Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

Old January 16th 19, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Source for L'Hotellier Safety Clips

Ordered 10 from Schemmp-Hirth a few years ago. 5 left, 5 right. Easy to install.

Part number LS-0043. Right

LS-0044. Left

$35.00 with Shipping.
Old January 16th 19, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The original post was about getting just the safety pins to secure the l'Hotellier ball locking attachment, NOT the actual l'Hotellier fitting itself.
The tiny hairpins that go through the lock hole in the sliding ball retainer were the subject of the post.

In this case, any old pin will work- even a diaper safety pin, assuming there is enough clearance to keep it from hanging up on surrounding structure. (And you are old enough to remember what diaper safety pins are!) A twisted piece of safety wire through the lock hole in the spring-loaded sliding lock plate is a quick and dirty emergency fix, but an actual hairpin clip is better. Doesn't matter where it comes from- Walmart pins work just as well as Schempp-Hirth pins, and you can afford enough of them that you won't cry about dropping them inside the fuselage. But a piece of string can keep them from disappearing.

Another solution is to install Wedekind safety sleeves on the l"Hotellier ball lock fitting. They incorporate a spring loaded retractable sleeve that keeps the l'Hotellier lock plate from retracting, without the need for a safety pin. Easy one handed operation that can be accomplished by feel, and no risk of dropping stuff into the depths of the fuselage.

However, no matter what method you choose, give a healthy tug on the joint. It is not uncommon to THINK you have made a proper connection. only to discover at an inopportune moment that the seemingly proper connection was not, in fact, secure. Ask me how I know this. Fortunately, it was just a failure to connect one spoiler. Landing was a bit weird, but not traumatic like a failure to connect the elevator, or just one aileron, or one flap.
Old January 16th 19, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

From the origional AD. Ford part number you can get on-line or at your local Ford dealership.

safety pin ∅ 1.2 mm, Ford reference no. 1473 931.
Old January 16th 19, 07:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 6:09:12 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Ordered 10 from Schemmp-Hirth a few years ago. 5 left, 5 right. Easy to install.

Part number LS-0043. Right

LS-0044. Left

$35.00 with Shipping.

Apparently US$35.00 is just too much for a glider pilot to pay?
Jim
Old January 16th 19, 12:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 1:50:56 AM UTC-5, JS wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 6:09:12 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Ordered 10 from Schemmp-Hirth a few years ago. 5 left, 5 right. Easy to install.

Part number LS-0043. Right

LS-0044. Left

$35.00 with Shipping.

Apparently US$35.00 is just too much for a glider pilot to pay?
Jim

This is what they look like before installation.

https://i1143.photobucket.com/albums...arNH/LandR.jpg

Tim, Mark, you guys evidently aren't familiar. One of the best examples of minimalist engineering you'll see in a lifetime. Properly installed, the clip stays on the L'Hotellier fitting. To secure, rotate into place and press the wire home (it will fall right into place).

best,
Evan
Old January 16th 19, 01:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Oh crap!Â* My smiley face did not get into the message...

BTW, would thatÂ* ocean front property that you're offering be anywhere
near Reno?Â* Looks like CA is getting ready to slide into the sea...
:-D:-D:-D

On 1/15/2019 6:33 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
The clips I use are stainless steel and the correct size to fit the
hole.Â* Didn't someone else just suggest simply slipping a length of
wire through the hole and twisting it?Â* I suppose I could have spent
25 times as much for a simple pin but I have to save my money to
purchase real estate.

BTW, would thatÂ* ocean front property that you're offering be anywhere
near Reno?Â* Looks like CA is getting ready to slide into the sea...

On 1/15/2019 5:56 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 at 7:47:50 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
I think I had those on my '19 and they could be locked in the blind.

The Walmart pins were cheap, about $0.16 each, do the job, and in two
years not one has come out in service.Â* They're attached to the aileron
control rod by a length of waxed string.Â* YMMV.Â* Of course the Stemme
clips are visible during installation, no reaching through a hole to
install them.Â* I use a hemostat as a tool to help my clumsy fingers get
the pin installed.

On 1/14/2019 8:32 Â* wrote:
T8 is correct.Â* Fit correctly and easy to use.
--
Dan, 5J

But of course any random metal "thingy" purchased from the great
American institution Walmart should be considered flight worthy
without question or test. Call me about some ocean front property I
have for sale

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 16th 19, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Thanks for the measurement, Tim.

There's so much **** at Walmart that it's refreshing to find something
good for a change.Â* With the 1.2mm measurement, I was able to relocate
what I bought.Â* 100 parts for $8.49.Â* I'll never need another one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/1-2mm-x-2...-Pcs/166223262

On 1/15/2019 9:24 PM, Tim Taylor wrote:
1473 931

--
Dan, 5J
Old January 16th 19, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 6:03:51 PM UTC-5, George Haeh wrote:
Any recommendations or vendors who stock them in North America?

Ok let me be a little clearer. These pins from Schempp or Schiecher are made in such a way that when installed on the Hotelier can't come off, can't be dropped They are installed on many ASW 19/20, Std Cirrus and can be easily connected blind. Not sure if you can go to the Yahoo site to see a picture unless you are a member but here ya go:

For a source in north America you can try Eastern Sailplane, Williams Soaring or M&H Soaring.

Colin
Old January 16th 19, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 8:32:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 6:03:51 PM UTC-5, George Haeh wrote:
Any recommendations or vendors who stock them in North America?

Ok let me be a little clearer. These pins from Schempp or Schiecher are made in such a way that when installed on the Hotelier can't come off, can't be dropped They are installed on many ASW 19/20, Std Cirrus and can be easily connected blind. Not sure if you can go to the Yahoo site to see a picture unless you are a member but here ya go:

For a source in north America you can try Eastern Sailplane, Williams Soaring or M&H Soaring.

Colin

Neither T8's nor Colin's links work for me.
Old January 16th 19, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Eight

On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 9:05:29 AM UTC-5, Dan Daly wrote:
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 8:32:07 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Monday, January 14, 2019 at 6:03:51 PM UTC-5, George Haeh wrote:
Any recommendations or vendors who stock them in North America?

Ok let me be a little clearer. These pins from Schempp or Schiecher are made in such a way that when installed on the Hotelier can't come off, can't be dropped They are installed on many ASW 19/20, Std Cirrus and can be easily connected blind. Not sure if you can go to the Yahoo site to see a picture unless you are a member but here ya go:

For a source in north America you can try Eastern Sailplane, Williams Soaring or M&H Soaring.

Colin

Neither T8's nor Colin's links work for me.

Hmmmm, sorry about that.

Here ya go. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yV...E8m65IybZ8Aagp

-Evan / T8

Do L'Hotellier Ball Fittings Wear? Casey[_2_] Soaring 32 April 15th 16 08:04 AM
Source of L'Hotellier Fittings? Six-Seven Romeo Soaring 2 September 1st 15 05:33 PM
l'Hotellier on EB28 rlovinggood Soaring 5 January 27th 08 12:32 PM
L'Hotellier [email protected] Soaring 5 September 9th 05 04:21 PM
Hotellier connections Mike Soaring 38 September 28th 04 04:30 PM