Nimbus 3D winglets

Old September 2nd 13, 02:11 AM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

Default Nimbus 3D winglets

Does anyone have any info about fitting winglets to a Nimbus 3D they can share with me? I'm interested in fitting them at both 23m as well as 25.6m span.

TIA
Colin
Old September 2nd 13, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2KA

Colin,

I know some folks that just completed a project on a singleplace Nimbus 3, and have done several other gliders as well with good results. Contact me using the webmaster link at http://www.soaringdata.info, and I'll put you in touch.

Lynn Alley
"2KA"
Old September 2nd 13, 08:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alexander Swagemakers[_2_]

Peter Masak had winglets on his Nimbus 3 at the 1989 WGC. There is a Nimbus 3 F-CFUN flying with what looks like Maughmer Winglets. There are some examples with Borowski winglets which have a swept back shark fin type design. There are also some Nimbus 3 with swept back wingtips (Nimbus 4 style) but without winglets. All these examples are installed on the single seater. I have not yet seen or heard of a Nimbus 3D with winglets. Since the wing is basically the same, all these mods should also work for the 3D.

I would also be interested in further information on the topic...
Old September 3rd 13, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Purdie[_3_]

880, a Nimbus 3D at Lasham has winglets. They slide over the factory
wingtips and tape in place

Pic at

http://tinypic.com/r/10eejo1/5

Old September 3rd 13, 11:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chris Nicholas[_2_]

Pete, did they get EASA mod/STC approval for those, and if so, how?

(Not that that is of interest to USA readers, I suppose - no doubt comes under experimental over there)?

Regards - Chris N
Old September 3rd 13, 09:42 PM
Ventus_a Ventus_a is offline
Senior Member

I've been told that Carl Herold had a 3D that had winglets. Does anyone know anything about that setup?

:-) Colin

LS-6C Winglets Cumulus Soaring 0 March 28th 10 12:06 AM
Pik 20 winglets [email protected] Soaring 0 March 18th 07 10:51 AM
Winglets Tony Piloting 10 March 16th 06 04:09 AM
Winglets on a Asw-27a KP Soaring 1 May 27th 05 01:18 PM
winglets for LS-1 Brad Soaring 4 October 26th 04 06:11 PM