter
button. If I rev the engine slightly, it disengages at about 1500 RPM's. I
have sprayed silicone spray on the ring gear, and well as the bendix of the
starter but have only started it once since and it still stuck. Is this
common? Is there a common fix? Has anyone had one apart? I'd like to know if
the engine spinning faster causes it to disengage, or if it's only a a
spring loaded bendix alone. Any help would be appreciated.

Wayne

Old September 1st 03, 01:40 AM
Roger Long

Don't you mean just the Bendix?

--
Roger Long

Old September 1st 03, 05:33 AM
Robert Little

Most starters on the Lycomings have a sticker stating that they require tear
down and lubrication every 200 hours or 6 months. The nosepiece is held on
by 4 bolts and the shaft and centrifigal bendix is easily slid apart for
inspection, cleaning and lubrication. You can get the copper/bronse sleeve
bushing at most auto parts stores to replace the nose sleeve. If the shaft
is allowed to wooble, it will wear very quickly and cause the bendix to
hang. These starters are just like the ones on the cars up through the '80s
and a good alternator shop/starter shop can do a very good job of
inspection for you. Technically, they can not repair/rebuild ($25) them
but your A&P can with parts that you get from the manufacturer. The motor
brushes can be replaced and the communicator re-cut which is easier on your
battery and cables. Very easy and cheap. That is why rebuilts/exchanges
are very cheap ($175) aviation wise. But rule #1, get it fixed quickly as
it will get very costly quickly. Hope this helps. RTL

Old September 2nd 03, 07:26 PM
Rod Farlee

"Wayne" wrote:
The starter on my O-360 is not releasing when I let go of the starter
button.

Cause: grease from the starter's gearbox gets forward of the grease
retention plate into the Bendix and gums it up.
Easily fixed in less than an hour.
Remove the starter, take the Bendix off, clean its shaft and housing with
Stoddard solvent (kerosene), dry completely, lube with Teflon or silicone
spray (no oil or grease), reinstall.
Do this every few hundred hours, and it'll always engage fully and disengage
immediately.
Defer it, and it won't engage completely (causing uneven wear and early
replacement of the Bendix and ring gear), or won't disengage (likely
breaking teeth on Bendix and/or ring gear, or destroying the Bendix or
entire starter).

Also inspect the teeth of the Bendix and ring gears. Sticky Bendix might
not extend to completely engage these gears, causing scoring or uneven wear,
which can prevent completely engagement and lead to broken gear teeth.
Minor steps in the aluminum ring gear can be dressed out using a file. If
the Bendix gear is scored, it's $50 for a new one from Chief.

C-150 (O-200) Starter Dave Home Built 0 November 25th 04 11:57 AM
Starter books? Brad Mallard Home Built 5 November 3rd 04 12:11 AM
Free Starter, Seattle Area... John Ammeter Home Built 0 November 1st 04 12:37 AM
Stuck starter solenoid? Paul Lee Home Built 4 April 16th 04 02:58 PM
WTB: Starter Clutch Assy for GO-300 (Manual Start) Bob Romanko Aviation Marketplace 0 November 11th 03 08:37 PM